Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I too dithered about what to do but the other way round to you.

I really really wanted a Mac but also wanted to continue using my robo.

The only way to use Robo with a Mac is to instal Windows either with bootcamp or parallels.

I researched thoroughly and thought doing this would slow the Mac down too much so my solution was to buy a Mac and a laptop with Windows to use for roboing. Not the cheapest option obviously, and not that convenient either.

Not sure I made the right choice.

I did hear, can't remember where, that there are plans to make the robo software multi platform but maybe that's me wishful thinking

really scrappy scrapper sheilaj's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfhreid View Post
    Thanks everyone for all your comments, but unfortunately I'm still none the wiser.

I should have mentioned in my first post that I do NOT want to run Windows emulation software, as that would involve both further expense (a copy of Windoze), and running Windows.

Basically what I'm trying to find out is how can I use a CR with a Mac - without Windows or Illustrator?

Can you cut from Inkscape - on a Mac.
    Can you use the Silhouette Studio software on a CR?
    Does it matter what the file format is for the CR (i.e. .studio or .gsd)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to buy a giant paperweight!

TYVM,

Margaret

Yes!!! you can use the old CR with Silhouette studio. I downloaded it yesterday onto my MacBook Air and cut straight away with my old CR. The new CR comes with info on how to get a plug in that works with Adobe Illustrator to cut and the new Design Master software comes in both Mac and Windows format. I am not sure if you can use the new CR with Silhouette studio. I don't think the Studio used gsd's so may be difficult if you want to buy items. I am not sure about file format changing.
    Tee Hee I am now retired
    Swaps: Handmade/Layered Flowers Swap sent 12,05.10

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by sheilaj View Post
    Yes!!! you can use the old CR with Silhouette studio. I downloaded it yesterday onto my MacBook Air and cut straight away with my old CR. The new CR comes with info on how to get a plug in that works with Adobe Illustrator to cut and the new Design Master software comes in both Mac and Windows format. I am not sure if you can use the new CR with Silhouette studio. I don't think the Studio used gsd's so may be difficult if you want to buy items. I am not sure about file format changing.

Hi Sheilaj

When you say 'The old CR?' are you referring to the old blue model or the 2nd generation Craft Robo.

And yes the Silhouette Studio does open most GSD files, there is a slight software glitch with importing other GSD files, some will some won't. Silhouette are looking into it, and the other most important glitch is the fact that you can't backup your files with the Silhouette Studio which Silhouette are also looking into.

What I do at the moment is download files using my Robomaster software and then import into the Silhouette Studio, as i said before this works with all Silhouette purchased files and only a few other GSD files. I haven't tested out the latest update to see if the importing of all other GSD files have been sorted yet, will get back to you as soon as I have tested the latest update.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Angel13 View Post
    Hi Sheilaj

When you say 'The old CR?' are you referring to the old blue model or the 2nd generation Craft Robo.

And yes the Silhouette Studio does open most GSD files, there is a slight software glitch with importing other GSD files, some will some won't. Silhouette are looking into it, and the other most important glitch is the fact that you can't backup your files with the Silhouette Studio which Silhouette are also looking into.

What I do at the moment is download files using my Robomaster software and then import into the Silhouette Studio, as i said before this works with all Silhouette purchased files and only a few other GSD files. I haven't tested out the latest update to see if the importing of all other GSD files have been sorted yet, will get back to you as soon as I have tested the latest update.
    mine is the old blue C100 20
    Tee Hee I am now retired

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Ah! This is good news indeed, and we are getting closer to answering the question, "Does the new Silhouette Studio software for Mac work on the latest Craft Robo?" That faint glimmer of hope, instead of being eclipsed by the fog of disappointment, is shining anew.

My researches into the Design Master software only indicate that it works natively on Windows; indeed when I wrote to Graphtec a month ago they said the only way to use a Mac & CR was to use the AI plugin. As I don't have the spare ££ for AI, and would like to avoid buying more software, I have been trying to find a way to run Mac & CR without extra expense.

Thanks,

Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by sheilaj View Post

View Gallery

yes they have just told me by email that design master is only written for windows which is a poo cos I had it as a gift the year before last. They didn't mention the Silhouette software so nether did I but it is available to download free with no need to register a silhouette
    Tee Hee I am now retired

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mfhreid View Post
    Ah! This is good news indeed, and we are getting closer to answering the question, "Does the new Silhouette Studio software for Mac work on the latest Craft Robo?" That faint glimmer of hope, instead of being eclipsed by the fog of disappointment, is shining anew.

Margaret
    Start a new thread and ask if anyone who has either of the 2 new CRs will try cutting from the sil software, I'm sure there is someone who wouldn't mind doing it. If you post that request on this thread it could take longer before someone sees it.

No need I just started one as I would like to know as well.
    Last edited by Lucille; 04-10-2010 at 04:28 PM.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

mfhreid, cattigace passed on word to me re: using your CR on your Mac. I was on holiday but also had got caught up on things and only now getting round to answering your problem.

However I can understand you saying you - not wanting to download further software as it can be quite costly. But for what it's worth I use Parallels 5 + Windows XP. I am now also able to use all my old craft cd's.

I hope you can manage to get things sorted and able to enjoy your Mac.
    Bon Bon
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
    You grow old because you stop laughing!!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Yesssss!!!!!

I have just managed to cut one of my gsd files from the templates sections on A MAC using the SILHOUETTE software.

Settings need tweaking but will worry about that later when I've got more time.

I am soooooo happy. Shame I wasted money buying a laptop, but never mind will find a use for it.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
    Yesssss!!!!!

I have just managed to cut one of my gsd files from the templates sections on A MAC using the SILHOUETTE software.

I am soooooo happy. Shame I wasted money buying a laptop, but never mind will find a use for it.
    Your a star, great news for Mac users. Thank you very much for trying that for us and reporting back.

What did you think of the software? I liked it, shame about the private file format and they can't share their files unless the DXF bug can be sorted. very pleasing to the eye and smooth to work with.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

YIPPPEEEE!!

Keep me posted!!

Now I'm curious to know if it will work using a Silhouette-native file, i.e. a .studio file. (Fingers crossed)

TYVM,
    Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
    Yesssss!!!!!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi Margaret

Would seem we can now get the best of both worlds.

Software hangs and crashes a bit but whatever. Just restart.

Its worth the effort because Silhouette Studio is soooo good. More user friendly than both design master and robomaster imo.

Love the fact that there are so many options for different weights of paper/card. There's even one for tranparencies which I use a lot.

Only criticism is, not many ready made shapes, but you can make most with a rectangle and an oval. Weld tool and eraser easy to use.

I'm not an expert by no means. Have only ever designed about half a dozen of my own files, prefer to adapt ones from here or ones I have bought (mainly from Tina, who IS an expert).

With the Silhouette Studio I can open .GSD or .Studio files so it suits me but file sharing/converting might not be possible. I haven't got that far anyway.

Just need to point out my Robo is an older one I think CC200-20 so don't know about newer ones.

Now its possible to use a MAC and A Robo go for it. I am sure the teething problems will be sorted soon.

Graphtec GB
    View Gallery

Good Afternoon all, I havn't had a chance to visit here for a while, but as a Mac user myself, I think I can add some clarity.

At the moment, the best and most successful way to connect to a Mac is through Adobe Illustrator, however, as Margaret rightly pointed out, Adobe Illustrator is very expensive. She also stated that she doesn't want to work through emulation software like Parallels however, for others, this is an excellent way of driving your CraftROBO and works seamlessly.

The third way of driving the CraftROBO from a Mac is to use Boot Camp, this enables you to boot your Mac either as a Mac or a PC and once again works well.

There will shortly be a better option. Many of you are probably not aware, but Graphtec America purchased Silhouette in late 2009. It is our plan to eventually merge the two product lines together taking the best of both products.

The launch of the new Silhouette software for Mac and PC is the beginning of this new co-operation. There are still a few bugs in the software to iron out, for instance there are issues with A4 paper sizes versus US letter paper sizes, but this should all be sorted before Christmas. As soon as this is finalised, you will be able to download the new software from us FOC.

You will also be able to get the Silhouette download cards from us at the same time.

Meanwhile, feel free to download the new software from the Silhouette America website, but please be careful, there are a few bugs in it yet.

So back to where we started, my advice to Margaret would be to buy a CraftROBO, but download the Silhouette software for Mac.

I hope that helps

Phil

Graphtec GB Limited

View Gallery

Phil that is briliant news!
    Tee Hee I am now retired

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Woohoo!!! and Hurrah!!

Thank you very much, Phil - a bit of clarity was just what was needed!

BTW, I have already downloaded the Silhouette software and have had a go. It hasn't crashed on me yet, but it's early days . . .

Regards,

Margaret

Quote Originally Posted by philk View Post
    good afternoon all, i havn't had a chance to visit here for a while, but as a mac user myself, i think i can add some clarity.

At the moment, the best and most successful way to connect to a mac is through adobe illustrator, however, as margaret rightly pointed out, adobe illustrator is very expensive. She also stated that she doesn't want to work through emulation software like parallels however, for others, this is an excellent way of driving your craftrobo and works seamlessly.

The third way of driving the craftrobo from a mac is to use boot camp, this enables you to boot your mac either as a mac or a pc and once again works well.

There will shortly be a better option. Many of you are probably not aware, but graphtec america purchased silhouette in late 2009. It is our plan to eventually merge the two product lines together taking the best of both products.

The launch of the new silhouette software for mac and pc is the beginning of this new co-operation. There are still a few bugs in the software to iron out, for instance there are issues with a4 paper sizes versus us letter paper sizes, but this should all be sorted before christmas. As soon as this is finalised, you will be able to download the new software from us foc.

You will also be able to get the silhouette download cards from us at the same time.

Meanwhile, feel free to download the new software from the silhouette america website, but please be careful, there are a few bugs in it yet.

So back to where we started, my advice to margaret would be to buy a craftrobo, but download the silhouette software for mac.

I hope that helps

phil

graphtec gb limited