We Don't Make UKScrappers. We Make UKScrappers Better.

August week 1

by sharon1973

Sketch 42

by sharon1973

Beautiful Blooms

by Mary Buttons

August house challenge

by sharon1973

The Den @ 246

by Mary Buttons

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

Graphtec UK banner

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    OK Confession time - I just took those pages OUT! Sorry, but its my journal and I say what stays in it! I really want to say those things so I'm gonna have another go and see if I can do it better. It's been a difficult couple of days with a bit of a cloud over, which can't have helped, but things are better now ....

AND it's our 35th wedding anniversary today and we're just as dotty about each other as we ever were .... so how lucky does that make me??

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)
    Tracy, my go to items each time I journal is... Black pen, white pen, some colour medium (pencils, chalks, paint) and a pencil. Everything else is just extras.

Claudia, your space does look like something I ould get lost in quite easily Oh yes my space is small and contains not much of anything but it will do for me. It means I ma not too overwhelmed when it comes to deciding what to put into it. Although saying that I did order a few bits from a sponser this past weekend, I will not go crazy however Oh yes my gingerbread men are my saving grace, its a table mat so I can wipe it clean. After all the paint I use its one of the best things I have.

Claudia, I don't think I need a mag either, too much inspiration on this site/blogs/youtube.

I finished two pages this weekend, and I started one but I went a bit wrong. The background is still there so I think I will have to turn it into something else. I might work on that page today.

Rosie, its lovely that you share your space, I bet your friends have fun in there.

Katie, oh not too good living in one room. I hope you manage to find a place and get a crafting space soon.

Ok so I have a question for you all, has anyone used real photo's in thier journal(s)? I use magazine pictures but never a real one. Any opinions?

If you can't serve as a shining example to others - at least serve as a warning! Patch of Blue's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Hello,

Just popping in to share this link with you. There are some interesting ideas in it.

I'm lurking behind the scenes and looking forward to the children going back to school so I can get a bit more organised, clear the decks and start working on my own journal.

I'm really enjoying looking at your journal pages and reading your posts.
    Janet

My gorgeous grandsons (love 'em to bits :) ) chrisG's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (39)
    Hi Ladies - the fist copy of Art Journal is no longer available in print - thereshould be an advert somewhere in the mag that tells you that you can d/load the 1st issue electronically for something like $10.00
    The mag itself including postage costs abot £17/18 - I don't think any of the sponsors carry it - I get mine from a non sponsor - Just PM me if you want to know where.

Welcome, welcome all newcomers

Rosie I love the colours in your pages.

Re photos on pages - Yes I have - in different ways - normal photos I found left a ridge when writing on the other side. I've also printed photo's onto normal copy paper and encorporated that into a page and transfered a photo of my 2 grandsons (the photo in my avatar) using gel medium (although that was one of my earlier attempts and didn't turn out too well). see attached. It's all trial and error and finding a way that suits you.

Loving all you creative spaces - Daren't show mine until after a tidy up LOL (but I am on annual leave this week so just may give at a quick tidy ha ha )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chrisG; 23-08-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Natasha I use photos all the time, but these days I usually fiddle with them first (I like high contrast black&white images). I did try using a proper glossy colour photo once in the early days but I wouldn't do it again because photo paper just doesn't work very well, due to the thickness and the gloss.

Here is that page though (it's not great, but I kept it because I like the stitching/beading) - plus a black and white one - both wedding pictures.

I love using photos of family/friends/myself because it's a much more personal feeling making that kind of page.

ChrisG - tidying up before showing us your workspace is cheating!
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 23-08-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    I've thought about it once or twice but haven't used any photos on mine yet, but if I was going to then I'd print them myself on photo paper rather than card, which is actually what I use all the time, mainly because it seems to be cheaper! I always get matte paper too as I don't like shiny, and think that would work well. I've certainly printed some of my own collage sheets onto the same paper and cut elements out etc and stuck them down without any problems. HTH?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zullybelle View Post
    AND it's our 35th wedding anniversary today and we're just as dotty about each other as we ever were .... so how lucky does that make me??
    Happy Anniversary to you both....35 years is a massive achievement these days and deserves to be celebrated.
    http://www.primamarketinginc.com/idea_gallery_designer.php?designer_id=70&designer_  name_first=Tracie%20Hudson
    My Blog
    DT member for Glitz Designs, Sassafras, Pencil Lines and Prima Educator

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)
    Patch of Blue, Welcome Thanks for sharing that link with us, its a great resource. I will certainly be attempting some of the promts she goes through on her 22 days.

chrisG, thanks for your imput. I understand what you are saying so maybe direct photos wonlt be such a good idea. The technique you did for that page looks great. I don't understand why you don't like the page though but I guess its all a matter of opinion.

Claudia, thanks all good things to think about. I think as chris says its going to be trial and eror. I really want to use some more real photos. If not of me of graphics downloaded as a picture. I shall have to have a play this week I think. Oh and I love the green page, its truely beautiful and it certainly allows the picture to be the main focus.

Rosie, thanks. the problem I find is the photo papers you get around here can be very thick, even the cheaper brands. I wonder if printing on stand paper would do thw trick? I could always gel meduim over the top to give it a sheen? Another thing to play with I think.

So here is some more pages I did over the weekend/today. I am really starting to enjoy it now and its becoming a daily thing which is great. I still haven't used the background I made before but didn't like. I have an idea for it but i just can't create it

Oh and while browsing youtube today I found an art journaler called effy. She made a vlog and asked her viewer to do a page using her promt. Although I touch on this with one of my pages I think I am going to do another just for this subject. Just something to share if you wish to join in.

Have a great evening all

One day I'll be living the dream...
    View Gallery

Claudia - Chris sent me details of where to get the art journal mag. Took a little while to come, and is the price of a book but I'm a flicker so it's worth it to me. I can't always be bothered to sit staring at a screen.

Rosie - congrats on the wedding anniversary. It certainly is something to celebrate! For what it's worth I liked your now ripped out pages.

I've got some backgrounds finished and a couple more finished pages I journaled while we were away but they were rants so won't see the public light of day. I will share a couple of pages ready to journal on though when I get chance to scan them (which may be any minute now...)

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Oh yes, I forgot to say HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and your hubby, Rosie! It's so lovely that you are still mad about each other!

Natasha - I print all photos and other pictures onto A4 sketchbook paper. Canon do a plain matt photo paper which is specifically designed for craft projects and that's quite good (I've also tried decoupage paper), but I like regular sketchbook paper the best, as the photos print nicely and it's easy to cut out shapes cleanly. It's also much cheaper. Nice pages BTW!!

ChrisG - I really like that gel medium image transfer of the kids. I can't stand the smell of gel medium so I don't use it, which is a bit annoying as I like image transfers! I also can't use anything oil-based or alcohol-based (I'm really sensitive), which means I can't use pro-markers or alcohol inks, but luckily there's a zillion non-toxic water-based techniques I can do instead!
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 23-08-2010 at 06:02 PM.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

new backgrounds on my blog now. Need to go and sort something out for dinner now before someone comes and tries to chew my leg off...

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Just plucking up the courage to post my first 2 pages plus another 2 I'm working on

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by biskit View Post
    new backgrounds on my blog now. Need to go and sort something out for dinner now before someone comes and tries to chew my leg off...

How did you do the blue background with the elephant and the birds - I love it

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by meggie View Post
    Just plucking up the courage to post my first 2 pages plus another 2 I'm working on
    Bit of mutual appreciation - but these are just gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by meggie View Post
    How did you do the blue background with the elephant and the birds - I love it
    I used paint dabbbers in aqua, pool and stream . Full coat of the aqua, then worked around the edges with the pool and stream. I think I applied it with a babywipe, maybe a paint brush but then worked it in with my fingers (I'm getting in to that at the moment) I used the paints on the stamps as well (all Tim Holtz) - pool for the elephant, stream for the crown & birds. It may be a page that stays as it is for a while

View Gallery

I still haven't done LOs of my visit to Chitwan for the elephant safari - looks like I might need that stamp!

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast