Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Scrapbook for beginners

I've been asked to run a scrapbook class for the local community. Very excited! However, I'm also terrified and don't know where to start. I've been given money to buy materials. However, they want everyone to make a 12x12 album so my first challenge is finding *very* cheap albums. I was thinking about doing 'A Book of Me', with a layout each week adding a new technique.

Has anyone got any advice/ ideas/ words of wisdom!

Thank you!
    Smeepee xoxo

ohhhh i seee :) thanks
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    Hi Smeepee

I've run two scrapbooking for beginners courses for the charity I work for, for women in the community. I am happy to PM or email you with full details of what I covered each week. the second time round I did a new technique each week so you may find it very useful. I also bought albums and materials so we could discuss your budget too?

Please PM me if you are interested

Im sure you will love it - the best bit is seeing how impressed people are with their own work and finished pages

Sian xx

Procrastinating Scrapper... Weaselwise's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (46)
    If you have a TK Maxx local to you have a looksee if they have any of their scrapbooking kits in there, last time I was in mine they had loads, all themed, and you got an album and loads of papers/embellies for some ridiculously low price...

Have a look at this thread here - its caused quite a stir lol...

http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards/...d.php?t=323837

Depending on how many people you have, you could either buy a selection of kits and split everything up, or take your 'victims' to choose their own, and then you can guide them thru how to put everything together...

Best of luck with your venture tho!
    ...Weasel AKA Suzie...
    Wise Weasel Witterings ... Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

May I suggest you purchase one post bound album and one ring bound or take your own if you have them. This way people can get a better idea of what is available and the pros and cons of each. Also purchase packs of page protectors to store the finished pages.

As far as what to teach, if I were going to a class for beginners then I would want to learn new techniques each week, so you are on the right track there.

Make sure you let the ladies know about the different sizes of photos, particularly the mini prints if they want to put several photos on a page. It is only in the last few months that I have discovered these and they are brilliant, especially when doing holiday photos.

I am sure you and the ladies will have lots of fun.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (35)
    Hi, I run monthly cardmaking and scrapbooking groups to raise funds for Trinity School in Stalybridge (which is a registered charity). I'd suggest looking on the Marketplace for tools and materials. I have had many brilliant items from sellers on the Marketplace and obviously it cuts costs. Also, many of the sponsors have sales in which you can buy papers etc at a fraction of the normal cost. In my experience, newbies to scrapbooking aren't bothered if the papers aren't from the most up to date collections!! I also have a box of offcuts of papers which people can dip into as you don't always need a full sheet. Gwen xxx

View Gallery

Thank you for such wonderful replies. Sian I will PM you in a second! I would love to see your class plan. No luck in my local TKMaxx unfortunately, but I have a month or two to prepare so will keep looking! They would be perfect. ScrappyJan - fab idea about taking different choices of albums. On the first lesson, I'll take in a few of mine and some mini books, so will make sure I have a good mix. And thanks Gwen for the idea about the marketplace - since hubby banned me from buying stuff I haven't been able to have a nose, so this will be a fab excuse!

Thanks again. Lisa x
    Smeepee xoxo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (60)
    The less experienced scrappers at our crop really like a sketch. There's a few on my blog - please feel free to help yourself.

View Gallery

Also, to solve the expensive album problem you could scrap in A4 and just explain about the different sizes. That way everyone can have an album and be able to add to it quite cheaply as well :-)
    If the only thing I lose today is my mind it'll be a miracle!!

http://shadesofpinkandsparkly.blogspot.co.uk/

View Gallery

Jenny the A4 idea is fantastic - thank you! Would never of though of that. Got "square" shapes on the brain.

Miniowner, I'll definitely be using sketches so thank you for your generosity!
    Smeepee xoxo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (60)
    You are welcome.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (29)
    I'd possibly also consider things like easy to make embellishments - like the rose which you can make with a simple circle. And interesting paint effects like painting on a scrap of bubble wrap and applying the paint to the card. (there's probably a better way of putting that but I think my brain is switching off )

Oh and hand stitching on LO's or doing faux stitching by piercing the holes and then drawing over it with a pen.

View Gallery

Jenny the A4 idea is fantastic - thank you! Would never of though of that. Got "square" shapes on the brain.

No worries. I'm following the A4 thread on here with the aim of maybe changing my layout size too and it's got a good link to acid free pockets from Smiths so no need to compromise on that either. Good luck
    If the only thing I lose today is my mind it'll be a miracle!!

http://shadesofpinkandsparkly.blogspot.co.uk/