Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Can Silhouette Emboss ?

Good Morning all, I would really like to do some embossing on my pages, but I don't think the silhouette can emboss. If not what, could anybody suggest what to buy, I've been searching all morning on the web can came up with big shot, seem to be best value for money. Any ideas.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by susan4 View Post
    Good Morning all, I would really like to do some embossing on my pages, but I don't think the silhouette can emboss. If not what, could anybody suggest what to buy, I've been searching all morning on the web can came up with big shot, seem to be best value for money. Any ideas.
    You can make your own embossing folders with your Silhouette, there's a video here
    Last edited by DJG; 09-10-2011 at 09:46 AM.

The last remaining B-17 still flying in the UK (apparently!!!) SallyB's Avatar
    Bucks. With beautiful birds in my garden!!!
    View Gallery

Ooooo good question and GREAT response! Thank you both xx
    Sally xx

View Gallery

It's being looked into.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    It's being looked into.
    That sounds very interesting Lucille, it would be great if they found a way for the Cameo to do it.

View Gallery

bleh Embossing tool for Cameo

YES YOU CAN. I purchased my embossing attachment from ebay, item number is

I hope that helps

Kind regards
    GracieEmily

View Gallery

Is the holder made of metal or plastic?

View Gallery

bleh Cameo embossing attachment

If you go to ebay and put in the item number you can see the picture and you can contact the seller for more info that you need. I have ordered mine and waiting to receive it.

Regards
    GracieEmily
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GracieEmily; 19-11-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: forgot to mention I haven't yet received mine.

View Gallery

Sorry GracieEmily I should have said welcome to the forum in my first post.

The reason I ask is in their listing they say it can be used with the Robo (as well as other machines) but Graphtec say if it's metal it's too heavy for the Robo carriage although I don't know if it's too heavy for the Cameo.
    Last edited by DJG; 19-11-2012 at 11:29 AM.

View Gallery

Thank you for your welcome, that is very kind. I've never been on one of these sites before where you can ask questions etc, very useful.

As soon as I get mine, (I have the Cameo) I shall try it and let you know my verdict.

Kind regards

View Gallery

Thank you that would be really helpful to know.

If you need any help with you machine just ask there's always someone willing to help and there are lots of tutorials for different software's here

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    In general these tools will work best on stuff like thin/soft metal - I think you'll find they're not very good with paper or card. You would also need a softish backing rather than the rigid carrier sheet for embossing to work properly. Having said that I did a small amount of (I'd call it engraving rather than) embossing as such with a "dead" biro on silver metallic card using my Cameo with the carrier - there's a photo in my gallery. It required multiple passes and a high force - not something you can easily do with the less powerful Robos.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

It can be done but isn't easy and the results are not brilliant. I have done a limited emboss on the Cameo.
    I used an embossing tool in the pen holder. The problem you'll have is the mat is too hard to allow the pen to indent the paper/card much. I did add a layer of very thin polystyrene sheet that some items come wrapped in. You have to tape the sheet down and cardstock ( on top of that) with masking tape to keep it in place. It worked.
    You have to judge how much pressure to use as well as how much of the embossing tool shows because if its to close to the paper it leaves a line as the tool moves across the mat.

I tend to use my Bigshot and embossing folders for anything I want embossed. as already stated you can make your own embossing mats by cutting layers of shapes on the Silhouette. I do have a tutorial for that on my blog.
    Last edited by cariad_1; 20-11-2012 at 12:30 AM.