Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cuttlebug or Big Shot?

Which is best Cuttlebug or Big Shot? I wish I had asked this before I bought the Cuttlebug as my friend just got an electric Big Shot at the bargain price of £70 and now I think I might have made a mistake.
    Jane

fairies are small and sweet and i love them . honora2929's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Dont they both do the same thing though ,i have just bought a big shot from one of the sponsers and i love it .I think if they do the same thing dont worry about and enjoy what you have .HTH x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    for me the big shot is the best due to the wide range of dies you can use on it. I have never had a cuttlebug as it can not take large dies and i wanted one thing which did it all not seperate machines. cuttlebug are good if you go to a lot of crops and things as it is a lot lighter.
    At £70 i would be tempted in gettig an electric big shot as this was on my birthday list but have put it back to xmas now.
    Sylvia

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we continue to fly...on our broomsticks

Driven by Holidays !! craftynic's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Ooo Jane can you say where your friend got the electric big shot at £70 from?
    Nicola

Big Shot

Samuel Taylors in Leeds
    Jane
    Quote Originally Posted by craftynic View Post
    Ooo Jane can you say where your friend got the electric big shot at £70 from?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    Hi,

I wouldn't panic about "only" having a cuttlebug. I love mine. You can use any cutting dies in it as long as you have a C plate. The instructions will give the sandwiches you need for using all types of dies with your Bug. Spellbinders tell you the sandwich you need for them in the packaging. With our 13" long Big up Your Bug plates you can put long dies, even put the sizzex bigz dies through your Cuttlebug.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Moira

Dedicated Scrapper sillysausage's Avatar
    View Gallery

I am also considering buying a die cutting machine and have got it down to either the big shot or the cuttlebug... I am intrigued by the electric big shot, and wonder if it is significantly easier to use than the manual one? (I've never used a die cutting machine, so I have no idea of how easy they might be...). TIA!

Dedicated Scrapper lizzydripping's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    The instructions for the Spellbinders dies in the Big Shot /kick are wrong. Not written by Sizzix. You NEVER put the two clear plates together as they slide against each other & make it difficult or impossible to cut the die. A great number of people on another forum had problems until I pointed this out.

The one electric machines are easier but you don't get the "feel" of the machine. If you have made a mistake with the thickness of the "sandwich" it can cause problems. We all make mistakres at times.

I do free booklets that tell you how to use all makes of dies, embossing folders & brass stencils in the Wizard, Cuttlebug, Big shot/kick and the ones that fit the Original Sizzix. Also the smaller machines Tag-along/side kick & have a guide on the Impress. PM me your EMAIL address if you want a copy of any one of them & of course tell me which one. Too big to send as a pm & too expensive for me to print & post.

Liz

Big Shot Express

My friend just came with Big Shot Express to show me it and we had a play with it and I like it it's much quicker and easier to use than the cuttlebug and now I want one now too!!
    Will be talking nicely to hubby
    Jane
    Quote Originally Posted by sillysausage View Post
    I am also considering buying a die cutting machine and have got it down to either the big shot or the cuttlebug... I am intrigued by the electric big shot, and wonder if it is significantly easier to use than the manual one? (I've never used a die cutting machine, so I have no idea of how easy they might be...). TIA!

Yes I got the list from Liz for the sandwiches.
    The plates are expensive my friend got her Big Shot for £70 so I might as well buy one of those at that price. Jane

Quote Originally Posted by moypoy View Post
    Hi,

I wouldn't panic about "only" having a cuttlebug. I love mine. You can use any cutting dies in it as long as you have a C plate. The instructions will give the sandwiches you need for using all types of dies with your Bug. Spellbinders tell you the sandwich you need for them in the packaging. With our 13" long Big up Your Bug plates you can put long dies, even put the sizzex bigz dies through your Cuttlebug.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Moira

Dedicated Scrapper sillysausage's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddict View Post
    Yes I got the list from Liz for the sandwiches.
    The plates are expensive my friend got her Big Shot for £70 so I might as well buy one of those at that price. Jane
    Thanks Jane, are they still available for £70? I have a friend who lives in Leeds, so I might ask her to check it out for me...

View Gallery

I'm the one who bought this Big Shot Express for 70 quid. Absolutely great fun and oh so quick. I had no experience whatsoever with any kind of cutting/embossing machines, but wow, BSE is a beauty! It takes only for few seconds (lets say 10) to emboss a card, or die cut.

cardaddict and I were laughing and testing her CB and my BS. Need to test properly and take a video of that

sillysausage: Give them a ring (Samuel Taylor) and ask. 70 quid is unbelievalbe great bargain comparing usual "sale" prices or campaigns... The store is in Roswell St, LS8 easy to go and ohdearme how much nice stuff (How can a humanbeing get so excited and happy seeing piles of papers and stickers and pens and machines and dies and and and and.....

View Gallery

Oh, need to mention this: Like lizzydripping said "don't get the "feel" of the machine" when using electric one. There is also this "organ grinder" element or this old fashioned washing machine feeling

Really I'm a newbie with all this but enjoying. Loads.
    Last edited by Cromwell; 15-04-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: nonsense

Dedicated Scrapper lizzydripping's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    The "feel" that I refering to was the one where you know that the sandwich is too thick or too thin. Too thick & you have to stop or damage your machine.

Liz

View Gallery

lizzydripping: "know that the sandwich is too thick or too thin" It was excactly my point, indeed. We saw it yesterday when cardaddict and I tried to figure out the correct thickness for different dies/cards. To be honest with you, I would like to get ordinary cutting machine as well.

Rest of the message was just for fun. I do apologise if anyone thought anything different. This hobby has given me so much fun and good time already.