July Wk 4 Miss Defiant

by thriftycrafter

July Wk 3 Bon Appetit

by thriftycrafter

All poshed up

by scrapdolly

Chain Link 1

by alison 2

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

Charmed Cards & Crafts banner

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieMcF View Post
    hi natasha and welcome. I guess you mean the pics you will upload in a better light? I look forward to seeing them.
    Yes sorry to confuse you I will do them tomorrow after work so they should be up tomorrow night. I am no amazing artist btw, but what I do I enjoy and love. Others that post on here have done amazing work, as have you, I love the 'fix you' page.

Keep going and do what you feel is right, one day you will come to love your work

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    thank you natasha - that's a very personal page refleting ona a family member I wish I could save from their troubles. It was very theraputic for me this week to create that.
    my blog
    Christmas stocking swap 2012

My gorgeous grandsons (love 'em to bits :) ) chrisG's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (39)
    Hi Ladies - welcome to the new faces
    as explained earlier not on as often as i would like these days (life = redunadancy getting in the way) but exciting to catch up with all the fabby journal pages & news.

Re pens - Tracie I noticed blocked pens particularly on watercolors - Is your page completely dry? Not just heatgun dry or dry to the touch? but overnight dry? - I always find it better to journal on a page after its been left to dry out completely for a day or two. It may have something to do with the type of watercolours you are using i.e the type of chalk to pigment in the paint - Dont know just a suggestion. If you dont like the sheen of acrylics you could try applying them watered down or applied with a baby wipe as other have suggested - it's more of a wash and dries with a slightly less shiney finish.

Once overnight dry I find most pens just glide over the acrylic paint.

A page or two into the thread there was suggestions on various pens people use for journaling - I think the Zig pens were post popular but there were plenty of others in there.

Must say i've never actually tried your run of the mill biro - may have to give it a whirl

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    Either I've been lucky with pens or the surfaces I've tried to write on! I've been using the Letraset fine liners which came with my promarkers, and was delighted to find that I could write even on surfaces such as Caran d'ache crayons. I must admit to rarely using acrylic paint, I hate how chalky it is when dry ... gives me the shivers.

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsese View Post
    Love your pages Claudia - the hot air balloon is fantastic - is it a stamp?
    Hi Everyone. I wasn't around yesterday - seems I missed a lot of chat!

Tracie It does look like an air balloon doesn't it, but it's actually a glass lamp. I can't remember where I found the image, but I scanned it and printed it onto a book page.

Natasha
    Welcome! Look forward to seeing your pages.

Paint
    Great question Katie! I'm loving reading about everyone's fave techniques!

Personally I am totally in love with liquid watercolours. I also use fluid acrylics, which are slightly translucent. Golden brand are super quality.

I use water with both - I wet the whole page before applying background washes with lovely fat brushes. For effects, I use small sponge rollers, sponges, tissues, credit card edges and whatever else I see around!

Pens I've not had any real problems with drying, but I usually go over my writing twice anyway.

Sorry if this is really obvious, but are you making sure never to store pens with the nib/lid end up? Flat is best, but if they're dry then try them with the lid end down and that might help.

I've recently started using bottled ink (non watersoluble) and writing with it using random pointy objects like manicure orange sticks, old felt tip pens, coffee stirrers etc. Fun to experiment with!
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 20-08-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

One day I'll be living the dream...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Welcome Natasha!

I did a search for the seawhite ones and found an art journaling store... the sound good, nice weight paper. They also sold artist moleskins at a very reasonable price.

Pens...I seem to be doing ok on the pen front. If it's the last layer then I've been using sakura gell pens for doodling, the uniball waterproof one (no issues yet), extra fine sharpies when I'm adding extra colour afterwards with my inktense/paints. I've found the Pilot Hi-tecpoint pens nice for writing with as well. My pages are always bone dry first though.

Paints - I'm using paint dabbers or claudine hellmuths studio paints which are fabulous for layering and getting a good rich colour (some pages here on my blog I did ages ago with them). The store I found earlier has some eco paints in tubes which I fancy giving a go.

View Gallery

Katie - I didn't finish these yet - so at the moment this is just paint on white paper (nothing else), so you can see the paint clearly. (liquid watercolours on w/c paper).

I did wet background washes and 'feather' effect, then as it dried, added very lightly stencilled circles, then numbers and rollered bits, then finally the masked lettering.

Sometimes my touch is too heavy with paint, but I've kept this very light so the whiteness of the paper remains bright. I did this on Tuesday and I've forgotten what I planned to do next - might just add a little journalling and leave it at that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 20-08-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Claudia

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    Wonderful pages Viki - really love the green page.

Chris - I was chatting with a pal last night and she said she sometimes has the same problem with watercolours - especially water colour pencils, which is what I had used on my page.

She said the #1 question she get asked is which pens does she use on her journals.

She also said -

First...make sure you are writing over completely dry paint...I've ruined dozens and dozens of pens by writing over something wet.
    Second...the pens I use are water-based poster-paint Sharpies. Regular Sharpies work pretty decently, but those poster-paint ones rock. I love them!
    The bad news is they're not available in the UK.

I guess I was a little to eager to start doodling!! My page was left for a couple of hours to air dry and then I blasted it with the hot air gun for a few minutes - I need to learn to be a little more patient LOL!

Miss Lemon - Im really tempted to have a play using bottled ink and love how you use alternative items to apply it to your pages - sounds like real fun.

Katie - I too like your "Fix You" page - and you are right....this is soo theraputic.

Zullybelle - the Letraset fine line pen was my favourite for journaling on my scrapbook pages - it worked on all kinds of surfaces and I loved it......wished Id never used it last night

Natasha - Welcome and Im looking forward to seeing your pages.

Im off to hit the local craft shop and Wilkinsons in search of new pens!!!
    http://www.primamarketinginc.com/idea_gallery_designer.php?designer_id=70&designer_  name_first=Tracie%20Hudson
    My Blog
    DT member for Glitz Designs, Sassafras, Pencil Lines and Prima Educator

View Gallery

Claudia that is so beautiful - love the colours you have used.
    http://www.primamarketinginc.com/idea_gallery_designer.php?designer_id=70&designer_  name_first=Tracie%20Hudson
    My Blog

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ellsese View Post
    .....Miss Lemon - Im really tempted to have a play using bottled ink and love how you use alternative items to apply it to your pages - sounds like real fun.!....
    I use Windsor & Newton Indian Ink. It's *luvverly*! Really black and glossy. I did the writing on this one with a manicure orange stick (is that what they're called? Orange sticks? Why?!) It makes a nice scratchy effect like I wanted.

(Hehehe - look at me, getting all carried away attaching thumbnails, now that I know how to!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 20-08-2010 at 01:37 PM.
    Claudia

View Gallery

OMGoodness - amazing pages Claudia....love the Feeling Trapped page.

Ok - I have my shopping list ready - off to raid the art store
    My Blog

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    This thread has been automatically closed.

You will find the new thread created by clicking HERE.

+ Post New Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617