Welcome 2019

by Mary Buttons

Sept week 3

by RED HEAD

Happy you + me

by Mary Buttons

Sept19 _ Friday 5 _ 6th

by new2this

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

Graphtec UK banner

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    My gorgeous grandsons (love 'em to bits :) ) chrisG's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneH View Post
    Just to stick my nose in.... the social group, as everyone said, has died. As have many social groups. There are too many problems with the format. Also, if you keep it here, new people (new to Art Journaling anyway) can find it. How many of you went to the social groups and looked up 'art journaling'? I rest my case.

I'm really enjoying this thread and love the photos on here, your blogs, etc. Keep it up, please, and don't bury it all in a social group....please, please.
    I'm with you on this Jane... I joined the SG but alway forget to visit, force of habit to work my way through the main threads.

Ally caran d'ache crayons are lush - scibble them on, cover with a quick wash of water and glorious colour they blend nicely too and i have in past put a scrible down before gesso and gesso'd over the colour -sort of killing two birds with one stone - gesso'd and coloured background in one fail swoop (i'm all for an easy life LOL). You can outline images with them and smudge the natural oil in your fingers will help to move it along without too much spreading.

I got mine from a local art shop - think about 13.00 for 15 in a tin and I'm not altogether too sure if it was WH Smiths in Blackpool I also saw them on sale in their craft section (my local smiths don't have much of an art section since it was turned into the local post office - haven't really got much of anything these days ) otherwise have a look on line and compare prices.

I'm a Creative Girl in a Creative World Claireliz's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Hiya, is there room for another small one in here ?
    Just found this thread I've been playing with an art journal for a month or two, but still learning, my first page was rubbish, I have 4 unfinished ones as yet & another finished page that I quite like. I'd love to get to one of Dyans classes but haven't managed it yet (although I have just ordered her inks & am eagerly awaiting the postie) What magazines do you use? I'm struggling to find images I like & not really sure which magazines are best, thanks in advance for any help

Claireliz x

The Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (30)
    I have been reading this daily and thought that I had better stop lurking and say hello.I'm new to this and have dipped my toe in a tiny bit and am wondering whether it is time to take the plunge and just dive on in.

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    OK then, let's just stay where we are for now then! I think if this turns into one of those very long threads we might get a nudge to form an SG, but we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

My Caran d'ache crayons were 10.99 for 10 basic colours, which I thought was a good price, from my local art shop. I'm pleased to report that my gel pen (just a bog standard one from Staples) writes over it no problem - but should I be using something fadeproof or whatever like a Zig? I really like the smoothness of my staples one.

Claudia I don't really do messy either, which I think is why I struggle a bit with backgrounds! I've got a tub of gesso which I've never even opened! Been reading the art journalling mag and want to try some new stuff out today, to try and push my own boundaries a bit .... honestly I'm not getting anything else done at all at the moment!!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Can I join in?

Hi,

I have been art journalling for about 5 months. I went on Dyans intro to art journalling course which helped get me on my way. I also did Kelly kilmers a life made by hand online course which is based on collage techniques. I love it because there are no rules - you can be messy, tidy, random, use words or no words! I dont think I will ever be great scrapbooker, but it doesnt matter with art journalling. Thanks for all the links - and I am enjoying reading about peoples experiences. I have tried to link to helpful techniques and blogs - but UKS system wont allow me, because I am a new member - I've been registered 3 years!!

I use a large moleskine for a small journal and have altered an old atlas by sticking three pages together with matte medium and then gessoing the surface of my thicker page to give me a blank to work on, as a larger journal. I got the technique from a blog, will post it if I am ever allowed to! Its a way of using your gesso - Zullybelle! I have recently altered a small french dictionary to use for quotes. Thanks everyone!

One day I'll be living the dream...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Morning all.

Think I might have to pick up a couple of the caran d'ache then to give them a go. Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to own an art supply shop...I'll be half way there at this rate

I'm popping into town tomorrow to pick up a couple more sketch books from paperchase, at £5.50 for an A4, I think I can afford it. I'll start getting one ready for JYC.

Claire - I've used patterned paper for images on one of mine (on my blog if you want a look) and I sat cutting up some sassafrass last night (from the last gogo kit - the one with the toy elephant on it) I don't buy mags, yet, but I found some nice images in an old sainsburys mag. Oh and I got a stunning brochure from Lexus in the post - some amazing animal shots in it so that's gone on the chop it up pile.

I have Dyan's inks - you'll love them.

Rosie - LOL @ your unopened gesso. I love my gesso. I use a lot of studio paints and they move around the page much better if you've popped a coat of gesso down first, stops it being absorbed too quickly.

Dusty Fairy - JUST DIVE IN!

Aquascrap - you've got me thinking about a Gordon Ramsey cookbook I can't seem to sell. MIL got it me for Christmas a couple of years ago but it's all dinner party type stuff and I know I'd never use it. It's been listed on green metropolis for months. Maybe it's time I gave it a new life then.

I only scrap on days that end in Y barbaraj's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    have just popped in to my local art shop and found some inktense crayons. I just bought a couple to see what they are like.
    Barbara

View Gallery

With the Inktense Barabara, once they are dry they are permanent so you can work over them again without them bleeding. I like to use a brush directly onto the pencil to collect a pool of colour on it as well as the traditional colour and brush.

View Gallery

OK never mind the Gesso phobia, I have a paint problem as well now! Last night, determined to get some paint onto paper I used my acrylics (I've got loads) to prep a page. Got back this morning thinking I'd do something with it and discovered that I can't bear to handle it - the surface is all chalky which puts my teeth on edge

But I have been experimenting with something I've got lots of - which is patterned scrapbook paper offcuts and I'm glad to know that Vicki uses these as well, as I was wondering if its quite "legit"! I've prepped a few backgrounds now with BG paper and made borders with bits cut out of patterned. I reckon anything goes - its green recycling and anyway I LIKE it!

Just going to upload some pics to my blog of my first efforts with the Caran d'ache crayons ....

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    A couple of questions - what are the best pens for journalling? Are Zigs permanent?? I don't want them to smudge if I paint over the top!!

View Gallery

This has become far too addictive... I keep taking breaks from the housework to play in my journal. I've just blogged a page that I've "finished" putting together and now awaits journaling.

Not sure how "legit" using pp is either Rosie, but if people use downloads from places I don't see how it's any different. Use what you like I say. I am sure there will be some who say its not art journaling but there is snobbery every where. (Top border on my latest page is cosmo cricket btw!...LOL)

Tinkerbell - if you pop back through the thread there has been some discussion on pens, but yes Zig are perm & waterproof. I also use sakura gell pens and extra fine sharpies (although you can get a little high using them for too long..) Pilot hi-tec are nice for journaling but not waterproof so def the last thing to use on your page with the exception of any oil pastels you might want to use.

Right, back to the housework. DS and DD have had the glitter out. They tried to clean it up before I had seen it and used every last scrap of the kitchen towel in the process. Hmmmm..

View Gallery

Tell me about it Vicki - should come with a health warning shouldn't it? I'm suppose to be working on Chapter 5 and instead I'm cutting up bits of patterned paper and sticking them down as a border. My excuse is that I'm preparing pages for future need .... and yes,I HAVE decided that PP is legit, not least because I've got so much of it, but I plan to alter it quite a bit, just to appease the doubtful brigade!

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Wow - this thread is really picking up speed as well as posters now!! Took me a while to catch up, just from yesterday!

I think we might indeed get a nudge eventually to go over the Social Group but the consensus seems to be to stay here as long as poss! Here's my twopence-worth on today's hot topics!..

Using PPs - absolutely YES! No rules - anything goes! For me that's the best thing about it - everyone has their own style depending which techniques and products they like.

Zullybelle - I have a feeling that we are creepily alike! I remember thinking when I first looked at your blog 'wow - her design style is just like mine! I bet she also tends to measure things and colour-coordinate, even if not trying to!' And I get the teeth-on-edge thing about certain paint textures too! At the moment I'm loving liquid watercolours, so no problem there.

Gesso - use it sometimes, but not often. I think it depends what techniques and paints you use.

Caran D'Ache water soluble crayons - you can get starter tins at large branches of WHSmiths but you need to go to a proper art shop or online for the more interesting colours. Be careful though - I grabbed the wrong type (non-water soluble) when I bought my starter tin (they look alike and are both called 'Neo').

Edited to Add: Rosie - re messiness, I even wear latex gloves for any kind of painting, and sometimes even for glueing!
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 05-08-2010 at 04:14 PM.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

Have you tried the claudine hellmuth studio paints? They are less chalky. Not sure what the Jo Sonja's finish is like, I only used some small amounts at the weekend, not enough to get a good feel really.

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Claireliz View Post
    ..snip.. What magazines do you use? I'm struggling to find images I like & not really sure which magazines are best, thanks in advance for any help
    I rarely use magazine images as I'm allergic to the print ink. I mostly use altered photos of myself/family/friends, or pictures cut out of old books or old postcards.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast