Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Poll Results: I would say....

Voters
343. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cuttlebug.

167 48.69%
  • BigShot.

165 48.10%
  • Other manual die-cutter.

11 3.21%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    I just thought I'd rock the boat abit... I voted 'other' as I have a Wizard and absolutely love it. It comes in purple which I think is a far nicer colour, is sturdier than either the bug or the bigshot (as it is made of metal) and yet is small enough to transport to crops easily!
    I appreciate it does have more of a 'learning' curve than the other 2 machines and the way it operates is not to everyones tastes, but once you have the hang of it, it is incredibly versatile. More of a 'crafting' machine than just a diecutter. You can use it to cut ANY die on the market, straight out of the box, and emboss any brass stencil, but also you can flatten bottletops, set eyelets, flatten polymer clay, and with the charm embossing kit you can create your own charms out of any metal charm or found object.
    The company that make it, Spellbinders, are a small family run company and their support is second to none. The website is full of ideas and hints and tips on how to get the best out of it with tons of samples to get you inspired.
    BTW I'm not on commission or anything I just LURVE my Wizard (can you tell!!) LOL! I just think it's a shame not that many people consider the Wizard, as it does not get such coverage as the other 'big' company machines (who have big marketing budgets aswell...)

When I bought my Bigshot before Christmas I looked at the Wizard as that was the one I was interested in. I already had a red sizzix but to be honest the Wizard was about £25 more than the Bigshot so needless to say I went for another Sizzix make. I loved the red machine but gave it to my daughter because I wanted the wider machine for the bigger dies and for embossing.

Team Leader of the ScrappyDappyDoos!! egratsia's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    I love my Revolution as I'm a fan of the Quickutz dies ... but I've been eyeing some cuttlebug embossing plates and the longer sizzix plates, so I've taken the plunge and ordered the pink big shot!

I can't wait for it to arrive!
    Eleni - [Press my name to get to my blog]

Only an aunt can give hugs like a mother, can keep secrets like a sister and share love like a friend. !

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrap-happyuk View Post
    Both machines can cut all brands of dies, but only the Big Shot can munch through chipboard (So I've been told)

My cuttlebug cuts though chipboard and mountboard with no problems!! I vote CUTTLEBUG!

Vanessa.
    Vanessa
    My Blog: Vanessa Stokoe
    Challenges at: Sarah's Cards Ltd Blog

New Focus for a New Year Mrs_Tiggy's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Quote Originally Posted by scrap-happyuk View Post
    Both machines can cut all brands of dies, but only the Big Shot can munch through chipboard (So I've been told)
    I use my cuttlebug to cut chipboard all the time. It's not the machine it's the dies. The CB dies work great on chipboard! That's why I got mine. I don't see any sturdiness difference AT ALL! My friend has a Big Shot and I have my Cuttlebug and they both can do the same jobs. It's only a matter of size and space.
    Shelley [Mrs_Tiggy] My Blog

In 2009, I'm Scrapping Like I Mean It: 11 layouts and counting!'

Team Leader of the ScrappyDappyDoos!! egratsia's Avatar
    View Gallery

Yes Shelley you are right ... the only difference is that the Big Shot is 'slightly' wider and they say that some new BIGZ dies from Sizzix do no fit, or just about scrape thru the Cuttlebug ....

The Cuttlebug dies are FAB!!! [Sorry but I chose to get the new Bigshot, what can I say I prefer pink to green! LOL] My cousins and I use them to cut thru sheets of metal type sheets [bronze, pewter, silver] , and we make bookmarks, charms for keychains, necklaces, lucky charms ... etc, and then they sell them in their touristic shop on Naxos!!!
    Eleni - [Press my name to get to my blog]

Only an aunt can give hugs like a mother, can keep secrets like a sister and share love like a friend. !

Dedicated Scrapper cindersmcphee's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Well my big shot is ordered just waiting for it to arrive.

Dedicated Scrapper Gadget Monkey's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    Quote Originally Posted by egratsia View Post
    Yes Shelley you are right ... the only difference is that the Big Shot is 'slightly' wider and they say that some new BIGZ dies from Sizzix do no fit, or just about scrape thru the Cuttlebug ....

The Cuttlebug dies are FAB!!! [Sorry but I chose to get the new Bigshot, what can I say I prefer pink to green! LOL] My cousins and I use them to cut thru sheets of metal type sheets [bronze, pewter, silver] , and we make bookmarks, charms for keychains, necklaces, lucky charms ... etc, and then they sell them in their touristic shop on Naxos!!!
    The bigshot plates are 4mm wider than the cuttlebug, I have had no problems cutting the new Bigz dies in my cuttlebug either, in fact they seem to go through with less effort in the cuttlebug than in my bigshot. I have also found that when cutting mountboard with the bigshot, sometimes it feels like I am going to break it as it takes a lot of effort to wind it through (yes I have already broken one, so a bit more dubious with this one) but the cuttlebug, it just glides through.

The charms sound great though.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I saw a Pink Big Shot being demonstated at Aintree on Friday and fell in love. Wish that I'd bought it, as it is my birthday in a couple of weeks.
    I've not seen the Cuttlebug being demonstrated yet, although I;ve seen the machine, and do like the look of it.
    For the moment I will have to stick with my traditional red Sizzix, and my lttle Sidekick - both of which I love - but if I am going to have difficulty getting things like a cutting mat for it, I might just have to change.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    I have a Wizard and a Zipemate, and a Craft Robo. I find the Wizard hard to use, when embossing Spellbinders dies I was in agony for a couple of days but then I have wrist problems and I am left handed.
    I also find the Wizard, though it cuts very well, cuts through folds on cut and fold Sizzix dies, and it doesn't cut with the Sizzix thins.

The Zipemate was easy to use, I didn't catch my fingers like I do in the Wizard, but cutting Sizzlets used a lot of the cutting mat up in a short time, and didn't emboss all that well (but might be better with the rubber mat rather than foam).

The Robo only cuts thin card and obviously doesn't emboss

I have a lot of dies, all different makes and was considering getting one of these two CB or BS.

I would like Xcaliber but it has been delayed.

I have found the CB for just under £50 and the BS for £60

How is everyone getting on with the BS? How many different makes of die do you use?

I'd rather be......... snowgoose's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    possibly the wrong place for this question, but what do you do with these machines?
    AKA --Genevieve--
    now coming to you from Queensland, Australia

Easily sidetracked scrap monkey's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Not the wrong place............... you cut shapes out of paper, card, felt, magnetic paper, cardboard and mountboard etc, for your crafty things.
    Cath

Dedicated Scrapper lizzydripping's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Why has a four month old thread appeared again? We have had a lot of this lately, there was one that was a couple of years old reappeared the other day.

Liz

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure! Julie-Ann's Avatar
    View Gallery

I use my Cuttlebug with all the dies from my Sizzix and with my Spellbinders dies and it has never failed me yet, I love the little devil..............

Disney Queen and Christmas Addict:) valj's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I'm definitely a Cuttle****** girl
    Valerie-Jane xxx

my wee blog www.stormspad.blogspot.com