Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Tutorials > Inkscape

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)

Paintbucket Tool in Inkscape - Great for using with pens & for tracing bitmaps

I have been having a play with the Paintbucket tool in Inkscape. Unlike the paint bucket tool in photoshop etc, the paint bucket tool in Inkscape detects areas of colour & creates a VECTOR path around them (how exciting is that!). By adjusting the tool options you can also make the tool trace just inside or outside of the area of colour. This makes it great for filling in text with vector lines. These can then be used to create filled in lettering with a pen.

In the piccie attached below you can see the word Thanks – the T is just under 4 cm high. I used Freebooter script (with font size 200) & set the grow/shrink option on the paint bucket tool to -0.5 point. I used a Silver Stadaedler triplus gel-liner pen to write this.

You can also use the paintbucket tool to create vectors from bitmaps (imported jpgs etc). I haven’t tried this yet but it looks great for use in just picking out a portion of the bitmap that you would like to trace. Take a look at this tutorial that I found on youtube to see what I mean:

Attached Images Attached Images