Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - Fuschia's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

I've solved it, there must have been something left over in the PC's memory about printing to the Canon. I went to the control panel, found the printer icon, right clicked it and told it to cancel all documents, then the icon disapeared. Thought I'd let you all know so you're not sat there like I was - scratching your heads.

View Gallery

Hi

Norton came with our PC last year, its now ran out. Can someone tell me if there's things I can download, free preferably, which will protect my PC from everything? Also, they need to be idiot proof.

View Gallery

AVG have an anti-virus and windows has a built in Firewall which works well enough for most people (Depends on how you connect to the net and if that device has a good firewall). AVG has a free edition at http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe and you can also get a free copy of there premium product by using TrialPay (Not sure on this so can not say if it's good or not).

Avira also do a good free anti-virus as well http://www.free-av.com/en/trialpay_d...antivirus.html and again you can use Trialpay to get the premium product.

Then you have Avast at http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html which is free and has a few extras -

Plenty on the net but as a software author/computer nerd, I've been using AVG for years without issue. Although I've heard nothing but good reports for avast.
    /\/\at-/\/\oo

View Gallery

Thanks for the info Mat Moo. I'll go take a look.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Fuschia View Post
    Hi

Norton came with our PC last year, its now ran out. Can someone tell me if there's things I can download, free preferably, which will protect my PC from everything? Also, they need to be idiot proof.
    When it comes to AntiVirus software, everyone has their preferences.

If you are after a free AV, then AVG and Avast are the way to go. I tend to go for Avast if I am forced to use a free AV because I don't like AVG at all, it uses too many resources and finds too many false positives (An example of this is graphtec's Cutting Master 2 software, AVG constantly detects it as a virus and won't let users install it; despite there being no virus at all in the software. Also, when I finally talked Graphtec in to changing all the computers here from AVG to NOD32, we installed NOD32 and on at least one machine NOD32 found a virus which had been on the machine whilst AVG was installed. - Neither of which sing AVGs praises.).

When it comes to security software I personally feel it is worth paying for and that, coming from a freeware addict like me, takes some saying (I'm constantly trying new freeware releases, as well as having wrote a few small freeware tools and in my opinion some freeware is better than its commercial rivals.).

Where antivirus is concerned, there is only one choice for me and that is NOD32 from Eset.com. They also do a Security Suite (called Smart Security) which has a firewall built in but if your happy with windows firewall or you use a router which has a built in hardware firewall, then you'd only need the NOD32 antivirus.

The software is also pretty user friendly, so it doesn't take a geek to be able to use it.

You can find more info on NOD32 and Smart Security here: http://www.eset.com/
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

View Gallery

Hi Brian, when you say use a router, I assume you mean a wireless router, as I do have one of those attached to the PC?

So, if I went for NOD32, which I believe you are suggesting, that would be everything I would need to protect my PC, is that right?

If I have to pay for something which is better, than I'd rather do that than risk losing everything on the PC as my OH also uses it for his business.

A complete dumbo here when it comes to things like this.

View Gallery

Most routers (that includes wireless ones) have a built in firewall which would prevent you from needing to get a software firewall. If you can find out which model router you have I can look it up and tell you if it has a built in firewall.

As for the AntiVirus software; NOD32 protects against viri and spyware, so you wouldnt really need anything else. You can always download the 30day trial and see if you like it before you buy it.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Hi

If you decide to stay with Norton, we found (this week) that buying a disk from amazon is the best for price.

View Gallery

Brian - I have a Netgear Wireless Router

Thanks for the info Lesley, its very expensive off Norton themselves.

View Gallery

Canoon Printer

Hi Fuschia,

I had a Cannon printer, I went to Control Panel, Add/Remove programmes and removed the printer driver, etc. That went but I am left with the registration bit. It won't be removed, I can't find it anywhere on the C: drive, so will have to live with it I suppose.

Myra

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I use Avast and Zone alarm on my PC for protection - both free downloads

View Gallery

Hi Myra

As you've discovered just going to Add/Remove programs and uninstalling doesn't always get rid of everything, it didn't with mine either, so if you go to Computer, then C Drive, then Program files, there should be a folder in there for Canon, then just delete it. HTH. x

View Gallery

Thanks Kaja. Its sounds like Avast is a pretty good one.

View Gallery

I've got a freebie program that cleans up the registry after removing programs and it removes programs it is called it is called C Cleaner you can imagine what the C stands for . I been running it for over a year and had now issues with it what so ever and it does seem to do a good job if you want to give it a try.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

Brian - I have a Netgear Wireless Router
    Netgear routers are very very good routers and come with built in hardware firewalls, so you dont really need a software firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I've got a freebie program that cleans up the registry after removing programs and it removes programs it is called it is called C Cleaner you can imagine what the C stands for . I been running it for over a year and had now issues with it what so ever and it does seem to do a good job if you want to give it a try.
    I also use CCleaner and agree it is a very good freeware program.
    Last edited by BrianP; 24-03-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk