Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Colouring Stamped Images

Hi to all you card makers - I have been having a look at some of the wonderful creations being posted and am inspired to use the magnolia stamps I bought last year (well I did make one card with them) - thing is I have watercolour pencils and the look is nice but pale so I'm thinking of investing in some pens for a 'stronger' look and was wondering which would be best. Can I have some recommendations? Could they be blended with a wet brush like watercolour pencils?
    Woild love some suggestions please...

Normal? No, I'm just me stillcrafting's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    If I want to use pens with water, I use my brush markers. I put some ink onto acetate, blend colours if neccesary with a paintbrush then paint it on. Hope this helps a little. Oh and my brush markers aren't any special ones, they're un-branded freebies I got when I sub'd to a mail order craft club. I know some people use Copics and my friend has said twinkling H2O's are great. I have cheaper pearlised paints that aren't quite as good, but similar. I hope this helps you a little
    Love, Sarah xoxo

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks - it's good to know I don't have to spend a lot!!!

...now with a blog =0) CharlieDK's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)

I use pens but also pencils...

.. just checking that you know you can get a stronger look if you use a waterbrush and take ekstra colour directly from you pencil and paint that on your image. It's a question of layers and some patience.

Good luck with your next cards and make sure to flash them here.

Please drop by and say HI...
    www.hjemmehoscharlie.blogspot.com

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (60)
    Hi jen. I've just started using ProMarkers, which give a really nice vibrant colourful look to stamped images. And they seem to work especially well with Magnolia images. They can be blended too. with a waterbrush type pen, although I don't personally see a need for it.

There is a social group here if you wanted to have a look at some examples.
    Claire {The Blog}

Normal? No, I'm just me stillcrafting's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapster Jen View Post
    Thanks - it's good to know I don't have to spend a lot!!!
    That's always a criteria for me too as I don't have a lot to spend on things.
    Love, Sarah xoxo

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks for suggestions - I am intrigued by the promarkers as the examples are fab - who are they made by and who stocks them?

Did 'splash' out yesterday and purchased a set of marvy le plume double ended pens but got them on that well know auction site so they were under £12 with free postage! Most sponsors seemed to be £20 upwards so it seemed a reasonable buy.

Thanks.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Pro Markers are made by Letraset.
    There are few sponsors that sell Pro Markers - Silly Monkey, Angel Crafts etc or you can buy them direct. I love them!!
    Blog:-Minty Magic's Blog
    CJs: Digi CJ

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)
    They are made by Letraset, and I personally get mine from Silly Monkey Crafts. She does free shipping when you spend £15....she was the first Sponsor to have them (as far as I am aware).

The benefit of ProMarkers over Marvy's is that ProMarkers are Alcohol based so you don't get colouring lines, and you can layer the colour to make it stronger without destroying the cardstock.
    Caz
    x
    My Blogeroo please drop in and say hello

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyCaz View Post
    They are made by Letraset, and I personally get mine from Silly Monkey Crafts. She does free shipping when you spend £15....she was the first Sponsor to have them (as far as I am aware).

The benefit of ProMarkers over Marvy's is that ProMarkers are Alcohol based so you don't get colouring lines, and you can layer the colour to make it stronger without destroying the cardstock.
    Caz
    x
    Sorry to come back so late - have had a look on silly monkeys site but there are lots of different promarkers - which ones are you referring to? Will be due some cash in a few days so may be able to have a spend...

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)
    Jen

The Aqua Promarkers are used with water brush...there are only 10 colours....not worth the money as you can buy other makes with a better colour range.

The ProMarkers are also available as single colours for £1.80 and packs....I started with Manga Set 1, and added the rest of the colours individually....

HTH
    Caz
    x
    My Blogeroo please drop in and say hello

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (90)
    Watching this thread I still not got any promarkers yet but think I should I just have lyra watercolours that I apply with a brush I like the colours but a bit messy for detail thing is I am in South aFRIca but wouldnt think promarkers are heavy love the colours the hardest part is choosing which ones to get

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyCaz View Post
    Jen

The Aqua Promarkers are used with water brush...there are only 10 colours....not worth the money as you can buy other makes with a better colour range.

The ProMarkers are also available as single colours for £1.80 and packs....I started with Manga Set 1, and added the rest of the colours individually....

HTH
    Caz
    x
    Thanks Crafty Caz - will probably go for a set in a few days.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

They are here!!!!

My first set of promarkers finally arrived yesterday (royal mail delays made me wait ) and I had a little play last night. I them and was quire pleased with my first colouring attempt (it took me back to skool days... )

A couple of questions for any pro-marker experts...

Ink - I have a stazon pad but noticed the colour did smudge a bit in places. Is there a better ink pad for the job?

Card - the colours do bleed a little on the cardstock I was using - what have other crafters found to be the best cardstock out there to minimise this?

Thanks in advance for any tips...

View Gallery

This thread is a little old, but I wanted to add my 2cents (canadian eh!) worth. I've used watercolour pencils to colour, but mostly I use pencil crayons with odourless mineral spirits (OMS). If you do a google search for OMS or gamsol (or gamasol) you will find how to do this technique with very little effort and cost with fabulous results. I've also read in other forums of people using bic markers to colour with as well and getting copic-like results. Eventually, I would like to get copic markers, but they are quite pricey.
    Cat
    My Blog: Cat Scrap Fever

Digital Piracy!