Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watercolouring

Dedicated Scrapper hot cross bunny's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Question Watercolouring

Hi all,

This is my 1st time posting on UK Scrappers (despite spending lots of time browsing on here!).

I've only been card-making for a little over 6 months and wondered if you could help - I enjoy watercolouring with Whispers pens or my Sakura pens , but no matter how much I dry the brush my card ends up warping because of the water - do you use special watercolour paper or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks!

12x12 Paper Collector!!! maggiemae's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (73)
    Hi and welcome to UKS

Yes I think most people use watercolour paper to get best results. You can paint on ordinary card but as you've found it tends to warp unless you have a VERY dry brush.
    Maggie
    My Blog Some class instructions and other bits & bobs, stepper box instructions, paper bag book instructions etc

I need Mary Poppins bag for my Tote me thinks ..... J0anne2403's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Whispers do a blending pen, it looks like identical to thei watercolour ones but has a white lid, you can use it like a brush and to my knowledge it doesn't warp the paper/card.

Hope that helps

: SLO - 2x10 = , MINIBK , CJ 1x25 = Total =

So many ideas, so little time .... Mole's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    The less water you have on your brush, the better, as it's the water that causes the fibres in the paper to stretch (I think!!!!). Watercolour paper is specially designed to help lessen this problem.

Member of the BLUE BRADS and SCRAP & TICKLE teams.
    http://molescreations.blogspot.com/

View Gallery

Thanks for the advice - that really helps - may have to add to the stash (again...) with a whispers blending pen.

Another quick question - where do I get watercolour paper from? And can you use it like other paper, i.e. stamp on it, heat emboss on it, etc...

Thanks again!

View Gallery

I get mine from the cheapo Bookscene type stores you see on the high street, and yes, I have rubber stamped, embossed etc with it. In fact, I made all our wedding invites from the stuff! You can get it from some of our sponsors, I'm sure, from Hobbycraft and art shops, too. Just watch out for the different kinds of paper - there are some very smooth ones and some very rough ones!

12x12 Paper Collector!!! maggiemae's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (73)
    WH Smiths had their watercolour pads on offer this week. £4.99 for the A3 size and nice quality paper
    Maggie
    My Blog Some class instructions and other bits & bobs, stepper box instructions, paper bag book instructions etc

View Gallery

Thanks for the help - I was planning a trip to WH Smith anyway to try and get some bargain watercolour pencils

I can see this site being responsible for lots more stash and lots less cash!

View Gallery

You are not wrong LOL!!!!!!!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thumbs up Ghiant Inkjet fixative spray

Hi there. I am a big follower of Pink Pettycoat creations and their website. A good tip from the creater of that website is to use an inkjet fixative spray by Ghiant, the matt version. I have bought this, and you just spray the card and let it dry for about 10 minutes and then paint it. It really does work. Not cheap, I paid about £8 including postage from ebay, but it is a good sized can and it will last for ages. Hope this helps.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Hi I got the pencils and pad from WH Smith they still seem to have the half price offer on.
    Now for my first shot with watercolours probably be better asking one of my neices or nephews to colour in for me as I would get a better result

Ellen

View Gallery

Hi,
    There are several different types of watercolour paper, I use Not finish for watercolour painting it's a sort of general use type paper. Then there is Hot Pressed, that's the smoothie of the bunch. Then there is Rough. Not sure if that would take stamping as there are humps and hollows, will have to try that out.

WH Smith have 30 gel pens on offer for £2.99, at least they did last week.

I haven't used this part of UK Scrappers before, I've been making cards for a lot of years, first on the PC and then I picked up a Making Cards magazine in a local craft shop and didn't even realise you could put things on them. I love gadgets and have a Cuttlebug and Craft Robo, trouble is I spend too much time reading all the posts in here instead of getting on with Christmas cards. It's addictive you know!

(Red Jenny in disguise!) Crafty Beast's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Got some of the half price watercolour pencils for WHS today.... didnt realise until reading that i ought to have got some paper too!!!

Does anyone know where you get those little brushes with the water in? I asked in the shop and felt like i was from another planet.......
    Jenny
    My Blog, pop by for a cup of Tea, some scrapping & stitches.
    http://craftybeast.blogspot.com/

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Royal & Langnickel who make all sort of art stuff do these water brush pens in a set with three different size brushes, so I would imagine you should be able to get them from good(!!) art shops or craft stores. You could ask sponsors if they stock them

I have a set from Art Kure which I got from them at a stamping show and they also sell via their website.

And I think there's a Japanese brand - possibly Sakura? - sold by Create & Craft; you could also possibly check Stamp Addicts (I think they're sponsors) for these, as I think I've seen them using them on their C&C shows.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    I'd recomend the pentel water brushes - I keep one in my pencil case these days...