Aug wk 3 - Going back to the magic

by butterbee

The Old Sea Dog

by scrapdolly

Aug19 _ Monthly House challenge

by new2this

Friday 5 Aug 16 th

by RED HEAD

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

Graphtec UK banner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Good Books for Art Journalers

I love my collection of art books, and find them endlessly useful and inspirational for art journaling. I have several on art journaling specifically, but some of my favourites are more generally about painting, collage, or mixed media techniques, which can easily be incorporated into art journaling.

I know lots of you love your books too, so I thought I'd start a thread so that we can share our opinions and recommendations. I'll kick off with a classic:

'1000 Artist Journal Pages' by Dawn DeVries Sokol
    It's exactly what it says on the tin: a thousand different journal pages by journalers all over the world, gathered together in one book. I like it because it gives a glimpse of lots of different styles, and I seem to notice different ones each time I look at it, depending on my mood. I actually only admire very few of the pages which are featured, but I like the concept of the book as a whole collection.
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 15-02-2012 at 06:55 PM.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    I have that one also, and I agree different things leap out at you every time you read it. It always feels fresh.

I've heard people complain that as it is just pictures of completed pages with no how-tos etc they didn't learn from the book, but there is something really inspirational about seeing so much creativity in one place, and in printed form not on the computer screen.

I'm heading out in a minute, but later tonight or tomorrow I'll have a nose along my bookshelf and pick put some favourites to join in the conversation properly....
    Blog (warning, here be spoilers!) / Art Journals / Be-Stitched CJ

Messy is my middle name! Shirley June's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    Great idea Claudia, I love that book too.
    Like Sarah I will go and check out my book case and come back with a review.
    X Shirley X Journal Your Art CJ completed
    I am one of The Crumblies
    Done at last blog My 12 of 2012 Tags

View Gallery

Well I didnít have time to have a good look at my books last night as we got home too late, but I did grab my favourite ever art journal book of all time off the shelf this morning on my way into work, so I can give it a glowing review.

Itís an oldie (2003) but a goodie: True Colors, A Palette of Collaborative Art Journals (Iíve linked to the US version of Amazon as then you can do the ďlook insideĒ thingÖ. and also the US site has more reader reviews)

Iíve had this book in my grubby mitts for seven years now, but itís one that I still come back to time and time again, and it still feels so fresh and up to date.

In fact, if you look at the picture on the front cover by Judi Riesch (attached), and squint a bit, you can see that it is dated July 2001. But doesnít that look like something youíd see on an art journal page in 2012? These girls were ahead of their time, for sure. Either that or the current batch of super star art journallistas are all somewhat derivative Iíll leave that argument to someone else lol

This book was my first introduction to many artists who are still favourites today, Michelle Ward, Teesha Moore, Lynne Perrella, Anne Bagby, Karen Michel, Claudine HellmuthÖ.and many more

Itís a large format, many paged book with the perfect mix of eye candy and explanation. It is split into colour sections, and the whole feel is like a sumptuous, living colour wheel.

Honestly, if you donít have it yet, and you can find a copy (not so easy in the UK any more sadly), I would highly recommend it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    What a wonderful thread!!! Thanks so much for starting it!
    Fiona..... aka Hope's Grandma

Anything goes ATC Swap

View Gallery

I have not be making AJ pages for long but have been well and truly bitten by the AJ bug. I have accumulated one or two books to help me on the AJ journey.
    One that I pick up and use quite a lot at the moment is Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed Media Techniques by Darlene Olivia McElroy & Sandra Duran Wilson. This link takes you to Amazon UK where there is a look inside link. Although it is not specifically an AJ technique book it has techniques that can be applied to Art journalling.
    From the title you would assume just 45 techniques but each technique has a lot of variations so according to the introduction of the book there are 250 variations! I have not counted them all but I am sure there are. Each technique and variation is illustrated by excellent photos too. Every technique is given a double page spread and accompanied by tips and troubleshooting guidance and I have found those useful.
    There are also photos of completed projects that I have found inspiring.
    I have had this book since Christmas and it has been well thumbed and is one that I refer to all the time when I want try out something new.
    If you click the link to Amazon you will see from the reviews on the site that I am not the only one that rates this book highly.

View Gallery

Thanks Shirley. I've been thinking about that book myself, so it's great to have an opinion from someone I 'know'! I'm adding it to my wish list.

It's a shame 'True Colors' is currently out of print because that looks super too. Looks like a few used copies available in UK, but quite pricey.

I'd like to draw more on my art journal pages and also improve my drawing skills generally so I've therefore been looking at some relevent books recently. I like 'One Drawing a Day; A 6 Week Course Exploring Creativity with Illustration and Mixed Media' by Veronica Lawlor (are we OK with Amz links? I don't think any sponsors sell books)

It's not a 'how to' book which teaches you how to draw. Instead it's a series of exercises to encourage a loose, creative approach to sketching and drawing, using different media.

It's a lively, non-intimidating book and you don't need to be 'good at drawing' - in fact the opposite. It's all about just having a go - being loose and creative, and not worrying about the drawing being 'accurate'. Your level of ability doesn't matter, and in fact the introduction makes it clear it's suitable for beginners.

There's no sitting for an hour pencil-drawing a jug of flowers. Most of the exercises are super-quick (a few minutes) and there's a focus on trying different media and mixing media (crayons, charcoal, ink, colour pencils...whatever you've got).

I haven't had a go at the exercises yet, but I've been reading through and am feeling very inspired to get started. I'll let you know how I get on!
    Claudia

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    I have True Colours too.

The 2 books that I haven't just looked at but had my fingers itching to start creating asre

Collage couture by Julie Nutting http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collage-Cout...9515189&sr=1-1

and

Doodles unleashed by Traci Bautista
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ripbooks%2C233

If you look on my blog I have some doodled girls which is my favourite idea from the book

You can look inside both these books at Amazon
    Gill

Twisted sisters aj, Chinese whisper fabric swap, playing card stencil swap
    http://jillydoodling.blogspot.com/

View Gallery

Sarah I was in a craft shop today and they had True Colours and it somehow fell into my shopping basket.
    I have not put it down since I sat down this evening, it is really amazing, thanks for pointing me towards it.

Another book that I have and enjoy picking up just to browse through is 'An Illustrated Life' drawings and inspiration from private sketchbooks of artists, illustrators and designers. It enables you to peek into 50 different peeps journals. Totally different to AJ books but very good for a nosey person like me.
    It also has interesting info about their choice of journals and materials. Why they journal and links to blogs and websites. A real cross section of styles.
    Last edited by Shirley June; 23-02-2012 at 09:33 PM.

View Gallery

I also have 'An Illustrated Life' Shirley, and I adore it too. I love reading what the artists say about their journaling (such a range of different approaches), and I find the variety of drawing styles really inspiring.
    Claudia

View Gallery

I'm resurrecting this thread as we are getting near Christmas so I'm hoping for ideas to put on my list.

Here's a quick review of my latest art journaling book purchase - 'Dreaming from the Journal Page' by Melanie Testa. Half of this book is fabric-focused so it will be good for those who aren't scared of fabric like me, but there's plenty of paper-based inspiration too - several nice easy techniques and challenges and plenty of photos. Her style includes drawings and I like the fact that she encourages you to draw and to use your sketches on your pages (which I'm currently trying to do more of).

I've got lots of art journaling books so there's always repetition of the same themes and techniques, but this has a few fresh things in it, and is a nice addition to my collection. I'd give it 4/5 stars - definitely worth a look.

Also there's a new art journaling book by Dina Wakley due for release Feb next year - HERE.
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 25-11-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Claudia

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (34)
    I love love love True ColoursI kept coming across the title and really felt I was missing out on something,and just couldn't get my hands on it!!!I ended up getting it from a "book store" that had a used copy for sale from America,when it arrived it was worth all the effort to get it I look at it ALL the time,and,like you Sarah am surprised how long it is since published,tho' I do think it is one of those books that will remain timeless.
    Oooooo and am just gluing an altered book together.....loads of messiness!!!!
    Matchbox Swap

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Lemon View Post
    Here's a quick review of my latest art journaling book purchase - 'Dreaming from the Journal Page' by Melanie Testa.
    I hadn't heard of this one, and I do like working with fabric, so I will pop this one on my trusty Amazon wishlist, thanks for the heads up

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    I went to the Knitting and Stitching show at Harrogate yesterday and met Frances Pickering. Her journals are amazing
    http://www.frannyp.co.uk/
    I treated myself to her books - Page after Page and under the cover
    Gill

Twisted sisters aj, Chinese whisper fabric swap, playing card stencil swap
    http://jillydoodling.blogspot.com/

ohhhh i seee :) thanks Violaceous's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    I have a few art journally books:

Creative Wildfire by L.K Ludwig
    I only found this useful after watching Kate Crane DVDs. As a total beginner I couldn't understand some of the concepts however now that I've been journaling for a year I'm finding it more useful

Mixed Media Girls - Suzi Blu
    This one comes with a DVD that I WILL get round to watching one of these days! Fab if you like Suzi Blu's style, she shows you how to draw faces and more importantly how to draw furbabies

Journal Bliss - Violette
    I love this book it's the style of book that I find inspirational

My Creative Journal Journey - Dyan Reaveley
    Excellent if you like Dylusions and Dyan's style - literally takes you through pages step by step

Zenspirations by Joanne Fink
    I bought this at the NEC earlier this month and absolutely love it. I really struggle with lettering and making basic shapes appear quirky and fun and this book takes you step by step through fancy doodle lettering.

Oodles of Doodles - several authors
    Again another great book for learning to "doodle"

And I also have all 4 Kate Crane DVDs which as a beginner in art journaling I cannot recommend highly enough. Without watching these I would not have known where to begin with or without the books - it really introduced me to the concept of art journaling which I didn't really understand fully. I thought only "artists" could art journal and it didn't occur to me that I could use paint - seriously.

I got all my books as an absolute "beginner" in art journaling/doodling as someone who can't draw and therefore wrote off art at school. When i first saw art journaling I was intimidated and didn't think it possible for "someone like me" - but it really is possible.

I too have the 1000 Artist Journal Pages however I do struggle to draw inspiration from this. A small gripe is that there aren't actually 1000 pages, there are 900 and something (ok that's probably just me being picky?!) and that pages are not the style I like at all - they are nothing like Kate Crane or Dyan Reaveley - which in many ways is great because I like to see other forms of journaling - but in other ways its not so great because I prefer the bright, quirky style of KC and struggle to see what I can get from the majority of the pages featured in this book. That said, I have been inspired by some of the subjects and some of the layouts and I'm keeping hold of it because I think over time it will have different appeal to me and I will be able to take different things from it. But if you are looking for inspiration KC style this book is not for you IMHO.

Ok - longest post ever
    I'm Si‚n Swaps: Alternative Postcard Mixed Media ATC CJ's: Twisted Sisters!!! Team: Secret Swappers House: Blue Brads Pinterest: spiritofsian Crafty Blog: Life In The Sunshine Personal Blog: God's Milk Let us be lovely and let us be kind and let us be silly and free. It won't make us famous it won't make us rich but dammit how HAPPY we'll be. Edward Monkton

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast