Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

change your thoughts and you change your world... Sparklypoo's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)

Die cutting system - which is best?

Hi everyone

I've decided to invest in a Die Cutting Machine, but have no idea which does what, or whats good...

I want one to make big individual letters (around 5'' tall) out of cardstock... do any make large cardstock triangles for making bunting? And i'd also like to be able to die cut felt through it..

Any suggestions???!

Many thanks!
    X

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    We all have our own favourites and it also depends on how you use your machine or system. Mine is the Big Shot because it's sturdy, it cuts several papers at once, it cuts just about any brand of die, and it's easy to use (even though I do have arthritis in my hands). I'm sure you'll get others who equally recommend their Cuttlebugs, Gran Calibres, Spellbinders, etc.

I also have one of the original-size Cricuts but seldom use it, to be honest. Too much trouble to get it out, plug it in, find the right cartridge (I also use 'Sure Cuts a Lot' but that also requires a computer connection), etc.

As for the HOW, I usually only cut 1-3 shapes at a session, and only 1-3 pieces of paper, whether I'm using the Big Shot or Cricut. If it's just one thing I need, I'd prefer just a punch, but if I don't have one I go to my Big Shot. For doing alphabetical characters, I stamp and cut with scissors or use my Cricut.

Hope that helps.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    If you're going to want to cut out specific shapes such as the large letter and bunting you mentioned, you might want to look at the electronic machines which, I believe, will cut pretty much any shape you want depending on the spec. I couldn't be faffed with one myself and haven't got much space, but if you buy a Big Shot or Cuttlebug then you're restricted to the manufactured dies. The shapes you mention might exist, but it would be expensive buying them all.

In your place I think I would want to be sure I'd use an electronic machine before shelling out. I often see them for sale not because people have upgraded but because they just don't use them.

Maybe you should start with something simpler and then see if you want to upgrade; you can always shift a Big Shot or Cuttlebug on here if you decide to go for something more complex!
    Last edited by Nerlly; 11-05-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: wasn't making any sense....duh

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (67)
    I swear by either the Cuttlebug or Big Shot !

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I swear by my big shot, love it!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    I have the Big Shot and love it, but if you want to make individual letters that size, it can work out very expensive and hard to find the dies you want.

I also have a Craft Robo lite (about £99). I had a year break from it because I upgraded laptop and couldnt get it working, (software problem) now it works no problems and I can cut any shape I want. It doesnt cut felt though.

And finally, I am just about to get a Slice Elite for my Birthday, I want it so I can pick it up cut as and when I want because I cant leave my Craft robo out all the time

There are so many machines out there, and unfortunatly I dont think one machine ever does exactly averything you want it to. Thats possibly why many crafters have more than one cutter.
    x

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    it also depends on if you want a manual machine or electronic.

as has been said with the manual ones, big shot, cuttlebug etc they are great but you can only cut a pre purchased die and what if there isnt one available.

electronic cutting machines will cut what you want in what ever size.

however it depends on what machine you have as to what media it will cut.

i now have the pazzles and it will cut many many types of media, i have people contacting me asking me to test cut media for them before they buy.

ive cut chipboard (the craft stuff not the diy stuff) acrylic, acetate, shrink plastic, all types of card, plain, embossed, glitter, vinyl, sticky plastic, felt, fabric and so much more.

they are not cheap but if you factor in the cost of a manual machine and then what you will spend on dies in the long run it will pay for itsself.

they are also not small so you need the space to accommodate, my pazzles is probably about the size of a printer but not as deep.

work out what you want to do and how you want to use it and then try and find something that fits your budget.

i would add i have a cuttlebug and like it but dont use it very often but i have cut fabric and felt with it too.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (31)
    i love my Cricut Expression, can cut letters from 1/2inch to 12 inches! Could cut the triangles too!!
    It won't do felt tho!!!

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by leigh11 View Post
    i love my Cricut Expression, can cut letters from 1/2inch to 12 inches! Could cut the triangles too!!
    It won't do felt tho!!!
    have you tried using heat and bond on it thats what i put on soft felt and fabric and my pazzles cuts it great.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by stressed View Post
    have you tried using heat and bond on it thats what i put on soft felt and fabric and my pazzles cuts it great.
    nope--not tried that!! but may have to LOL

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Another vote for the Big Shot here too. I also have an electronic die cutter and as has already been said here, they both do somewhat different things.
    My BS will cut through really thick card 3to 4 layers at a time and they have sizzix dies including large letters which look great on cards, lo's etc however I'm limited to the font of the die and size of the actual dies they produce.

With the electronic cutter I can cut any font, any size upto 12" x 24" however I'm pretty limited to the thickness of card it will cut, granted you can cut multiples of the same and layer them but it can be really fiddly - it's the cricut expression that I have and I've found over time that it isn't great with cutting smaller or intricate patterns.
    I would definitely buy another electronic machine but it wouldn't be another cricut . I've been recommended a few others recently which are a lot more versatile, the lynx, black cat cougar and the pazzles but they are expensive so it's a big layout in comparison to the manual cutters.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by krafty1 View Post
    With the electronic cutter I can cut any font, any size upto 12" x 24" however I'm pretty limited to the thickness of card it will cut, granted you can cut multiples of the same and layer them but it can be really fiddly - it's the cricut expression that I have and I've found over time that it isn't great with cutting smaller or intricate patterns.
    i found that too--but once i replaced the blade and mat, all was well again

change your thoughts and you change your world... Sparklypoo's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Thank you so much for all your replies - invaluable advice! Going to get researching the options suggested xx

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Apologies a little late... but I would just say the Spellbinders Grand Calibur is great for its wider cutting plate, especially now as they've brought out gorgeous large die templates and you can create mini books and more.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Just to add my 2p-worth, I've got the Xyron personal cutting system (do they still make it?) and its OK. Just OK. I don't have room to leave it out all the time, but it doesn't take long to plug in, and everything cust in 3 sizes BUT you have to buy extra books (it comes with one alphabet (shadowed) and basic shapes) and I've had problems with thinner paper tearing, or the paper skiidding so it doesn't cut. And there's a fair bit of card wastage 9but you can use leftovers of 4" square so that's a good use of oddments).

It all comes down to space, budget and personal taste in the end (but I would like a big shot....)