Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: foiling

Dedicated Scrapper SilverTiger2's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix rising View Post
    Well it's here & I would say it's identical to the one at the NEC except there's no DVD. instruction sheet & print out of lettering.

However having watched a demo & stamping/printing my own words I'd say who needs to spend an extra £29 for those things???

It's so easy to use & I'm very pleased.
    So - what make is that one then ? I had been thinking of buying one at the Doncaster show and hadn't realised that there was more than one make available.

Dedicated Scrapper phoenix rising's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SilverTiger2 View Post
    So - what make is that one then ? I had been thinking of buying one at the Doncaster show and hadn't realised that there was more than one make available.
    It's by Antex (Electronics)Ltd. & looks identical to the Foil Master. In fact it's even called a Foil Master!!!! It's a 2 heat setting pen ( 5/10w) & can be used for encaustic wax if you buy the appropriate screw in fitment. Also for hot fix embellishing with hot fix gems. I believe the company has been making soldering irons & similar for years.

I got it from that well known auction site.
    Lesley

Phoenix rising

View Gallery

Thank you very much for that information - will go and look for one !

Edit: Found it - ordered it ! Thanks again.
    Last edited by SilverTiger2; 30-03-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Dedicated Scrapper Gadget Monkey's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    I went to a show at Bluewater in February and a lady was selling a foiling machine, so I got her to demonstrate. She printed what she wanted foiled on a laser printer, put some of the heat foil on the picture and put it through the machine, when she took it out the image or writing was foiled.... so I had a think and decided all the machine was, was a laminator. I bought some of the foil, came home, printed out an image and some writing on my laser printer. Put the foil over the top (make sure it is the right way up as I made this mistake a few times) and put it through my laminator... and voila a foiled image and foiled sentiment..... so easy without buying any expensive equipment.

View Gallery

I may be being a bit dim here - but how did you prevent the foil from obscuring the image ?

Dedicated Scrapper Gadget Monkey's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    The foil only sticks to the printing, that is why you need a laser printer.....so a silhouette works best for an image, but you can do any text and it only clings to the letters....

View Gallery

Thank you - it is a technique I am not (yet !) familiar with. I love this site - I learn lots of new things each time I log in !!

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget Monkey View Post
    I went to a show at Bluewater in February and a lady was selling a foiling machine, so I got her to demonstrate. She printed what she wanted foiled on a laser printer, put some of the heat foil on the picture and put it through the machine, when she took it out the image or writing was foiled.... so I had a think and decided all the machine was, was a laminator. I bought some of the foil, came home, printed out an image and some writing on my laser printer. Put the foil over the top (make sure it is the right way up as I made this mistake a few times) and put it through my laminator... and voila a foiled image and foiled sentiment..... so easy without buying any expensive equipment.
    I think you can use any laminator, but you do need a laser printer, which I don't have. I also do mixed media painting so will use the foiling pen then as well.

As well I think the tonertex foils work too.My tool uses heat activated foils.
    Lesley

Phoenix rising

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix rising View Post
    Well!! I have succumbed to temptation & bought a foiling pen-- but not the £48 one. Found another make which looks to be identical for less than half the price. Will report back when I've tried it out.
    Mine arrived this morning - £18.99p p&p free direct from the manufacturer- and it is absolutely brilliant - | have been playing with it all morning !!

I am so grateful to you for pointing me in the right direction. Looking at this one and comparing it with the "Hot Foil Wizard" one - I would say that they were, indeed, identical. My kit included 4 different writing points, 6 stamping points, and a metre each of Gold and Silver foil. I had intended buying one at this years Doncaster Show in July - now I can spend my moeny on lots of other things !!

View Gallery

ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by SilverTiger2 View Post
    Mine arrived this morning - £18.99p p&p free direct from the manufacturer- and it is absolutely brilliant - | have been playing with it all morning !!

I am so grateful to you for pointing me in the right direction. Looking at this one and comparing it with the "Hot Foil Wizard" one - I would say that they were, indeed, identical. My kit included 4 different writing points, 6 stamping points, and a metre each of Gold and Silver foil. I had intended buying one at this years Doncaster Show in July - now I can spend my moeny on lots of other things !!
    So glad you're pleased with it. I love mine & even more so because it cost so much less. I'm taking it with me to a group on Saturday for a play & probably show how.
    Lesley

Phoenix rising

View Gallery

I took my foiling pen to "Myriad", a group I go to, & someone else has ordered one after trying it out!!!! She first saw it at a show when it cost £100!!!!! that was a few years ago.
    Lesley

Phoenix rising

View Gallery

I am having fun with mine - been using it with brass stencils - it is brilliant !

View Gallery

I've discovered that I can foil onto heavy acetate, the stuff that embossing stencils come packed in. I put some glitter & tissue on the back with glossy accents & it looks amazing, the text sort of floats.
    Lesley

Phoenix rising

View Gallery

That sounds great - haven't daren't try mine on anything but card so far. It is certainly good for drawing outlines - for example I made a C*******s card with a picture of Poinsettas on it - thought it looked a bit dull - so outlined the edges of the petals with gold - looks good.

Writing with it is still a bit shaky as it is so fat and the flex curls into the way sometimes - need to practice more - but I am so glad that I bought it.

Hev, not a complete lunatic, but getting there! Mystery Woman's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    Where did you get yours from, Silver Tiger? I've been wanting a laser printer for years, as I already have a laminator - but one of these would take up much less room!!

June points 0 SLO, 0 DLO, 0 Weekly Challenge, 6 Cards = 30 points