Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

I am the penguin, Koo koo ka choo __TJ__'s Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)

help which photo editing software?

hi, ive been on Paint shop pro 9 for about 6 years and i know how to drive it as it were, but something has gone hinky with my pc and i need a new photo editing software to play with.

can anyone reccomend one and where to get it. i am reasonably savvy with functionality but need clone/blur/black and white and brushes options. thanks.
    I Live in Canada I got three kids, two dogs and "some" hens. 🐓 oh and three goats!!! And I make cheese now. Blessed are the cheesemakers. 🧀🐐🐐🐐🦆🦆
    "Not worse is almost as good as better" Terry Pratchett speaking about altzimers, but it works for Aspergers too.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    I couldnt live without photoshop, I think i'd get a new laptop before going for new software. But if its just a bit of smartening up of photos I do sometimes do a quick pass in Picasa

really scrappy scrapper sheilaj's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    sorry I am not sure why changing software will sort the computer problem?
    Tee Hee I am now retired
    Swaps: Handmade/Layered Flowers Swap sent 12,05.10

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    DH is always banging on about The Gimp. It's free and has all the functionality of full photoshop. You might consider it.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Personally I couldn't manage without Photoshop Elements. I use version 7 (they are on 9 now), and can do most things in it. I also digiscrap with it, and have been able to do all the things you want with ease.

Typical phrase: "Ooh I could scrap that!" Nabview's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    GIMP is great - it has much of what you'd expect from Photoshop - and it's free to download!
    Find me on my blog: Notes on Paper; on Twitter: @notesonpaper and here on Pinterest.

View Gallery

Hate gimp cos it's all fragmented! There's different panes for everything and no cohesion, jack thinks it's awesOme but I just can't get on with it.

Changing software will help because psp9 is not compatible with vista, but has been working with reduced functionality for a while, new windows update has nixed that so I either change operating system, get a newer v of psp if they have gotten over their tiff with windows and made a compatible version, or learn completely new software.

I hate change lol. Thanks all for the suggestions. At the mo I have to pit photos on to sd card edit them on my lappy then put them back on the card to take to the printer/desktop pc cos I don't have wifi on my printer! Faff! Especially given the hideously limited time I get to scrap at the moment!
    I Live in Canada I got three kids, two dogs and "some" hens. 🐓 oh and three goats!!! And I make cheese now. Blessed are the cheesemakers. 🧀🐐🐐🐐🦆🦆
    "Not worse is almost as good as better" Terry Pratchett speaking about altzimers, but it works for Aspergers too.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    If you go to the Adobe site, you can download a fully functional 30 trial of Photoshop Elements to play with and see if you like it. Might be worth a try.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    TJ is your printer usb then? If so why not just take the printer wire off the desktop and plug it into the lappie when you want to print the photos? You used to be able to get a switch/splitter (kind of two way switch that directed which computer the printer went to) but not sure if they still do those as it was way back in the days of my BBC Master, but it might be worth a seach.

In reality the best of the best of the best software for photo and graphic manipulation has got to be some version of photoshop - after all its what the film industry use for all their graphics. Did you know all the star trek and Babylon 5 stuff was rendered in photoshop? So for something long term I suggest you get photoshop. Elements is not too dear, but go for the best version you can affort.

Another reason for going for photoshop is that there is sooooooo much free stuff out there which is fantastic for scrapbooking, expecially actions for enhancing photos and brushes for adding that wow! factor to your photos.

As I said, I would buy a whole new laptop rather than go without my photoshop, I rate it that much!!!

really scrappy scrapper sheilaj's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    I used to rate psp like that till I got a Mac. I can't afford full photoshop and keep coming up against stuff that PSP does that pse can't (layout printing, individual drop shadow editing to name but 2)
    Tee Hee I am now retired
    Swaps: Handmade/Layered Flowers Swap sent 12,05.10

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    Another vote for photoshop elements - I'm on version 9 and have upgraded each time there's a new one. Can's be without it.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jampot View Post
    If you go to the Adobe site, you can download a fully functional 30 trial of Photoshop Elements to play with and see if you like it. Might be worth a try.
    Thanks ladies I'll try that, trial is great cos I can play with it at leisure.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (52)
    I use an old version of PSE (v5) and moved to this from Paint Shop Pro which I couldn't figure out at all lol! There are loads of free tutorials available, try Jessica Sprague and Two Peas in a Bucket.
    A Bowl of Cherries - My personal blog

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I'm a bit of a computer cabbage, is there anything that is really easy to use (sorry ladies, I don't find photoshop easy)

Where do you download this Gimp from, if it's any easier ???

Thanks.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Gimp is basically the Open Source version of Photoshop and therefore not that much different to use. Have you tried picnik? It's an extension of google's Picasa programme and I find it quite useful for quick jobs or when I'm on a computer that doesn't have PS.

It's here http://www.picnik.com/app but it's an online app.