Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Testing and Help

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

Hints and Tips for Resizing for the Gallery

I get a lot of questions from PC users who want too know how to resize their layouts for UKS. I can offer some very general advice (ie make a JPG, make it 72 dpi, 500x500 pixels, etc) but am not exactly up to date with PC software.

Could someone (or a few someones ) write up a HELP file I can put here as a sticky? It would be great to know free or with Windows resizing software, or Photoshop instructions for PSE. Anything PC based really.

PM me!!

THANKS

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (67)
    Couple of good links here ..... also you tube has some great videos showing you exactly how to do it.

For photoshop and photoshop elements
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/331/331327.html
    http://www.ideastraining.com/PDFs/ResizingPhotos.pdf
    http://www.pacameraclub.com/Articles...20Elements.pdf

You tube tutorial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu5adJfxuhw

SMAX
    This is one I always recommend as it is a free program.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I use Irfanview and a plug in which are free. Just type in the size you want the file to be in kb click and it's done.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Right click on the photo and choose Open with and then on the next mini menu Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Click on edit pictures. On menu on righthand side of screen choose compress pictures. Click on either documents or web pages depending on what you are going to do with them. Done! Just need to save your picture.

I'm not a complete idiot; some parts are missing! Jimjams's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
    This is one I always recommend as it is a free program.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm
    I use this all the time - dead simple to use - load your picture, choose the dimensions (from some suggested sizes or set it to be 500x500, 400x300, 1000x500 or whatever you need) save to disk (and the program helpfully adds the dimensions into the name for you) and Robert is your father's brother!
    Just seen you wanted a PM Mary Anne - on its way!

[and I am copying it in here - it seems easier to simply make the thread here sticky then if someone has a question about any suggestion they can contact the author directly! MA]

First download PIXresizer for free from here and install it. It works for Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/2003/XP/Vista apparently.

Save your photo to disk from your camera and start up PIXresizer.

1. On the "Working with one file" tab click on "Load Picture" - this brings up the last folder used (to load) - you may need to navigate to the place where you saved your photo.
    Click on "Open".

2. Select the new size you want either by percentage (25%, 33%, 50%, 75%, 100%) or choose a Custom Size.
    With Custom Size, make sure that the Maintain Aspect Ration box is ticked - just choose the pixel size of one side and the program picks the other side's size for you.

3. Select the format to save in (JPG and PNG are all that the UKS gallery allow).

4. Click on "Save picture" to save your re-sized photo - again this brings up the last folder used (to save) - you may have to navigate to the place you want this photo to go to.
    PIXresizer automatically adds the dimensions to your file name so that you know which is the original and which is the re-sized version - useful if you save different sizes of the same photo for e-mail, web, avatars etc.
    Click on "Save".

For square LO photos with custom dimensions of 500x500, saved as JPG files PIXresizer normally gives me a file of around 65-75Kb and 600x600 results in a JPG of around 120-130Kb.
    Last edited by Jimjams; 24-09-2009 at 11:28 PM.
    Jemma
    ScrappyCat

Holiday Bus Hufflepuff ♥Hearts♥ •CSI• »Lions« ~~Ships~~ ♫ Jingle Belles ♫ ►Explorers◄
    SLYMI: 47/52....My blog

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by hopberni View Post
    I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Right click on the photo and choose Open with and then on the next mini menu Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Click on edit pictures. On menu on righthand side of screen choose compress pictures. Click on either documents or web pages depending on what you are going to do with them. Done! Just need to save your picture.
    I compress using MS Picture Manager too. It creates nice compact files of around 30-40Kb, which means you can upload lots!
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

Witch Daisy Lovegoods is Hyperscraps Dedicated Elsonbabe's Avatar
    View Gallery

alright...what am I doing wrong....

I have resized the photo to 153 x 160 px...and found it's compressed to 22.5kb....so why is it saying my file it too big ????
    wish my brain would retain the information given...Joy's Blog
    ...Getting back into the swing of things...

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Where is it saying it's too big?

If you are trying to upload a photo into your gallery it should be OK, though if you've got a lot of stuff already there you may have filled your allocated space allowance so will have to delete something else to make room.

If you're trying to load it for your avatar, then the permitted file size is a lot smaller: a maximum of 120x120 pixels or 19.5 KB - whichever is the smaller of the two.

If it's something else then you need to give some more information.

HTH,
    Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

it's saying it when I go to upload it in the cards gallery....but I thought that was a sub title to my gallery...which only has one other card in it...

I'm not a complete idiot; some parts are missing! Jimjams's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    Perhaps you should post your question in the "Testing and Help" forum here rather than on this thread which is only telling people how to resize their images.
    It stands a better chance of being seen by the people that can help if it is a separate request for help in "Testing and Help".
    Jemma
    ScrappyCat

Holiday Bus Hufflepuff ♥Hearts♥ •CSI• »Lions« ~~Ships~~ ♫ Jingle Belles ♫ ►Explorers◄
    SLYMI: 47/52....My blog

View Gallery

have made a new thread...see if I can get an answer

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thank you, this helps. my pics always came out too big!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Quote Originally Posted by hopberni View Post
    This is fab - thanks! Couldn't use the other one because I have Windows 7!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerlly View Post
    This is fab - thanks! Couldn't use the other one because I have Windows 7!
    Do you mean Pixresizer if you do it works on W7, I'm using it and I've got W7.