Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)

cardmaking magazines are they just getting the same all the time or is it just me

that thinks so,i have been getting several card making magazines mainly papercraft inspirations but i feel as of late they have gone flat and uninteresting in there content,same with papercraft essentials too. Do you think its because i have had them so long or that is the fact that they have.

just interested and wondered where others might go on the internet for card inspiration.

susannah

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    well I'm not much of a cardmaker, but I've made all my own cards for a few years now. I only buy card magazines about once a year, partly because I don't get much out of it if i buy them continuously.

I come here for inspiration, and I blog hop... especially the challenge blogs: caardvarks, daring cardmakers etc.

Let the good times roll......... CraftyPrincess's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (26)
    I tend not to look in mags for inspiration I just pick out papers that I like and sit and create or I scribble down ideas in a notebook and then they evolve into cards. Daring Cardmakers and other challenges like the one on here are a great way to get started if you need a push though and if you see someones cards on there you like you can visit their blogs to get more inspro.
    I did enjoy the new Cards magazine actually if you're looking for a different mag, it's the one like Scrapbook Trends but with cards, lots of the sponsors here stock it.
    Leo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    Susannah, was thinking the same thing about PI myself today.

memories are made of this maxinep's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I was just having a sort out of old mags and not keeping hardly anything from them either which is proof that they are all the same now. I think blogs and especially challenge blogs are by far the best for inspiration and new ideas, and they are free!

Leann: Paper Addict...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I'm not a big fan of the mag's either, they do all seemvery "samey" - I much prefer blog-hopping for inspiration. I'm on the CCT DT and it's great having to challenge yourself every week!

I do have friends who design for the mags and I know they're really limited by what they can actually do - they can't over embellish, use certain products and one was recently told her cards were too complicated for the readers - how insulting!!!!!

Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I never really look at card magazines any more... Although I still like a good flick through the card section in Scrapbook Trends, and I have enough ideas piled up in the 6 or so back issues of Card Trends to keep me going for a while. But all that asside I find the most inspiration looking at projects online, be they via challenge blogs, sketch blogs or even scrapping projects using stash I rather like!

I'm afraid many of the mags on the shleves in the UK just don't feature the style or stash I like so not that inspiring for me... But at least it saves me some money!

~ Natty ~

View Gallery

I've recently cancelled my subscription to a crafts magazine. It covers all crafts not just cardmaking but that was also getting to be very 'samey'.

Anyway, I never copied any of the ideas from the magazines, I much prefer going with my own.

I would rather go through my stash of paper - trying different combinations and when I find one I like then go with it and add suitable embelishments.

It doesn't always work out but hey, that's life!

Jane

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (90)
    think it happens with the mags they do get a bit samey I miss mags here in SA but find when I do get them sent they are not as inspiring as imagined much better to look at the card challenges etc like already suggested and the price of the mags can nearly buy a book for the price

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Hmmm. I was just thinking today that I haven't bought a cardmaking mag for ages so maybe I'd treat myself at the weekend, but by the sound of it that might be a waste of money!!
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by SamG View Post
    Susannah, was thinking the same thing about PI myself today.
    Me too! Have been a subscriber for a while and have been meaning to cancel for the last several issues. Does anyone get The Craft Stamper? Am thinking of subscribing to this instead of PI for some more challenging ideas and techniques. Having said this, I agree that there is SO much inspiration available online for free it's hardly necessary to buy mags at all (I just like having them drop on my doormat every month.. it's a hard habit to break).

View Gallery

It became a habit for me as well, buying a few different mags, but not really getting anything out of them, in most there wasn't one card I would have liked to make. So I have stopped buying them, and really find much more inspiration on here and on various blogs and challenges. I suppose it just depends on what sort of cards you like to make, I guess for some people they are fine, but they just don't inspire me.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    I love getting mags every month too, but not cardmaking ones. Although I'm primarily a scrapbooker I find it really hard to make cards, but cardmaking mags just don't offer me the inspiration. I probably buy one every 6 months or so..

It *is* nice to have a phyisical thing you can sit in bed reading etc.

View Gallery

I get craft stamper and really love it. Lots of inspiration and techniques. Although of course they all involve stamping, it does cover a variety of techniques, projects and styles.I used to get scrapbook inspirations but found that became very samey.

Maggie Pie

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    I'm thinking of subscribing to Craft Stamper.. I like look of the free gift they are offering this month. I also sub to SI but for 2 months on the trot it has not arrived and I've had to order a replacement. So far August still has not arrived! Anyone else having this problem? I thik it's Royal Mail at fault as opposed to SI. But VERY frustrating!