Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

What it this for?

When I bought my silhouette 330 a couple of months ago it included a package which contained a few sheets of odd shaped vinyl, some sheets which would appear to be for labels and a wooden tool which is tapered at one end and the other has what I at first thought was a pricking tool but this it cannot be.
    Since there are no instructions, I do not have a clue what to do with it, could anyone please tell me what it is for and if there are any video's available to show me what it can do.

Sorry to be a pain but if I do not ask I shall never know, or use my machine to its full potential.

Thanking you in advance,
    Dorothy x

View Gallery

If one end isn't sharp like a pokey tool, then it sounds like it might be the thing for picking up bits like rhinestones or similar, does it feel a bit sticky?

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Could the stick be for removing the bubbles when applying vinyl that's been cut to shape?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    That's right...it is for burnishing the vinyl.
    Best Wishes
    Tootsie (Diane)

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Tootsie View Post
    That's right...it is for burnishing the vinyl.
    What does burnishing vinyl do to it?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thank you for the information about my mystery tool. Since it has such a fine point I have found that it comes in useful for pushing out the tiny cut pieces from intricate designs, my proper pokey tool used for paper pricking is a little too thick. The other end I have used to take the little pieces of my carrier sheet rather than getting them off with my scalpel. I am sure that there must be an easy way to get these little pieces off my mat, would you more experienced silhouetters have any suggestions to offer.

Thanks again for the information.
    Dorothy

View Gallery

Use an old credit card or the end of a ruler.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    What does burnishing vinyl do to it?
    Polishes it to a beautiful glossy sheen - what else!!

Actually it's just a posh name for sticking it down good and flat and getting rid of any bubbles by rubbing it all over with the burnishing tool (aka in some crafty situations as a lolly stick!)... as Doreen suggested. I assume it's a term crossed over from a technique like applying gold leaf.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    Polishes it to a beautiful glossy sheen - what else!!

Actually it's just a posh name for sticking it down good and flat and getting rid of any bubbles by rubbing it all over with the burnishing tool (aka in some crafty situations as a lolly stick!)... as Doreen suggested. I assume it's a term crossed over from a technique like applying gold leaf.

Rosemary
    I thought vinyl was already shiny? I've seen burnishing done on paper projects, I can't remember what paints or pens where used, that is why I asked I can't imagine what I saw being possible on vinyl, but I'm always willing to learn something new.

View Gallery

It's the only tool I use except for a stanley knife

The pointy end is for weeding out all the little bits of vinyl from your cuts and the sloped flat wooden end is used for either holding down the lettering/design when you are actually removing the waste from around your design, so it doesn't all come off together, or simply to flatten it out before you apply the application tape. An incredibly useful and simple tool.

Card Maker and Robo Fanatic
    View Gallery

rolling

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    It's the only tool I use except for a stanley knife The pointy end is for weeding out all the little bits of vinyl from your cuts and the sloped flat wooden end is used for either holding down the lettering/design when you are actually removing the waste from around your design, so it doesn't all come off together, or simply to flatten it out before you apply the application tape. An incredibly useful and simple tool.
    What on earth are you using a Stanley knife for when you have Robo (the mind boggles) or are you using a Craft knife - are you creating a secret template we know nothing about. Only joking
    Nana Pam

View Gallery

Ha ha, no...the Stanley knife I use for cutting the separate designs out of the A4 sheet, together with a ruler of course
    I tend to cram as many designs/words/whatever onto that sheet to save on wastage, then the ones I don't need at the moment I put into envelopes in a filing system.
    I have found that using an A4 sheet just to cut a couple of items out leaves a smaller sheet, then smaller still the next time you want to use it, and Robo doesn't like small bits of vinyl stuck to the carrier sheet to be cut out, they tend to move around.
    ATB
    Nige