Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Thread: What do I need?

Dedicated Scrapper Gadget Monkey's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)

What do I need?

I have just bought this big chest made of wood, all new, doesn't need sanding or anything and I want to cover it with scrapbook paper...... what do I stick it with and should I varnish it with something.... thank you.

Dedicated Scrapper YorkshireLass's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I would use mod podge to stick the paper on and a spray varnish to seal it - don't know if that's the best way tho!

Sounds like a fun project
    Jules
    My Blog updated 11.7.15

View Gallery

I was thinking of mod podge but wasn't exactly sure what it was..... lol. So mod podge would stick it?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Yes, but if it's a big chest (hoho) it'll work out expensive. You can, I believe, get exactly the same result from watering down some pva. I would choose that option, in fact, because you can make it as thin as you like. The wetter it is, the more it will saturate the paper. Although you have to be careful not to make it too watery or it will cause wrinkling. Also, if it's thinner you're less likely to get brush marks, and you can afford to go over it a few times where necessary.

If you're overlapping the pieces of paper you will need several coats of varnish to disguise the 'lumpiness' of the joins. Presumably you'll need to get one that doesn't discolour, although a bit of yellowing in time might just make for a vintage look!

I'd go for the watered down pva option and spend a bit more on some decent varnish if I were you

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    Like Helen has suggested, I'd use watered down PVA and a coat of varnish. I've done this in the past and it's still surviving today - 15 years ago. I used a brush on varnish instead of spray.

If you google "how to decoupage furniture) it'll give you proper hints and tips I should think.
    Nic

View Gallery

Thank you..... it isn't massively big but too big to go on my desk...... I probably exaggerated a bit though... will go for the PVA option as can get that in Tesco.....