Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

sometimes I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe materialgirl197's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (21)

Lumpy Bumpy Background

I'm doing the 8x8 Jigsaw Swap and I have an idea for one of the pieces but I'm not quite sure how to do it.
    I want to make the entire background of the piece lumpy and bumpy.

The theme of the piece is Native American and I want to make the background swirly gold - like the bottom picture - but I want it to be tactile and lumpy. How would I do that? I was thinking of using acrylic gold paint as the base but I'm not quite sure how do get the tactile effect.

Any tips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JUDITH

My blog
    Tell Me A Story CJ(host)
    Mojo Busters aka Cadubury's CJ

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I've used (stencil) embossing paste on ATCs to give a raised textured effect - heating it with a heat gun will cause it to bubble and blister and creates some great textures, so it might be worth giving this a try. I have some unknown brand pastes and some made by Dreamweaver, and it comes in all sorts of colours, including metallics. I believe you can also mix the white with a little acrylic paint to colour it.

I use a pallette knife to daub the paste on fairly thickly and roughly, then "draw" on it with a cocktail stick to move bits around, and maybe heat it up till some areas bubble; you can the squidge or pop the bubbles to get different effects again.

If you want more regular textures there are also all sorts of different texture/embossing plates you can use, and I've occasionally seen some bubbly type papers and cardstock.

HTH, Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

sometimes I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe materialgirl197's Avatar
    View Gallery

Rosemary - that is exactly the background I want to do - thanks for the tip. Off to hunt for some embossing paste
    JUDITH

My blog
    Tell Me A Story CJ(host)

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (18)
    This is a piece I made using handmade paper soaked with gravy browning and water. Arrange the wet paper into folds on absorbent surface and using a large sponge (car sponges are great)press hard on the paper to soak up some of the moisture. Leave to dry overnight and you get a beautifully textured paper.
    Another way is to use tissue and PVA.
    OLIVE XX
    MyBlog now updated.Nov. points 70. Swap NEWS-

View Gallery

That is brilliant Freedom. I'm def gonna give that a go.
    JUDITH

My blog
    Tell Me A Story CJ(host)