Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plant smiles, grow laughter, harvest love Hedgie's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)

Scrapping for a work colleague

I am looking for a little advice. A friend at work today asked me if I would make a scrapbook for her DH who is 50 in October. He is a Shantyman and has done lots of gigs etc. Before my brain had time to think (which is often the case with me ) I said I would. She has programmes, newspapers, articles etc she would want putting in. She said she would pay me for doing it but I would feel awkward about that (I think) Would you ask her to get a pad of papers, scrapbook etc or would you get them, most would be nautical shades.

Any help would be grateful xxxxx

Chinese Whispers Christmas Card Swap Chinese Whisper LO swap

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    I would say to her that i had found the papers,album,embellies i need and they cost x amount and see what she says to that before buying anything. Then she can give you the money to buy the stash you need. In these times nobody can really afford to lay out money for someone else, iykwim so she would not be offended when you ask her for the moneies you need.
    Also, if she does not scrap she may buy anything and everything except what is suitable so maybe it would be best if you buy.
    Sylvia

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we continue to fly...on our broomsticks

Normal? No, I'm just me stillcrafting's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    How wonderful to be asked to do this for her.

Sylvia said what I was thinking. If your friend is a bit shocked at the price of things, maybe you could show her what you were thinking of getting. Has she ever seen any of your work? If not, she may not be fully aware of what is needed and think it's just paper and a few embellies.
    Love, Sarah xoxo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Hi Fran. If I were you I would explain to your colleague the costs of papers, albums etc. She probably thinks that you get 20 pieces of paper for a £1, bet she has no idea of the costs involved in creating a special album! Then take it from there.
    Jill

Just call me DC8!! daisychain888's Avatar
    View Gallery

I agree with the comments already made, when I did a project for a work colleague recently I did a print off of all materials needed (luckily I could get them all from one website more or less) then showed it to her and although she was obviously surprised at the actual cost she happily paid. I still ended up out of pocket though as I just couldn't bring myself to charge her what I should've done for my time involved and I used up a lot of stuff from my own stash which I didn't charge for! One of my resolutions this year is 'never again'! (sorry, I know you probably don't need to hear that!)

'people may forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel'

x Jayne x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (67)
    I too have learned the hard way - but I give a 'proper' price now. Well, when I say proper, I don't charge per hour what I should, but I do factor in a price per hour.

I show people some of my albums and mini albums, and explain the differences and the differences in cost showing what they could get.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    I have also learned the hard way! £5 per page now + cost of album, take it or leave it! I did a beautiful album for a work colleagues husbands 60th, but what I charges her didn't go anywhere near covering the costs or time spent. I enjoyed doing it and she really appreciated it but I wouldn't do it for less than £5 per page for a 12x12.

I would find a shop that sells most of what you need, then print it off & show her and if you want your time paid for add that on too. If there are lots of bits and pieces to put in the album maybe you could do it using page protectors with different sized compartments to slip bits and pieces into, or add in some envelopes.

Cal's idea of showing some examples and price differences may be a way forward.

Good luck!
    Andrea
    Decorated Christmas A5 Notebook Swap

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (97)
    Been there !!
    I was invited to a very posh 50th party where I knew the gifts would be piled high and expensive too so I offered to take photographs of the evening and the make a scrap book album as a gift . Think I could have bought him a crate of champagne for the same as the cost of doing the album !!
    Having said that , they were delighted and although it took forever and I was cursing at the time , it enabled me to try out different styles than I would 'n't usually have used. My advice would be to buy a collection pack of papers to keep costs down and to limit the number of pages you'll say you can do. Ask your friend to sort out the photos and clippings by page and put each in a separate envelope - trust me that will save you hours of sorting and decision making. Show her the website from which she can choose and order the album of her choice.. That way she'll be aware of the cost and it won't make your price seem so high. Learnt from experience - good luck !
    My Blog

Claire

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate_ee View Post
    Been there !!
    My advice would be to buy a collection pack of papers to keep costs down and to limit the number of pages you'll say you can do. Ask your friend to sort out the photos and clippings by page and put each in a separate envelope - trust me that will save you hours of sorting and decision making. Show her the website from which she can choose and order the album of her choice.. That way she'll be aware of the cost and it won't make your price seem so high. Learnt from experience - good luck !
    These are all good ideas. You might also ask her if she minds you using old stuff from your stash - if I were in your position I would be able to find quite a few suitable papers for which I could charge very little because quite frankly the chances are I'd end up giving them away otherwise.

Also, you might think about different formats - for example, using divided page protectors for at least some of the pages so that all you need do is insert photos and/or memorabilia with a journaling card/embellie or two on those pages.

You could also think about using two or three sketches and coordinating all the embellies, so that you can get them all prepared in advance and then just bang out several pages at a time, altering the position of the photos and mats etc, then just adding the same type of embellies in different places. I've seen this approach used in several magazine articles - Shimelle's done a few with mini albums and I think it's a great, relatively stress-free way to go about it.

I agree with what people have said about scrapping for others. One page, fine. But an entire album could become a real millstone around your neck unless you approach it in a way which creates the least work for you. I think this is more important than the cost angle, personally!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (50)
    Fran your stuff is great so it will be well worth the money I'm sure! Just popped on to add that a pack of WRMK mixed page protectors may be a good investment to hold some memorabilia. Good luck and will be watching to see how you get on xx
    [B] Anything goes CJ
    Swaps - chunky 7 April card swap

Make EVERY day your new blank canvas cantstopstampin's Avatar
    No longer in my little village, still in Staffs, but I AM happy !
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    I have made 'themed' exploding boxes for work colleagues (and friends and family) - initially (because I love making them) I have only charged for the actual cost of materials - but the last few that I have made I've charged for materials and a tenner on top - however, OBVIOUSLY that didn't cover any of the time I put into making them but £25 basically for a 4" square box (albeit themed to the individual etc) seemed an awful lot of money.

AND the last one I made for a girl who was having a baby from me personally (I bought a musical mechanism) and themed the box to a nursery theme, she opened it and said 'oh lovely' and never bothered writing a quick note to say thank you! that box cost me £20 to make.

I don't make them for other people now.

MrsT Living in the Sun
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    As well as paper type crafts I knit a lot and have learnt the hard way that while some people love hand made things, they have no idea about the time and money involved. Some people think the supplies cost " next to nothing" and that its somehow a "cheap" way of giving gifts.
    I make all my own cards for bds and christmas...some people love them ..others think I'm cheap. The ones that love them get really nice ones I spend time and love on. The rest get a tidy,neat job that I can turn out quickly.
    Same with knitting it costs more than you think and takes quite a long time to make say..a pair of socks...so I only make them for people that I love and love my socks!
    People do ask me to do things for them and I'm more tham willing for people I know love my stuff.
    For "others" the best way I've found is to tell people how much the materials cost and an idea of the time involved. If they pay for the materials and I've got the time I don't mind as they are paying for my hobby.

Procrastinating Scrapper... Weaselwise's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (46)
    How about taking your friend to a scrapbooking shop so she can see first hand how much stuff is? and mebbe taking some stuff in one lunchtime and sitting with her showing her how you do a page so she gets an idea of how long and how easy/complex/frustrating/fun scrapbooking can be - mebbe get her involved a lot more in the making of this album?

You never know, she might catch the bug and bingo! you have a new scrapbooking buddy!
    ...Weasel AKA Suzie...
    Wise Weasel Witterings ... Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Just call me DC8!! daisychain888's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jillt1405 View Post
    Some people think the supplies cost " next to nothing" and that its somehow a "cheap" way of giving gifts....
    Oh the amount of times I've been told that I must save loads of money making my own cards! **insert me laughing hysterically**

'people may forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel'

x Jayne x

Normal? No, I'm just me stillcrafting's Avatar
    View Gallery

Me too Jayne. If only they knew! Especially as some stores sell 4+ cards for £1.
    Love, Sarah xoxo