Hello Fun

by Mary Buttons

Hall of the presidents

by scrapdolly

Sept week 3 A&B

by lou@papermaker

BBQ - September House Challenge

by g61

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

ATDML banner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    Ah this shows how we're all different, which is great as wouldn't life be dull if we were all the same? I love 1000 artist journal pages - precisely because the pages don't all look like the Kate Crane kind of style. I think Kate Crane's pages are fantastic and colourful and professionally put together, but it bothers me when some people (and I'm not including you in this Sian as you've seen the alternatives but have specifically chosen the colourful/whimsical style as your personal favourite) seem to think that is the only way, and that that's what an art journal looks like by definition. An art journal is just imagery in a book with maybe some words .... and stylistically that could be absolutely anything ...... and so I really, really love all the variety in the 1000 pages book as it sparks off so many new ideas in my head - compared to the relative "same-ness" that you get on t'interweb nowadays when you search 'art journalling' ....

Incidentally - I have 1000 pages in my book - are we definitely talking about the same book? the one by Dawn DeVries Sokol with the cut out front cover?
    Blog (warning, here be spoilers!) / Art Journals / Be-Stitched CJ

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (34)
    Quote Originally Posted by meggie View Post
    I went to the Knitting and Stitching show at Harrogate yesterday and met Frances Pickering. Her journals are amazing
    http://www.frannyp.co.uk/
    I treated myself to her books - Page after Page and under the cover
    Darn!!!!!!if i'd known she was there I would have gonegrrrrrrrr!!!!!! do you like her books? I have been dithering on buying,what d'you think?
    Matchbox Swap

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Quote Originally Posted by irboo View Post
    Darn!!!!!!if i'd known she was there I would have gonegrrrrrrrr!!!!!! do you like her books? I have been dithering on buying,what d'you think?
    I love them - a lot is just pages from her journals though with some tips about how she makes the books, does backgrounds etc. They are very reasonably priced at £10 and £12

I love Kate Crane's style, but rarely make pages like her unless I'm in one of her classes. Dyan's style isn't mine either, except I'm in her class - totally love Dyan's journals though. Have to say that Dina Wakley is my favourite. When I first met Dina and saw her journals I was just blown away and so disappointed I hadn't booked for her classes (I hadn't even started art journalling then though. Dina's book is due out in February
    Art Journal Freedom: How to Journal Creatively With Color and Composition by Dina Wakley (22 Feb 2013)
    Gill

Twisted sisters aj, Chinese whisper fabric swap, playing card stencil swap
    http://jillydoodling.blogspot.com/

NT is not 'normal' it is just common! Wisher's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (187)
    Another vote here for 1000 pages, love it lots. Also I splurge on the quarterly Art Journal magazine ( which is more like a book and certainly costs as much lol) which I enjoy and can read and re- read. I am cross because I missed the first edition and would have liked the whole set. I'm really looking forward to Dina's book - would love to do one of her classes.
    Swaps: unofficial found poetry (sent - waiting for return) Stocking swap (sent and received) Trading Coins (sent)
    Gill x

ohhhh i seee :) thanks Violaceous's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)

rolling

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    Ah this shows how we're all different, which is great as wouldn't life be dull if we were all the same? I love 1000 artist journal pages - precisely because the pages don't all look like the Kate Crane kind of style. I think Kate Crane's pages are fantastic and colourful and professionally put together, but it bothers me when some people (and I'm not including you in this Sian as you've seen the alternatives but have specifically chosen the colourful/whimsical style as your personal favourite) seem to think that is the only way, and that that's what an art journal looks like by definition. An art journal is just imagery in a book with maybe some words .... and stylistically that could be absolutely anything ...... and so I really, really love all the variety in the 1000 pages book as it sparks off so many new ideas in my head - compared to the relative "same-ness" that you get on t'interweb nowadays when you search 'art journalling' ....

Incidentally - I have 1000 pages in my book - are we definitely talking about the same book? the one by Dawn DeVries Sokol with the cut out front cover?
    erm... ahem... *cough* I've just got it out to check and once again thought yes I'm right there's only 99something pages... then I found the rest - there is 1000. I did think it very very strange but I'm also pleased cos I really like the last few blush!

I think what you've said is spot on about people thinking art journaling is only what KC does and that if it doesn't look like hers it's crap/not right. It can also be hard to make KC style constantly as sometimes its like your trying too hard to make something look how it "should" rather than just going with the flow and truly creating something from within. I have actually made two backgrounds using her dvds that I've still not completed cos I suppose sometimes those style layouts do feel manufactured rather than "journaling" as in from the heart like a written diary would be. Whereas on other occasions I've made a page simply because I've needed to express something and I've seen them through to the end because I had to because I was getting feelings out of me and onto the page and although those pages may not look the same as a copy KC, they do have more meaning.

It's kind of the same thing that happened to me with scrapbooking. I realised I was trying too hard to emulate some designers I liked and that I could either sit for hours trying to create a "perfect" page or I could actually get on and scrapbook my photographs.

I have, as you said, Sarah not just looked at 1000 pages but I've looked all over the net at various styles and have a variety of pictures saved on my puter that look nothing like KC/Dyan R but nevertheless I am drawn to the whimsical colourful style. I do think KC is more technical than DR. Dyan tends to throw things on and write everywhere and is definitely (imho) more chaotic and free-spirited in her journaling than KC who I find takes lots of time and is very slow and precise in putting a page together. That's what I liked about DR's book in that she creates bright colourful pages but does them quicker and easier.

I don't know what KC writes in private but a lot of her stuff is happy and positive and she uses short, definite statements like, "Believe in yourself" and the reason I actually went searching elsewhere in the first place is because I need to journal about dark things. I need black pages of hate and bile and depression - and that really isn't covered in KC's dvds

Sorry to go on again
    I'm Siān Swaps: Alternative Postcard Mixed Media ATC CJ's: Twisted Sisters!!! Team: Secret Swappers House: Blue Brads Pinterest: spiritofsian Crafty Blog: Life In The Sunshine Personal Blog: God's Milk Let us be lovely and let us be kind and let us be silly and free. It won't make us famous it won't make us rich but dammit how HAPPY we'll be. Edward Monkton

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Violaceous View Post
    I need black pages of hate and bile and depression - and that really isn't covered in KC's dvds
    Nothing to stop you making shocking pink and bright orange pages of hate and bile and depression

View Gallery

This is true - I suppose that's really what punk style is isn't it
    I'm Siān Swaps: Alternative Postcard Mixed Media ATC CJ's: Twisted Sisters!!! Team: Secret Swappers House: Blue Brads Pinterest: spiritofsian Crafty Blog: Life In The Sunshine Personal Blog: God's Milk Let us be lovely and let us be kind and let us be silly and free. It won't make us famous it won't make us rich but dammit how HAPPY we'll be. Edward Monkton

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Violaceous View Post
    This is true - I suppose that's really what punk style is isn't it
    'zactly

I grew back ... like a starfish. Kitty Crafts's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (99)
    Sian - this is a page I did a while ago which is a bit dark and depressed ! just like me I was in a mood at the time
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Christmas Stocking Swap *** ATCoin Swap

Blog Thingy

View Gallery

lml

Ooh Karen, love it Whilst we are sharing here's one I did when i was changing my anti-d's and I was very low
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking for a team that needs a new member! danemi1's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (63)
    Oh now I want I need I can't do without.... True Colors: A Palette of Collaborative Art Journals Kathryn Bold ......looking all over for it...seems to be in USA only now! Humph!
    Danemi1 aka Elaine
    my blog

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by danemi1 View Post
    Oh now I want I need I can't do without.... True Colors: A Palette of Collaborative Art Journals Kathryn Bold ......looking all over for it...seems to be in USA only now! Humph!
    do keep looking - my favourite arty book of all time

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by danemi1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    do keep looking - my favourite arty book of all time
    Somebody needs to import that book! I want it too!

My OH has ordered me two books from my wish list for Xmas and my birthday - The Sketchbook Challenge and Brave Intuitive Painting.

I'll write reviews after Christmas!
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Try Blade Rubber. They had true Colors in stock last time I was there
    Gill

Twisted sisters aj, Chinese whisper fabric swap, playing card stencil swap
    http://jillydoodling.blogspot.com/

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)