Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I only have a Robo but have been using the ratchet blade with great success, although getting rid of the dust build up has been a problem, but now I am aware of it I check it more often.

View Gallery

blade types & prices

Just been reading the posts about the blades for CR & Cameo.
    Is the ratchet blade the one on the Graphtec site that says its the new style one for Silhouette? Can it be used in CR if one uses Silhouette Studio which has the numbered settings. Or is the blade ONLY for Cameo?

I have a CR and have 2 old style blades and may have to replace them soon. Would like a Cameo to be able to cut thicker card but cant afford it!

The Graphtec price for blades is ridiculously exorbitant at £29. Are they trying to force people over to the new ones? Seems a Bit like the Studio software updates which are causing problems and cutting back (excuse the pun!) on features cos they want people to buy the Pro version !!

On the well known auction site there are spindles at £6 for one or 19 for 3, also sets of 3 blades for vinyl - are these latter specifically for vinyl or can they be used for card etc? Theres some made in Germany/Sweden so decent quality not chinese rubbish. Does anyone have experience of trying these?
    I haven't lost my mind, its backed up on disk somewhere........

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    The ratchet blade can be used in the Robo. I bought a set of 3 blades from the auction site but they were not very good ie the soon blunted

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Richard, you can use the ratchet blade holder with the Robo - but we have been advised to use only the first three settings on it, because the Robo isn't designed to cut at the higher ones.

No 1 on the ratchet = blue cap
    No 2 = yellow cap
    No 3 = red cap

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

Regarding the blades bought off the auction site, we all have different experiences of them. I bought 3 over a year ago for half what Graphtec wanted for a single blade, I am using the second of my three blades, not because the first one blunted, but because I had a jam in the machine and I accidentally pressed the blade down hard, breaking the tip off.....otherwise I might still be using that first blade. I still have the third sitting in the drawer as a spare for when this one blunts, so I think they're good value compared to the Graphtec one. I use my Robo maybe 3 or 4 times a week and only cut various vinyl's, so maybe that's why they last a long time? I'm more than happy anyway.

Lindy Lops
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)

Cameo Blades

When I purchased my Cameo back in April, I had read all the comments regarding blades, fortunately I had about 20 CR blades, and I used those regularly and I sharpen them on a piece of silver foil, I am afraid I only use the Silhouette Ratchet blades when cutting something very delicate, and have no problems, it is as everyone says a shame that Silhouette America cannot seem to get this problem sorted. I have also used those blades that come from that well known site and find them to be excellent especially those from Italy and Germany. So Silhouette America will not be getting my money that easily until they sort this problem out.

View Gallery

thanks!

Thanks for your replies - interested that the ratchet blade is better for delicate cuts - is that delicate as in intricate or just small size cutouts? or perhaps both?!
    Ill try the italian/german ones first though.
    I haven't lost my mind, its backed up on disk somewhere........

View Gallery

OK Peeps

I was alerted to a Youtube video showing how to remove bits from your cameo blade, I would suggest using a blunt blade first to see if it works for you. Whilst it looks impressive because I can't speak german, all I can say is that the woman must have a very strong firm grip!!!!! I may need the aid of a vice....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5EC9tlh96rQ

View Gallery

Wow Angel,
    I cant quite believe ive seen that lady do that it looks so simple why couldnt Graphtec told us how to do that then perhaps we wouldnt be complaining as much!!! and we could all get our bits out.
    I cant understand German either but i could see what she was doing.
    But as you say she must have a good grip.

Dakflowers

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Thanks for the link Angela. I read about taking it apart on another forum but being able to watch it being done is easier to grasp. I didn't bother with sound after you saying it's in German but it was still plain to see what she was doing

View Gallery

Ive just tried to take cap off it i cant budge it at all!!!
    Dakflowers

View Gallery

Have held off commenting as I have not bought the Cameo as yet.

I do not want to have to buy the required blade and holder unit for about $15.00
    when I can buy a replacement blade for the Craft Robo for $3.00

If I don't have the comparison right, I am sure someone will set me straight.
    Petrina

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Dakflowers View Post
    Ive just tried to take cap off it i cant budge it at all!!!
    Dakflowers
    Use a hammer if it breaks it needed replacing anyway

CARD MAKER AND CR OWNER
    View Gallery

C'mmon you German speakers - help us out here - what is she saying? Anything that the film alone does not explain???

Also - $15 for a new Cameo blade and $3 for Robo ??????
    Here they are at least double that price and in Pounds Sterling and the exchange rate makes it worse. Someone somewhere is getting ripped off by the sound of it.

Dedicated Crafter
    View Gallery

I got my Cameo when they were first on sale last year and find that it depends on what card you are cutting as to the the blade getting bits in it. I have found that card that is non fibrous cuts perfectly and does not clog the blade I cut 260 gsm photo quality copy paper and it cuts perfectly with no bits getting in to the blade I have been using the same blade for months and have had no problem cutting with it.
    I have in fact only had 2 blades for my Cameo in all the time that I have had it and I use it all the time.