Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (79)

Ikea furniture recommendations

I'm looking for a cupboard type unit with shelves and doors. The shelves need to hold 12 x 12 albums so will need to be at least 14" deep and 14" high (between shelves). Ideally, have 2 shelves but 3 would be good. Doors are must, don't want dust on anything and it would have to be white to match the rest of the craftroom furniture.

I need to replace the Ikea cupboard I have as only 1 side has shelves and the other side is open. It used to house my wire cardstock holder unit but as I have sold all the cardstock I am not using that for the moment. I had 2 carpenters round to give me quotes to put shelving on that open half of the cupboard and was told it would be cheaper to buy furniture with the shelving already in it.

I already have an Expedit, to which I have added doors and draws to all the cube (dust paranoid ) so am looking for open shelving (rather than cubes) with doors if that makes sense

Can anyone recommend something please?

Born to Shop ~ Live to Scrap pinkladymel's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    The STUVA range is fantastically adaptable and the right size. You can have drawers as well as shelves.

LIATORP is a lovely range with doors to buy seperate but gets pricey.
    ♥♥ Come Visit My World♥♥

Normal? No, I'm just me stillcrafting's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    I know it has more shelves, but if you have the height available, what about an Ikea Expedit 5x1? You can add doors or boxes and they fit 12x12 albums.
    Love, Sarah xoxo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    I have 2 Besta units & love the versatility of them. You can buy in a range of colours, I have white. You can buy doors, drawers, filing drawer and a host of other stuff. The shelves are not fixed, offering you the flexibility to place at heights that suit you (which I love as I can change them to suit my needs rather than being stuck with fixed shelving). I have two printer type trays for mine, Plasctic drawers (approx 2 1/2 " deep) which are great to hold paints/ink pads/punches etc. I also bought a tray that acts a kind of easel so you can have your lo on that or display a magazine pic etc.

I would suggest looking at each range in Ikea to get a feel for what you want.
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?query=besta

Good Luck and be sure to let us know how you get on!
    Andrea
    Decorated Christmas A5 Notebook Swap

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    I have Besta and Bonde and i find them much more versatile than the Expedit and there are loads of options for accessories too

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    I used to have my stash in an Expedit, but that is now in my childrens bedroom to hold all their toys. I am currently using a single PAX wardrobe, it is white, with lots of shelves that can be adjusted. It was left in our house in one of the bedrooms, but we didnt need it there, so moved it downstairs for my stash instead. It seems to work well. You can get all sorts of combinations. Have you double checked that the Ikea cupboard you currently have isnt part of one of Ikeas systems that can easily have the shelves added (mine had a hanging rail and things in originally).
    Amy -x-
    ScAtTy ScRaPpErS
    July 2015...LOs 12 total 120
    Aug 2015...LOs 7 total=70
    ***My Scrapbook Pages Blog***

No animals were injured in the making of this picture! JenniF's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    I have an expedit unit for my scrap stuff in my spare bedroom and a very glamorous besta unit as my media unit in my living room. both are fantastic! For what you have suggested the besta syste is perfect although it can mount up in price, mind you I have the glossy red doors and drawer fronts which I think made the cost of mine add up. Billy bookcases also come with doors I think and I know lots of people use them for storage also the only problem being that I don't think the shorter ones come in the wider width.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (79)
    Quote Originally Posted by A_M_Y View Post
    I used to have my stash in an Expedit, but that is now in my childrens bedroom to hold all their toys. I am currently using a single PAX wardrobe, it is white, with lots of shelves that can be adjusted. It was left in our house in one of the bedrooms, but we didnt need it there, so moved it downstairs for my stash instead. It seems to work well. You can get all sorts of combinations. Have you double checked that the Ikea cupboard you currently have isnt part of one of Ikeas systems that can easily have the shelves added (mine had a hanging rail and things in originally).
    Amy, hadn't thought of looking to see if the one I have can have shelves added, good idea, I'll check.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to share your ideas, will have a look at all of them this evening. I'll be sure to let you know what I decide to go for.