Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)

Shopping in Amsterdam?

I'm going to Amsterdam next weekend and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good craft shops?
    I also love getting odd old bits in second hand/"junk" shops and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction?

Ta muchly in advance!
    sab x
    a journey to nowhere starts with a single step, too
    My Blog
    MOJO SEEKERS
    12 days of christmas swap

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)
    just at the bottom of the main shopping road off to the right as you go down towards the river end there is a rubber stamp shop with loads of magenta stamps and others too. I think it is called something like posthuis-used to have the details but not been for ages. diagonally opposite to the left there is a fab bead shop with more beads than you could ever hope for. Somewhere along the riverside there is a shope that is covered floor to ceiling with different papers. Not been for ages and ages so they may have closed by now but I'd be heading there if I was going back to Amsterdam. Good luck and let me know if they are still there.
    KAREN

MONTHLY TAG SWAP,
    MY BLOG

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    The shop you're thinking of is Posthumus .... fab rubber stamp shop to drool in, through the arch from the Amsterdam Historical Museum (which is a really good museum as well!). Last went there in June 08 when they had Magenta, hero arts, technique tuesday, autumn leaves and lots of other brands ... also take your camera as their window displays have some amazing stamping ideas!

I got a set of unmounted flower monogram alphas from there which are usually only sold as wooden mounted but they are the only place (I searched the net for them ...no where else had them) I found the set as UM and a fraction of the price of the full wood mounted set! I didn't buy them (they came as a christmas pressie, I think they are Magenta) but fortunately my parents went a while after me and bought them for me, as I really wished I'd got them when I saw them, rather than err and not get them!!! Mind you from that we found my dad really loved all the rubber stamps, mum had to drag him out! (its the printing stuff, he still has a set of typeset in the garage and used to print stuff as a hobby, but he can't get hold of the rollers .... we've not let him get near our rubber stamps yet!).

Caz

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)
    Spooky did you go to the bead shop opposite?
    KAREN

MONTHLY TAG SWAP,
    MY BLOG

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    oooh yay! will def be going to these shops!
    ladies!
    a journey to nowhere starts with a single step, too
    My Blog
    MOJO SEEKERS
    12 days of christmas swap

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    Quote Originally Posted by KJJC View Post
    Spooky did you go to the bead shop opposite?
    nope, but I did get a nice coat in the neapalese clothing shop (which I love as an alternative to my fleece, even if its fleece lined!) opposite the arch!

Have fun in amsterdam!

Caz

Plant smiles, grow laughter, harvest love... dancingqueen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    There is a scrapping shop about half an hour out of the centre. The staff are great, very helpful and it's a lovely little shop. I'll find the details and PM them to you. Also, if you like 'junk' shopping, you must go to the markets that pop up all along the canals over the weekends. The best 'junk market' shopping I've been to in Holland is in Delft, however - Saturday mornings are just brilliant - the whole town comes alive with thrift! The town itself is beautiful too, with the Vermeer Museum (well worth a visit), the Delftware factories and the Church with the House of Orange tombs - if you've got a spare day, I'd definitely recommend it. There's a great haberdashers in Delft too. All in all, well worth the 40 minutes or so on the train from Amsterdam.
    Last edited by dancingqueen; 28-04-2009 at 02:36 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I was in Holland last summer (further south than Amsterdam) but found that in general there were lots of crafty things in shops even though they werent specifically craft shops IYKWIM!! I got lots of stuff to bring back and there were gorgeous ribbons and felt shapes everywhere similar to Queen & Co.