Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper A.Dutch.Angel's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    sorry for my late reaction, well ive seen the different kinds of coloring but so far i like my pencils the best.
    Mine are derwent colorsoft, theyre not cheap, but a while ago there was an offer for a wooden box with 72 colors for 70 euro's. I totaly love the blending, i use doezelaars dunno how u call it in english, smudge sticks?

i was thinking of tryin my acrylics sometime with lots a flow through it, just 2 try it out lol

btw. die pencils i use arent watercolor, its on oil base if im correct.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    and don't forget good old brushmarkers and aqua pens (althouhg I have only used mine once since I got promarkers!).

If you are on a budget and want to get into colouring images then make a start with ordinary felt pens, scribbled onto an old saucer or similar and pick the colour up with a damp (not dripping wet) paint brush...then start colouring. Have some kitchen towel handy for mopping up drips.

Jenni

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I like to try different things and I too have phases. I have most things that have been on the market including Copics which I love as they are so quick and easy and wouldn't be without. My latest love is the Koh-i-noor woodless pencils which I blend with Sansador. When I first started crafting I had Whispers pastel markers and a blender pen which I found were excellent and I had very good results from..... but you do need watercolour paper to get the best effect.

View Gallery

Water colour pencil with a water brush. Also like distress inks, pearlex pigments...

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good Beej's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Like most of you have said I go through phases. I love watercolouring my stamps, at the moment, I'm getting strated on a few Christmas images (sorry I know) and watercolouring with Sakura Stardust, just bleed them onto an acrylic block and you get a really soft colour and twinkle
    Bev xx

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    A bit of a 'sideways' question here! I have just started to use some of the loads of stamps I have to produce coloured images. I'm using watercolour pencils, and can get reasonable results but .... I'm not sure what to stamp onto.

If I use cardstock then it goes all wavy when I use the waterbrush ...

If I use watercolour paper the image doesn't stamp properly, as the paper is not flat! I have tried to find flat watercolour paper in my local art shop, and in places like Hobbycraft, but it all seems to have a signficant texture, and is also not very white.

Suggestions on a post-card please! Your help really would be appreciated.
    Eileen

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I'm in the same boat Eileen. I've tried watercolour paper, it says 'double sided high white smooth cartridge paper' and it stamps great but it isn't really white and against other card it looks off white, nearer cream. At present I'm using a thick white card which looks great, the stamped image looks great but if I add water it looks awful. It takes promarkers and other pens brilliantly though. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is using.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I use Windsor and Newton Cotman Watercolour paper which is quite smooth but is an off white colour. I have never seen pure white watercolour paper to be honest. I wouldn't use anything other than watercolour paper though if I was watercolouring. I use Windsor and Newton Bristle board or Rymans laser copier coated white card if using Copics or Kho-i-noor and Sansador

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure! Julie-Ann's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    I love using Marvy Le Plume II and also Zig Brushables. Have had some good results on hammered card and also linen for a different texture.........

View Gallery

I use heavy white cardstock generally but white hammered card can give a great effect if your doing landscapes/foliage, but like you say it tends not to be pure brilliant white in the Dulux sense
    Bev xx

View Gallery

JINX mother
    Bev xx

View Gallery

It's not just the colour, though, I'm more annoyed when the details on a stamp don't 'take' because the paper's not flat. I'll look out for the W&N Cotman stuff.
    Eileen

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Eileen try stamping with Versafine if you don't already. Stazon doesn't always give the best image especialy with polymer stamps.

View Gallery

I'm a recent convert to Versafine, it gives a nice fine image. I think I may have still been using Stazon when I last tried on watercolour paper, and it skipped bits.
    Eileen

Passionate Scrapper craft genie's Avatar
    View Gallery

I usually use water colours (Derwent) and even though they are expensive I do paint and sketch as well so I don't mind. I also use acrylics, perfect pearls, tea bags soaked in water and various other media/ techniques. I love the shading and colouring effects of these mediums.

All the best with your colouring and cardmaking efforts!

Cheers,
    Avantica
    Last edited by craft genie; 23-07-2009 at 02:32 PM.