Elephants lunch time

by Crafty Sandra

Love this life

by Jolene

K for kink

by elainevking

July Wk 4 Miss Defiant

by thriftycrafter

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

Charmed Cards & Crafts banner

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    Oh WOW Linda! Lucky girl, getting to go to a class - my classroom is You Tube! Welcome to a new addiction and it looks to me like you're a natural - these are fab! Are the letters stamped??

As an inveterate doodler I struggle to know when to stop too - had to be very firm with my last page when it really NEEDED some empty spaces ...

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    Have a look here
    www.anneliesebates.co.uk
    and
    www.artisttradingpost.co.uk

I did an art journaling workshop with Anneliese.

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda_E View Post
    ** pops head shyly around the door **

I took part in my first art journalling workshop yesterday ... I think this may be my first finished page ... but I am struggling with when to stop ... I keep looking and thinking about adding more ... any advice very very welcome!

[ATTACH]Attachment 140310[/ATTACH]
    Don't just pop ya head round - come on in!!

Social Groups seem to have gone to sleep these days so it's nice to have an active thread for some chat.

Loving your nice colourful first page!

When To Stop...such a difficult one! Sometimes I know, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I think I know and get it wrong! Sometimes I'm sure I've got it right, but a month later I realise it needs something else... Sometimes I think it needs a bit more work, and then I ruin it!!

If I'm not very keen on a page I'm working on, I tend to keep trying more and more layers to rescue it (which usually doesn't work, but sometimes does!)

All you can do is give it your best guess! Sorry, that's not much help, is it?!

I think the main thing is to relax and realise that you'll make loads of mistakes and loads of disastrous pages which you don't like - and that's ALL FINE! It's all part of the process.

Oh, and ChrisG - thanks for your lovely cheerleading reply after my bloghopping burnout - I want to hire you as my life coach!
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 02-08-2010 at 03:08 PM.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    I had a little nosey on YouTube last night at some art journal tutorials and techniques - there was one woman in particular who although I wasn't keen on her final pages, she showed good techniques (I forget her name now!) but one thing I was confused by, was how many layers she used??!!
    She did this nice background with painted writing, looked very lovely then basically painted all over it so you could barely see the last couple of words and then stuck stuff on top of that!? I couldn't help but wonder what the point was in doing the original writing if it was barely legible by the end??

Also, with pages that can't be saved - do you still keep them or get rid??

One day I'll be living the dream...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Hello...another one popping my head round the door.

I started my first journal a couple of weeks ago, but just had some backgrounds in it but I went on Dyan Reaveleys Beginners workshop atthe weekend and it's woken me up somewhat. Need to take some photo's to blog as I bravely took my journal in hand and went for it!

I'm going to pop back to that huge list of links and work my way through them.

Dedicated Scrapper GuernseyGirl's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    I've been lurking a bit and having a good read and look at some of the lovely work on the links which have been posted! I've been wanting to have a go at this for a long time but wasn't sure where/how to start!

Well, you'll be pleased to know that I have started something!!!! My DH had some huge paper bags from work which i have sewn into a paper bag book so thought I'd give a go a some art journalling - wondering if they might be a bit big but gesso'd them and have painted some acrylics and a bit of stamping - that'll all at the moment. Getting ready for hols on friday so time is a bit scarce will all the planning & packing! Wondering whether to take some with me....Hmm, will see.
    Naomi

My Blog

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    Wow it seems like quite a few of us are dipping our toes in the water? I feel like I've discovered a great secret ... the ONE thing I was absolutely waiting for!! Fabulous

View Gallery

YAY!! Totally agree Zullybelle - it's so great that more people are jumping on board the art journalling train! Hopefully we can all keep talking about what we are up to. I love to hear about what other people are doing/trying out, and I like seeing people's pages.

The paper bag book sounds fab - how big is huge?!? I'm intrigued!

I always have at least two journals on the go - one square just less than 10"X10" and the rectangular is A4 I think.

Tinkerbell - the 'lots of layers' technique is really popular to create a certain textured, 'worked' look, but not a rule at all. If you prefer a lighter, cleaner style then do that. I do both, depending on my mood. Sometimes I like just a very light watercolour wash for a lovely clear, fresh-looking background to doodle or draw over (often for summer pages). Other days I feel like building up a textured, more complex background. (Or sometimes it just all goes wrong and I end up with loads of layers because I've scrubbed out so much rubbish!)

Writing layers: I love using writing as a background layer - I don't want it to be read word-for-word; just one or two words legible gives a flavour, or impression (which is what I want). In fact, come to think of it I nearly always obscure parts of my text in some way because I don't like the formality of a whole paragraph of writing - it's just not my style.

Getting rid of bad pages: Usually I'm reluctant to ditch them at the time, because I've put so much time and effort in, but after a month or two I realise they aren't worth keeping and enjoy ripping them up! Usually that happens after I've done a couple of pages I do like, so it's fine!

What is everyone else's views on layers, obscured wiriting, getting rid of pages etc? I'm so nosy!
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 03-08-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    Claudia

View Gallery

LOL - I love your nosiness Claudia!

I've just blogged my first three pages....all completely different, well I think they are anyway. I think my favourite one is the mad hatter page. The page was already painted, but I've then added tissue tape to the edges and I stamped my journaling across the page, then added the pictures, high-lighted a couple of the words and gone over them with water colour pencils.

I like the idea of layers but need to experiment more for myself. I've just glued loads of book pages onto one of pages which I'll gesso over then paint. I want to be able to see the pages but them not be the focal point of the page.

Actually I've decided I need (as you do) a barbed wire stamp for another page I have planned...anyone come across one as a solo stamp?

I only scrap on days that end in Y barbaraj's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Loved your pages Vicki. Anyone have "cloth,paper, scissors". They have a new free art journalling technique 'e' book here http://www.clothpaperscissors.com/
    Barbara

View Gallery

Thanks Barbara.

Just checked out the link, the magazine looks interesting as well.

My gorgeous grandsons (love 'em to bits :) ) chrisG's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (39)
    [QUOTE=Miss Lemon;6097696]YAY!! Totally agree Zullybelle - it's so great that more people are jumping on board the art journalling train! Hopefully we can all keep talking about what we are up to. I love to hear about what other people are doing/trying out, and I like seeing people's pages.[QUOTE=Miss Lemon;6097696]

Ohhh how exciting - lots of new faces - We may need to get another sofa in here LOL

Tinkerbell - re the writing as a base - Like Claudia said it creates another 'layer' just a slight variation to a book page or newsprint. May also be regarded as 'hiden' journaling.
    Pages that can't be saved - i don't think pages aren't beyond saving - If your layers are dry then a few coats of gesso would bring you back to a virtually blank page to start over again - If you dont want to save them cut them up and use them as collage elements, borders etc but never throw them away LOL

Claudia - Your really wouldn't want me as a life coach LOL - Honest! -I hope i didn't offend you in anyway - reading back over the post it appears a little sharp rather than encouraging. So sorry if i gave you that impression.

Gurnseygirl - Ohh now I would love to make a journal with different papers in it - your brown paper bag book sounds interesting

Bisckit - sorry cant help with the stamp - but off over to have a look at your bloggy and pages.

Wonderful to see everyones different styles and hear their views - I do hope this thread continues.

On a sidetrack - I posted a couple of my daily journal pages on here a few weeks ago (not sure if its in this thread or another), but my daily journal is A4 size. There's still plenty of pages left in it but I got a fabby (new?) journal yesterday that i can't wait to get started in and if I live to be 100 i'll never fill it LOL - I went to an old mill looking for a book to alter but came away with an old cash journal. It's dated from 1926 through to 1940 and measures a whopping 13"x9" and approx 2" thick and its filled with beautiful coppeplate writing. I Gesso'd a couple of pages last night and now I'm going to start laying down some paint - I may be gone for quite some time LOL. Can't wait to get started in it. If i'm not back in a day or two - send in the troops!

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by chrisG View Post
    ..snip..
    Claudia - Your really wouldn't want me as a life coach LOL - Honest! -I hope i didn't offend you in anyway - reading back over the post it appears a little sharp rather than encouraging. So sorry if i gave you that impression.
    ..snip..
    Not at all! It was just really encouraging! Nothing to offend me at all!

Want to chat more about layers and paint effects and gesso etc etc.., but my lovely hubby wants to use the computer, so gotta go. More tomorrow!
    Claudia

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Quote Originally Posted by biskit View Post
    Hello...another one popping my head round the door.

I started my first journal a couple of weeks ago, but just had some backgrounds in it but I went on Dyan Reaveleys Beginners workshop atthe weekend and it's woken me up somewhat. Need to take some photo's to blog as I bravely took my journal in hand and went for it!

I'm going to pop back to that huge list of links and work my way through them.
    Hi Vicki - the weekend was fab wasn't it?
    I'm just collecting some things to make a start

Gill

View Gallery

Ah - Gill, hello!! I have made a huge shopping list this afternoon which may take me a couple of months...or so. I've only got the images I came away with at the moment. I did pop into a charity shop today but came away miffed because they didn't have anything.

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast