Chain link 1

by elainevking

Chain link 1 _ 15th

by new2this

chain link 3 _ 14th

by new2this

summer

by Maria in France

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

Graphtec UK banner

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got. T_Ann's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (39)
    Help. There is a thought in my head (yes vicki I do sometimes) and I want to journal it but it is such a sad thought I dont think I will ever want to look at it again, do I just do it and get it over with or ignore it and hope it goes away.
    T-Ann

My blog http://urbanblog-tianne.blogspot.com/
    Points SLO= 0 DLO= 0 AJ pages 8 = 50 points Do 100 LOs this year = 4/100 minibooks this year= 0/12

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    Ah but being tidy can be a curse as well - I absolutely CAN'T work if my space is in a scrow, so it's a bit of a pain in some ways ...

I never imagined anyone here looking at the SU blog too - which I see as purely 'work' IYKWIM .... The Arty Stuff blog is my real self I suppose!! Hoping to put some pictures up shortly.

Ann I found it very helpful to journal my sad thoughts recently - it actually allowed me to work through them and it almost felt as if once I'd got them on the page I could let them goo .... HTH?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Ann View Post
    Help. There is a thought in my head (yes vicki I do sometimes) and I want to journal it but it is such a sad thought I dont think I will ever want to look at it again, do I just do it and get it over with or ignore it and hope it goes away.

I don't think you have to look at it again if you don't want to. Journalling is a way to release and express emotion. I would do it , maybe on a separate piece of paper and then ou can hide it away if you dont want it in your journal.
    my blog
    Christmas stocking swap 2012

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    here's my latest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    my blog
    Christmas stocking swap 2012

Fat bottomed girls - We make the rockin' world go round :D whoopidoo's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    Hi all - room for another? I'm just getting into art journalling so any tips and hints I'd love to stash away Have literally only done one page but have so many ideas in my head - it's just getting it down on paper
    Carmen x
    Bloggy Blog
    Instagram
    Reverse Canvas Swap - Christmas Stocking Swap

Would be a dedicated scrapper if I wasnt a dedicated UKS'er! TracyG_04's Avatar
    View Gallery

Hi everyone, I am interested in starting art journalling and just branching out into more messy things. I just have one question. I went to the craft shop today to invest in some gesso only to find a) they were out of stock b) it is horrifically expensive here. Anyway, the lady at the shop suggested using PVA instead, has anyone tried this, or heard of it? Does it work? I have asked on a local forum about where to find gesso so may come up with a cheaper shop, but I wondered if the PVA thing would work.
    My blogMy craft blog

Stocking swap

If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got. T_Ann's Avatar
    View Gallery

PVA would give you a base to work on but I would seriously suggest you investing in Gesso. We have it in the works and the range both at much cheaper prices.
    T-Ann

Points SLO= 0 DLO= 0 AJ pages 8 = 50 points Do 100 LOs this year = 4/100 minibooks this year= 0/12

Would be a dedicated scrapper if I wasnt a dedicated UKS'er! TracyG_04's Avatar
    View Gallery

thanks will have a look around then. So what do I absolutely have to have. Sorry I am a total newbie, but I just love the way they look. I tend to be a very "tidy" scrapper lol, so am trying to change that!
    My blogMy craft blog

Stocking swap

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)
    Thanks to everyone who left comments about my pages. I am going to add some of your links to your blogs on mine. Hope you don't mind

Claudia, I will get you a picture of my work area, its not huge and my supplies arn't huge but it does me

Hi Tracy, no PVA will not work the same, if anything it will make the page even harder to work on. Gesso give's a base/tooth for the paint to stick to, this means less coat's are used and thus cost's les. Also gesso is so much more than a 'base' you can add it on top of many layers, you can mix it with other paint and use it as a white meduim and you can build texture into the page faster than usual.

I bought mine from hobby craft, Windsor and Newton 1 litre was about £11. Its the cheapest pot I have ever bought and its been the best. When I first started AJ'ing I brought a pot of 500ml for £25 and it was the worse thing ever. Sometimes (as is this one) its named Gesso Primer but they are exactly the same.

If you really can't afford Gesso just now use something like white paint and sand the page before adding your 'good' paint.

Hope that helps

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by T_Ann View Post
    When I created my second page (Rose Love heart) I journaled some really personal thoughts down in pencil - then I painted right over them - I know they are there - but I cant see them anymore and that worked just fine for me.

Katie - love your new pages and how you used the paint to create borders.

Welcome to Tracy and Whoopidoo.

Tracy - are you in Durban? Are you going to the SA Scrapbook Convention?
    http://www.primamarketinginc.com/idea_gallery_designer.php?designer_id=70&designer_  name_first=Tracie%20Hudson
    My Blog
    DT member for Glitz Designs, Sassafras, Pencil Lines and Prima Educator

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hi everyone. Hope you're all having a nice weekend.

Welcome new faces! Our little band of AJ'ers is coming along nicely!

Gesso - I've been doing all types of pages (some collaged, some painted etc) for over two years and I reckon I only use it on 1 in 10 of my pages and could quite happily manage without it at all. And PVA instead? I would say absolutely NO!! (I agree with Natasha - that would be the opposite of a good surface to work on). Better off with just naked paper!

Absolute necessities - depends what techniques you want to use, but some paints and/or watersoluble crayons feature in most people's basic kit. Apart from that you can use whatever you've got (stamps, inks, papers, fabrics, brushpens, whatever..) I have one little journal in which I use nothing but a black pen.

Katie - Loving the colours of the new pages, and they seem to have a more confident look too?

Difficult-subject pages - the process of making the page is what it's all about. If you don't want to keep it, maybe you could destroy it afterwards as a kind of letting-go?

No art for me today as I've been busy with DH, but I did buy a denim needle for my sewing machine so I might have a go with some fabric/paper combos tomorrow.

Still keen to see photos of your workspaces! Here's mine..
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 21-08-2010 at 10:58 PM.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

Love your work space Claudia, Ill take some pics of mine this morning to share
    T-Ann

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    Loved your workspace Claudia - such a cosy little hive of activity! Makes me want to come and play I do share my workspace once a week on my blog, so as most of you know I have a bay window in which to work. It's wonderful for the light, let alone the view (I'm in the attic on the top floor) but a bit cold in winter!

Agree with you about Gesso - I've got some but hardly ever use it so could definitely live without, but most people seem to find it indispensable so what do I know.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Lemon View Post
    Still keen to see photos of your workspaces! Here's mine..
    Wow Claudia your workspace is amazing. Its like a little den full of lovely stash, enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Zullybelle View Post
    Loved your workspace Claudia - such a cosy little hive of activity! Makes me want to come and play I do share my workspace once a week on my blog, so as most of you know I have a bay window in which to work. It's wonderful for the light, let alone the view (I'm in the attic on the top floor) but a bit cold in winter!

Agree with you about Gesso - I've got some but hardly ever use it so could definitely live without, but most people seem to find it indispensable so what do I know.
    Rosie I love you whats on your workspace pictures. I do like the pink pieces doted around, it brings the space together. I would love to create in front of a window, all that light Shame its cold in winter though, more tea?

I have attached some pictures of where I work. Its not huge and I don't have a lot of stash but for me its fine

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (35)
    I'm so jealous of all your little work spaces.My stuff's just out on the kitchen surfaces cluttering everywhere up, and I just craft standing while I'm making brews!!
    I need a bigger house!

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast