Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Have to admit the only things I have plugged into my hub is Rosie (my robo) and my external hard drive and they work together quite happily. As I only have 2 usb ports on the back of my main computer I have my hub plugged into one of them and my inkjet printer plugged into the other which means that I don't have to scramble about underneath the desk everytime I want to change something. The hub is placed on the desk in front of me as well which means no bending down when I want to plug in any other usb device.

I also have 2 usb plugs in the front of my computer but 1 of those is taken up by my laser printer

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    My printer and scanner won't work from one of those hubs, so I'm reduced to just swapping plugs or buying a power hub.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

Card maker/scrapper and sort of Photographer! elwoodsusanm's Avatar
    View Gallery

rolling

I have solved the problem by buying an Expresscard that slots into the side of the computer. It has 4 usb ports on it see photo. I always wondered what the slot was for
    Attached Images Attached Images
    God must love stupid people-He made so many of them

View Gallery

That's what I've got but like I said my printer and scanner don't work properly with it, so there's no way I'm plugging CR in.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I recently bought a (quite expensive) powered hub as I needed more USB ports - I already have six - but most of my stuff - external hard drive, etc WON'T work through it. I have two items - my scanner and a dongle - which are very picky and will neither work through a hub, nor work if I swap the USB ports they were installed on. Currently swapping stuff in and out means a hands and knees effort with a torch... until I can work out a "safe" combination.

I thought originally that my hub problem might have been my elderly Windows 2000 but some Google research suggested that there is a data transfer issue with certain peripherals - as Brian has said.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

rolling

Windows Vista has a problem with hubs too but fingers X this seems to be working fine (unlike the others I have tried - powered and not powered). Vista is the same about the USB ports - I have to have the robo/printer etc plugged into the USB port it was in when I installed the driver.
    Sue

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)
    HI, I am about to update my anti virus system and on Brians advice have looked at NOD32v2.7. I am confused though, is this enough or do I need to get the NOD32v3 which has the firewall built in? Also with the duplicate programme is there one that will delete the duplicate files auomatically instead of having to plough through deleting one by one? Any help would be appreciated as I really do not know what I am doing!!! Many thanks Sarah xx
    Last edited by dozeydora; 11-09-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: put manually instead of automatically !!

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dozeydora View Post
    HI, I am about to update my anti virus system and on Brians advice have looked at NOD32v2.7. I am confused though, is this enough or do I need to get the NOD32v3 which has the firewall built in? Also with the duplicate programme is there one that will delete the duplicate files auomatically instead of having to plough through deleting one by one? Any help would be appreciated as I really do not know what I am doing!!! Many thanks Sarah xx
    If you already have a firewall then NOD32 v2.7 will be enough but if you don't have any firewall at all, or your current firewall is part of your old anti-virus, then you are better getting the version with the firewall. The last thing you want is 2 firewalls (or 2 antivirus) installed on the same PC.

As for duplicates, I think most dupilicate finding software will have the option to auto delete the files for you but most people prefer to double check the files themselves to be sure the software isn't deleting anything they acutally need to keep.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)
    Thank you Brian. that is very helpful. But one more question if you dont mind....how do I know if I have a firewall on my computer...is there a way of checking? Many thanks Sarah x

View Gallery

oh no Attention Please

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS_please!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DO NOT INSTALL AV2009 ANTIVIRUS ANYTHING ON YOUR COMPUTER!!!!!

IT IS A MALICIOUS MALWARE VIRUS. HUBBY IS AT A FRIENDS HOUSE AND THE ENTIRE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT IS BEYOND DISBELIEF!
    this thing will NOT uninstall and it keeps on morphing itself.

They finally called me, (I know,...can be scary, but dh is good at this stuff, and they are so locked out) .

I have googled ever fix I can locate on the internet....nope, it isn't working. We HAVE located some of the extension files, but...the whole thing won't go away.
    if by chance, anyone can assist...it is greatly appreciated. pm, or e-mail or use the phone....

This was sent to me by a friend. I would hatefor anyone else to get the virus
    Sue

View Gallery

Have you seen this site

Just changed the link as I trust these people more than the other link.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

i had this a month ago now my sister has it
    if you can find the program
    we had to turn it off before windows starts up
    so you stop it from opening
    if it is the same one
    do they want you to buy there anti virus

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Going back to combined firewall and AV software, I've always preferred to keep these separate - my feelings are that software intended to do a specific job is likely to be better than a "jack of all trades" antivirus/firewall combined version. However, if people aren't very computer savvy the combined versions are probably easier for them to use.

Sara, if you have XP this has a built in firewall but you need to check if this is enabled because as far as I know it isn't by default. However I believe the recommendations are that, since it only offers very basic protection, it's best used in conjunction with other firewall software. Some good quality broadband routers also include hardware firewalls.

You need to make sure that any software firewalls you use provide two way protection: they should protect you not only from harm from outside, but also prevent software that does not need to do so (such as spyware) from contacting the outside world.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

Spell Checker for OE6

Does anyone know if there is an English English 3rd party spellchecker for OE6?

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Does anyone know if there is an English English 3rd party spellchecker for OE6?
    The only decent one is this: http://www.isota.com/product/8_3.asp
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk