Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decoupage tip

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)

Lightbulb decoupage tip

This may be already well known but I thought I would put it up in case, I find that my cut out decoupage looks very white on the cut edges, so I tried running a similar colour promarker against the edge of the card, (with the side of the promarker tip) I was really chuffed with the result it can even camouflage some not so well cut edges. Hope that makes sense.

Tom

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I was shown this trick when I first started learning how to do decoupage many years ago - but using a soft lead pencil; but it's always useful to include this sort of information as people don't always know this sort of thing. Another trick to avoid white bits showing is to hold your scissors at a slight angle so that you undercut the edges - mind you this obviously won't work if you're using your Craft Robo, will it!

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    That's very helpful, thanks Tom! I'd never thought of doing anything like this, I'll try and remember to give it a go next time.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Thanks Tom, very useful tip for me as a newbie to crafting.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure! Julie-Ann's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)

another tip....

after cutting out all your parts place them upside down on an embossing mat (the foam side of a mouse mat works too) and gently rub over with an embossing tool.

If the paper is on the heavier side or just not smooth just rub over with either a tumble drier sheet or a candle to give it some slick.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I always edge my decoupage pieces, but I also do the same to my foam pads. I can't get on with silicone glue and didn't like the shiny white foam showing from the side view of my assembled decoupage, so I use a similar colour to the main decoupage colour to colour the edges of my foam. It helps to disguise it.
    Best Wishes
    Tootsie (Diane)

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I've done that with foam strips round shaker cards too! But I now tends to make the shakers as boxes instead.

Julie-Ann I always curve my decoupage too but often just curl it with my fingers. It makes it look much more natural doesn't it! (A real hate of mine is "flat stacked" decoupage... )

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure! Julie-Ann's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    Tootsie, I know what you mean about that awful shiny white standing out......

Remember you can now get black and clear foam which is really useful if you dont get on with silicone.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hi

Thank you for the tips. I have not decoupaged very much, but will use it next time I do
    Jo

Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

One problem with decoupage is that if you make it too deep it will not go through the post as a normal letter and you either have to pay for a large letter or the recipient ends up having to pay extra - though no such problem if you're delivering personally.

So what I often do is instead of using foam tape/pads is to stick a piece of card to the back of each piece and stick that to the one below, this still gives a raised effect but is more subtle. Or of course silicone can be used as it can be spread thinly - though I tend to stick to Pinflair gel as ordinary silicone can show through your design as a greasy mark, spoiling all that hard work at the last hurdle.

Ruth

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Good tips on here had never thought about colouring the edges in - I still have much to learn!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Great tip colouring in round the edges Many Thanks

View Gallery

I'm completely new to decoupage and really appreciate all the tips on here. I was hoping someone could advise me on cutting tools - any scissors that are particularly good for cutting out intricate designs? I've just got the Katy Sue Designs cds and the pics are beautiful but very intricate and I think I may struggle to get them looking just right. I'm thinking a pair of really good quality small scissors - any suggestions?

Many thanks Kaye x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    I think some crafters use the curved snippers as they have small blades... I was told it was better to move the paper thru the blades rather than the other moving the scissors around the cutting line too iykwim

Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

I use the orange fiskars needlework scissors. I now have three pairs as I keep losing hem! A lot of the small special decoupage scissors don't have big enough 'holes' to get your finger and thumb through and are really difficult to use.
    Ruth