Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (53)

getting a good impression

I've just started making cards with stamps so apologies to everyone for the 101 questions that I'm posting everywhere at the moment. The next ques is a really back to basis one but is there a technique to getting a good clear impression every time? Is it better to stamp onto a hard surface or with padded paper or something underneat? I'm finding that sometimes the middle of my stamped image is not coming out despite pressing on all parts of the stamp and wondered if it was to do with the surface,

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    With some of my larger stamps I put my card/paper on to a mouse mat, and that stopped me getting bald patches

Normal? No, I'm just me stillcrafting's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Definately a mouse mat underneath every time for me. Also if you're using unmounted stamps, I'd suggest getting those rock-a-block things that are about. I need to get some as I find I rock my stamps naturally anyway and these would be much better for it.
    Love, Sarah xoxo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hi
    before i use a stamp for the first time, i get some tape and press it firmly on to the rubber and pull it off about a dozen times, as there is a coating and this gets rid of it, making better contact with your card.
    I also find a couple layers of card under what your stamping helps.
    Janet

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (53)
    Great, thank you. I'll try all of those tips! I've not seen the rocker stamps but I'll keep an eye out for them.

Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I usually have a thick magazine on my desk and use that as padding under my card when stamping with larger stamps, especially clear ones.

Also I heard another tip for using up old magazines; rather than chucking them straight out in the recycle box, you use them as your crafting surface and simply tear out the pages you've messed up on as you go. So they're great for painting on or stamping over the borders of cards, and you just rip out the page that's got wet ink/paint on and carry on...

~ Natty ~

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystik Nat View Post
    I usually have a thick magazine on my desk and use that as padding under my card when stamping with larger stamps, especially clear ones.

Also I heard another tip for using up old magazines; rather than chucking them straight out in the recycle box, you use them as your crafting surface and simply tear out the pages you've messed up on as you go. So they're great for painting on or stamping over the borders of cards, and you just rip out the page that's got wet ink/paint on and carry on...
    Great suggestion - now I can fond another use for the craft magazines I collect! Thanks for that.
    Mags

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Really good tips that I have just been reading
    I am a newbie to card making (havn't actually made one yet lol!!!)but I was wonderering how to go about stamping,so I might just give it a go.
    What is a rocker thingy??

genie

View Gallery

Genie, I've PM'd you about these
    Love, Sarah xoxo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Thank you

View Gallery

You're welcome
    Love, Sarah xoxo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (67)
    If you're trying to stamp a really intricately detailed stamp, then I would use a brayer to brayer on the ink and then stamp. This ensures a consistent covering over the whole area of the stamp.

With a lot of these really detailed stamps, I have found that putting the cardstock on top of the stamp and, using a clean brayer, brayer over the area - again, this gives a consistent covering - but I tend to only do it this way if it is one of those photograph-type stamps.

A brayer is a handy tool to have if you're stamping.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I've not had a lot of luck inking a brayer for good coverage of detailed stamps - I've had more success if I slide the ink pad gently over the stamp as well as tapping it. But brayering the card on top of the stamp also works well for me too. Sometimes I think it's a matter of just trying different techniques and seeing what works best for you (or your stamps!)

Watching the stamping shows on the craft TV channels, and searching the web for good stamping sites are both good way of picking up all sorts of useful hints and tips.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."