Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigtailpat View Post
    OK, so there is no "save as" in studio to preserve the .gsd format to interface with robomaster users?

Just want to know before I start, because this isn't made clear anywhere on the Silhouette America website [in the US].

I have the robomaster 5.10 [which I downloaded before I knew I was going to get the silhouette] - will that work with the silhouette if I wanted to go that way instead of studio? Which is better [especially for print & cuts which is why I got this machine]?

Thanks!

Pat
    Hi Pat

You can stay with the Robomaster 5.10 version and also have the studio on your desktop, so you can try both programmes for the Print and Cut feature.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Many thanks. I also just received an email from Silhouette America, that they did not build compatibility into SS for the .gsd format. While you can open .gsd, you can't save as .gsd if you are building a completely new file, which I think it is crazy if you want to encourage people to use the new software, because everyone will be concerned about sharing and interoperability of files.

I guess this forces me to use the two side by side for now, and after I get used to things as to which is easier/better for print & cut, then I'll have to weigh what to do. I had hoped to just be able to use SS, but that doesn't look like it'll happen.

Thanks so much for your help!

Pat

View Gallery

I prefer to use Studio for print and cut, as to the .studio saving I have my .gsd file and have a .studion as well I have loads of .gsd files and am slowly converting over to .studio but always keep my .gsd file 'just in case'!

Sandi

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Sandy -

Just curious because I know nothing, what is it about studio that makes you prefer that over robomaster for print & cut? Easier interface or better accuracy? What is it about SS that you prefer? I'm going to open my box and get started tonight [in the USA on the east coast we're just getting into early evening now........]......

Thanks.

Pat

View Gallery

Pat if you go back to almost the start of this thread and read forward you will come to the part where GSD's and the problems that concerned us with regard to the studio software are written. I would suggest taking the time to read through it everything is explained there.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi Lucille -

Thanks for the suggestion, I did start out that way, but then I saw the date of the entries, going back to Jan. 2010, and SS came out Sept 2010, and was recently updated end of Nov/Dec. 2010 for the auto-trace, so as a newbie, I'm not sure what is or is not still relevant - that was my problem. But I will go back and read again from the beginning to try to get a sense of what is happening between the two programs.

Pat

UPDATE: I just read through the thread, and it just dawned on me, that the age of the post may not be as old as I thought, because in Europe everyone dates differently than we do in the USA, and I forgot all about that. Anyway I now understand everything, and I am proceeding with opening everything up. Thanks everyone for your patience with me!
    Last edited by pigtailpat; 17-12-2010 at 12:20 AM.

View Gallery

Some things have been updated in the software now it is on a par with RM as far as functions go. As for saving in GSD format I think Phil has explained why that isn't going to happen, unless there is a change of heart, but I would be very surprised if that happens, delighted but surprised.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I understand what Phil is saying [re: fear of exchange of copyrighted material]. However, the bigger picture is to unite users of the CR/silhouette machine if graphtec wants to compete against the various other machines on the market. By dividing its own user base this way with the pitting of .gsd/.studio formats, it doesn't help graphtec with the larger picture of grabbing a bigger piece of the overall market share in the craft/home user industry [in essence - they are splintering their own user base this way]. They have to look at the whole picture. That's the message I sent to Silhouette America, and I'm repeating here for the European division.

Meanwhile, I already did my first print & cut, and I am absolutely floored and WOWED! That optical eye is UNBELIEVABLE! I didn't even calibrate [not sure if necessary], and I am already getting almost spot on results. Any difficulty would be my own inexperience with putting cutting lines around a .jpg during the trace procedure. Have to understand tracing a bit more. But this is just wonderful having EASY print & cut. This is exactly what I wanted.

I will continue questions in a different thread. Thanks again for your patience with me........

Pat

View Gallery

You can keep any white bits around your trace to a minimum by very very slightly insetting the outline.
    Last edited by Lucille; 18-12-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Or do as I did.
    I used my own pattern fill. it was bigger than the figur I wanted to cut. So much bigger that I had to do weld intersect, and make a little offset on the outset. The offset filled with the pattern also. Now I only had to undu the cut function from the outline of the offset, and the cutfunction of the original function the outline of the offset showed again. I created a little bleed zone.
    No little white edges, and as little as possible spilling ink.