Aug wk 1 - 2 Peas

by butterbee

Dancers - August Week 1

by g61

Brothers in arms

by elainevking

Simple layout

by elainevking

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

Charmed Cards & Crafts banner

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)

Art journals anybody?

This thread has been automatically created, because the original thread had over 250 posts.

The original thread was located HERE.

The first post was....

This thread has been automatically created, because the original thread had over 250 posts.

The original thread was located HERE.

The first post was....

I'm just getting into this and am already completely HOOKED (my first effort is on my blog here . My inspiration was Kate Crane from The Kathryn Wheel, but I'd love to be in touch with other people exploring this too - am thinking of booking on a workshop in October run by Artist Trading Post. I also understand there's a magazine - is it from Stampington - and would be keen to buy a couple of back issues, just to see if I like it.

And most of all - tell me MORE, ie where to find inspiration, techniques, etc etc. Please share your bookmarks! Did I mention that I'm already addicted??
    Please feel free to carry on......
    Please feel free to carry on......

And completely loopy with it! LouP's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Ooh, we rolled!

Gonna try and get a few more 'bit's on my backgrounds and see if I can get anymore completed pages.
    Lou

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (35)
    Chris, more great ledgers there! I wish I lived closer to Manchester now

Juliwan, there is a free "course" somewhere on the interweb that I found really helpful to get me started ... I'll try to find the link for you as right now the name of the lady escapes me ...

As for backgrounds - I use all sorts really! Acrylics (I use Reeves or Galleria mainly, but when I first started I got some from the Pound Shop which were fine, just not as smooth when dry), watercolour paints (again, Reeves - basically whatever The Range has!), water soluble wax pastels (I did splash out on these and bought the Caran D'Ache neocolour IIs, but I also have the Reeves ones which are A LOT cheaper and are fine to use), or I use old text paper glued down with gel medium, then gesso over .... I have no favourites really and just do whatever my mood requires! I never have a plan either, just go with the flow. Most of my "new" blog is digi stuff, but the last few entries are paint/paper ... there's probably more of my paper stuff on my old blog, but I'll be adding more to the new one

I might try and take some pics of backgrounds I've prepared and add them today

To whoever posted that Donna Downey link .... grrrr I hadn't looked at her site for ages, but her Inspiration Wednesday videos are great! I love that she goes with the flow and makes mistakes - and now I also need some UTEE and some of her gorgeous stamps!!!
    Suzie xx
    Blogeroo

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hi,

Suzie R and Natasha - sorry for posting the Donna Downey link and making you want to spend! I had bought a heat gun and embossing powders from ebay and hadnt used them much - so was pleased to find a way to use them in my art journals.

Lou - Dyan at art from the heart has some step by step pages on her blog (left hand side of blog).

Yesterday I looked back at the "useful links" thread and found sarahwhitmire.blogspot.com
    originally posted by Kirsti. If you click on the right hand side of the blog "soul journalling", it gives a guide to creating pages. From this I tried something I hadnt done before - rip pages from an old dictionary, stick them to an art journal page, then write lots of stuff i dont really want people to read, then gesso over the top of it.

Also this link

http://www.youtube.com/user/tangieba.../2/FpZ-tv5TsjM
    originally posted by Bernice on creating a junque journal - really good for ideas on what to put as backgrounds - it has encouraged me to use scrapbook paper, also I had a go at the crumpled pages where she just drags a distress pad over the crumpled page, - really quick and effective.

sorry I havent posted the whole link - but UKS doesnt seem to allow me to do it.

Enjoy your art journalling!

Ruth

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)
    maggie, fab idea about the quote/poem. katie did a lovely page using song lyrics too. Can't wat to see the journal pages you have done on your travels.
    Juliwan, my backgrounds are all about layers for me. I prefer to use a mixture of mediums and then be able to see the texture/layers behind each other. The thing I can't live without is gesso I use it as a primer to my pages, then as a wash, then as white paint, everything But other materials I have used as background are the cheap kids water colour paints, they come in a big palette type thing, generally I use this after my gesso. I have also used acyrlics/water colour paint from the little tubes (like reeves) however they came from a 'cheapy' store so were only £2 for 12. They are fine though and work just like reeves. I no longer have distress inks but I am looking at getting a few soon. I used them last year on my first journal pages and because they blend so well they looked amazing.
    Debbie, I haven't fund anything simmaler in Bristol. But some of the markets have 'antique' book stalls and the car boots are always great.
    Suzie, did you mean the soul journaling site?

I am determinded to do something today in my journal, I shall report back

So sorry Ruth, crossed posts

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    Yes that's something which appeals to me too - that theoretically it should be possible to have a small "kit" in a bag or box which is your entirely portable journal kit? I guess (for me anyway) it would contain:-
    1. Blank journal
    2. Caran d'ache crayons
    3. Small package of images/scrapbook paper offcuts
    4. Adhesive
    5. Journalling pens in different nib widths
    6. Marker pens for colouring (mine are Promarkers)
    7. White pen - mine is Uniball Signo
    8. Handful of rubber stamps and ink pad

I reckon almost all of my pages could have been produced with just this basic kit, and its already occurred to me that I could take this away with me when I travel. What would be in your basic kit?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Art journaling is just so addictive isn't it? I've just started getting into it and I just love the medium for expression! Just starting to post the some of the pages on my blog too!

Reading Diana Trout's Journal Spilling book at the moment, which I love

I've just found this thread too - thanks for all the lovely links! I shall work my way through!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Natasha - no worries , at least we are telling people the same things!
    Figgerly - love the page with the Eiffel tower and maps.

Just a couple more websites - http://creativetherapy.wordpress.com/ - has a regular prompt which the designers interpret in different ways with different media.

http://30journals30days.blogspot.com/ - this will keep you busy for a long time - the work of 30 different people and their journals!

Ruth

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zullybelle View Post
    Yes that's something which appeals to me too - that theoretically it should be possible to have a small "kit" in a bag or box which is your entirely portable journal kit? I guess (for me anyway) it would contain:-
    1. Blank journal
    2. Caran d'ache crayons
    3. Small package of images/scrapbook paper offcuts
    4. Adhesive
    5. Journalling pens in different nib widths
    6. Marker pens for colouring (mine are Promarkers)
    7. White pen - mine is Uniball Signo
    8. Handful of rubber stamps and ink pad

I reckon almost all of my pages could have been produced with just this basic kit, and its already occurred to me that I could take this away with me when I travel. What would be in your basic kit?
    That's pretty much what I have with me
    1. Moleskine journal
    2. Inktense (I bought the set of 18 in a case which becomes a stand)
    3. Primo water soluble wax crayons (very cheap from TKMaxx)
    4. Some images/old book pages (and I have picked up some Canadian images from the Tourist info/boat cruise we went on etc)
    4. Adhesive (i use Amos crafter's glue stick)
    5. Pens/pencils for journalling (black and white and gold)
    6. Cheap acrylic paints (small tubes)
    7. Baby wipes
    8. Scissors

I put the acrylic paints in my checked luggage and everything else was in my carry-on bag.

I had quite a lot of backgrounds done already, mainly with the Ranger dabbers, and havejust chosen appropriate backgrounds for what I wanted to do. So now I have memories of journalling in some amazing places like the banks of the Ottawa river. We went to an antique shop so I picked up some old music I'll use on some pages and paint/gesso over

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)
    Rosie, thats why I love art journaling, there is no pressure to have 'stash' or the latest thing. I have been only builing my kit for about 6 weeks and although its small its all I need. Of course stamps are still tempting though

My ten things (as I mentioned yesterday) would have to be...
    1. My mini moleskine (if it ever arrives )
    2. Small palette of water colour paints
    3. Small pot of gesso
    4. Soft pastels
    5. Pva glue
    6. My scraps bag, much the same as yours
    7. My signo gel sticks and white pen
    8. General pencil and charcoal pencils
    9. Eraser
    10. Black, brown and metalic ink with florish/flower stamps

Kim, I too adore your paris page, very distressed and beautiful. I don't think it matters about the map to be honest. I would guess people wouldn't look that closely anyway
    Ruth, I love the 30day journal site, I have seen it before as it contains some of the lovely ladys I follow on youtube. I really like that creative therapy blog though, I will be watching thats/taking inpiration from it. Thank you

View Gallery

Yes! It was the souljournaling link - I found that a great way to get started, being kind of guided through the process until you get some kind of idea of what you're doing!

My travel kit would be similar ...

1. Journal
    2. Caran d'ache water soluble wax crayons
    3. Water brush pen things
    4. Some images/scraps
    5. My book of quotes
    6. Journalling pens - black and white most definitely
    7. Glue stick
    8. Baby wipes
    Suzie xx
    Blogeroo

View Gallery

Also meant to say I have a junque journal a la Tangie Baxter on the go too! I love it for keeping day to day bits and pieces in ... nothing too complicated in there, just ticket stubs, lists, book reviews, etc ... I love doing it and my DD (also called Natasha ) has one on the go too
    Suzie xx
    Blogeroo

Dedicated Scrapper rainbow_poppy's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    Gosh loads to catch up on ladies, going to go back and look at the links, thanks for those.

Still not had chance to play with inktense pencils, hopefully tomorrow

One day I'll be living the dream...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Evening.

Hi to Kim. Popped on your blog - fab work!

I think my basic kit is the same as everyone elses. I also love the fact that it isn't something you need the latest whatever to do. I am wondering if it's the death of scrapbooking for me though, or maybe right now it's what I get more pleasure from.

On a side note, any other book recommendations? I'm building my present list for DH as it's only 4 weeks between my birthday and Christmas, thought some books (other than cook books!) would be nice.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    Hi.
    Can I ask what Gel medium is and if there's another name. I've looked in a couple of art shops and can't see it.
    Thanks

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast