Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    CClearner is excellent - I can also suggest Auslogic Disk Defrag. Much nicer than windows inbuilt rubbish, free and updated frequently. http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag.
    /\/\at-/\/\oo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    In spite of using a router, I still like to have a software firewall, to see what is going (or trying to go!) out. It always surprises me how much software decides of its own accord that it would like to make an outside connection when there's no reason at all in my mind for it to go calling home...

I used to use Zone Alarm years ago until it ended up with a known issue with some email software. I found another excellent freebie which is unfortunately no longer with us, and now use the free Comodo one.

If anyone wants to check how well they're covered from the outside, there are online services such as Shields Up that you can use.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

Card maker/scrapper and sort of Photographer! elwoodsusanm's Avatar
    View Gallery

rolling

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    In spite of using a router, I still like to have a software firewall, to see what is going (or trying to go!) out. It always surprises me how much software decides of its own accord that it would like to make an outside connection when there's no reason at all in my mind for it to go calling home...

I used to use Zone Alarm years ago until it ended up with a known issue with some email software. I found another excellent freebie which is unfortunately no longer with us, and now use the free Comodo one.

If anyone wants to check how well they're covered from the outside, there are online services such as Shields Up that you can use.

Rosemary
    Thanks for this Rosemary I have just been on Shields Up and passed with flying colours
    God must love stupid people-He made so many of them

View Gallery

Rosemary
    I do the same too, Rosemary. I use Outpost firewall Pro because it gives a very good view on exactly what is trying to access everything without slowing the system down. The makers of Outpost (Agnitum) have been doing a lifetime licence offer for around £35 which gives you a licence for all available product updates, so I treated myself to one over xmas.

For users who are not very techy, they might find a firewall of this kind a little daunting and annoying when it constantly asks if you what to allow this and that. So I normally recommend something like Eset's Smart Security as that has NOD32's AV engine and a very user friendly firewall interface too without alot of on screen allow/block popups.

But for the more techy, outpost is awsome.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Thanks Rosemary I've just checked my laptop and it's completly safe.

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - Fuschia's Avatar
    View Gallery

thanks Rosemary, my PC passed all checks and is completely safe at present.

View Gallery

Brian - thank for the info about my Router.

I'm downloading Avast as I type. Hoping this is all I'll need.

I'm going for this one as a few of you have mentioned its good and my washer has just given up the ghost so I have to save my pennies for a new one

everyone.

View Gallery

Thanks Fuschia,

Will try that when I can get near the PC, lol. My DH is using it at the moment. Thanks for the help.

Myra

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Fuschia View Post
    Brian - thank for the info about my Router.

I'm downloading Avast as I type. Hoping this is all I'll need.

I'm going for this one as a few of you have mentioned its good and my washer has just given up the ghost so I have to save my pennies for a new one

everyone.
    I changed from AVG to Avast Anne. It updates almost daily which I think is a good thing. I've not gone wireless yet but when I do I'll try to remember about the firewall as I already have a free one installed
    Last edited by DJG; 24-03-2009 at 07:19 PM.

View Gallery

Yes as Brian said Doreen I shouldn't need another firewall as Netgear already has a good one built in.

I do hope Avast is easy to use.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)

Rosemary

for that Rosemary, I am in Stealth mode so it tells people no computer exsists at my IP adress.
    Tina craft robo

Card maker/scrapper and sort of Photographer! elwoodsusanm's Avatar
    View Gallery

rolling

Quote Originally Posted by silverst170 View Post
    for that Rosemary, I am in Stealth mode so it tells people no computer exsists at my IP adress.
    I don't exist either
    God must love stupid people-He made so many of them

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Fuschia View Post
    Yes as Brian said Doreen I shouldn't need another firewall as Netgear already has a good one built in.

I do hope Avast is easy to use.
    I haven't had any problems with it Anne

View Gallery

I use Avast too - don't even know it's there really, it just gets on and does it's thing quietly in the background
    Ramblings of a Robo Rebel

Forever Memories For You for all you Robo needs

[/FONT]3, That's the magic number. Yes it is, It's the magic number .

View Gallery

Thats great news Doreen and Niki.