Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)

Tortillions / Paper Stumps ? Confused!!

I've got my Prismacolor Pencils on the way, so am now trying to get everything else in ready for them coming. I've not yet located a local store that stocks the Sansador or 'stumps' everyone talks about, but I have been pointed to an on-line store with them -- and where the postage is less than I'd spend on fuel trying anywhere else around home (even if I phoned first and only drove to somewhere that had them!)

My options are :-

Small Paper Stump (6mm dia) Pack of 3 .......... £1.50
    Medium Paper Stump (10mm dia) Pack of 2 .......... £1.50
    Large Paper Stump (15mm dia) Pack of 1 .......... £1.50
    Small Paper Tortillions (6mm dia) Pack of 12 .......... £1.50
    Large Paper Tortillions (8mm dia) Pack of 6 .......... £1.50
    Stump & Tortillion Assortment Pack of 5 (1 of each of above) .......... £2.75
    Small Paper Stumps Bulk Pack of 144 .......... £36.00

But I'm totally confused, as I have no idea what the difference really is between the two types, or what's best in terms of size. According to the site "Tortillons have one pointed end and are used for detail work. Stumps have two pointed ends and are used for smoothing and blending large areas of pastel or charcoal." I assumed there must be some other difference as the Tortillions are a lot cheaper, even when compared to the bulk pack of 'stumps', but all I can find on Wikipedia is that the tortillions are wound more tightly (I'd have expected it the other way as they're cheaper )

But does this mean I really need a mix of the two, even though both come in the 6mm size. And do I need a mix of sizes if I'm only working on stamped images?

I have 'quite a few' Magnolias, and about a dozen Nellies -- plus loads of Penny Black and House Mouse stamps -- so some open areas, but also a lot of pretty detailed work.

And how many do people tend to have in relation to the number of crayons they own? Do you have some you keep purely for colours you use a lot, and then a few you just rub down with sandpaper (which is how I understand you clean these) before/after using colours you only use once in a while?

Any tips/advice will be very gratefully received

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (68)
    watching this thread with interest as I am in the same boat!!!! Where are you getting your stumps from Cheryl?
    Take care,
    Nickyx

View Gallery

Will PM you Nicky -- info courtesy of another UKSer

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Another lurker to see what the others suggest. I'd been wondering about this too, having just ordered my prismas.

I'm thinking maybe to get one stump for each colour. If they are double-ended then maybe one end for dark shades, one for light, meaning less need to file down so often?

Interested to see what sizes everyone uses too. This was what had me stumped (no pun intended), as I'm unsure what (or which) are best for blending the size of areas we normally use for our stamped images.
    ShOnA

You can visit my blog here : Millie Sparkles

View Gallery

I am soooooo relieved to see others also watching for answers -- I sat and googled for hints for over half an hour before I posted, 'cos I was sure I was having a 'dumb blonde moment' and missing something obvious

View Gallery

Nope - just that you're braver than the rest of us to ask
    ShOnA

You can visit my blog here : Millie Sparkles

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

another one here on the waiting list, suely someone will answer, i have seen that some peeps use a cotton bud to blend, just a thought x

View Gallery

I've heard of cotton buds being used for chalk, but not not sure how they'd work with these crayons

(I can't even get good results when I use them with chalk, so probably won't bother trying )

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I'd like to know the answer to all of those great questions too.

Yvonne

Dedicated Scrapper scrappinsfun's Avatar
    View Gallery

There is a fantastic video on you tube, can't post the link as I'm a newbie here. You can use q tips instead of blending stumps, and you can also use baby oil instead of gamsol, I haven't tried it, but those that have swear it does not leave an oily residue or anything on the paper. You put a small amount of baby oil in a glass, put a sponge or kitchen roll on top so that the top surface is barely damp, just touch the cotton bud to it, and carry on as normal.

Insomniac, Nutty Crafter
    View Gallery

Guys

I find that stumps are better than tortillions. Stumps are like pressed paper mache where tortillions are wound paper. I have 2 sizes no 5 and no 7 (small & medium). 7 I use for smaller areas and 5 for blending larger areas. Tried the cotton bud but couldn't get it to work as it was too soft.

CW 18 the prices you have seem very similar to the site I first got them off. I went for the assorted pack as I didn't know what was going to be better. If it is the same site, look under Oil mediums and primers. This is where you will find the Sansador.

I have ordered a few more stumps (as I didn't like the Tortillions) and try and keep them to one colour. I keep a small just for the flesh colours to avoid any mishaps. I just use a two sided nail file to get rid of the colour or to sharpen them. Rough side first then smooth down with the other side.

I keep the Sansador in a small tub with a piece of sponge in it. This is easier than having a big bottle of liquid open on the desk (that just asking for trouble lol).

If anyone need any more info, or I can help with anything else just give me a shout or PM me.

Photobucket link to my gallery if anyone wants to have a look at how detailed you can get with the stumps .... http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u184/Tracieb2004/ all apart from a couple done with prismas and Sansador on the first page.

Happy Crafting Folks

TracieB xxx

View Gallery

Thanks Tracie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

thanks tracie for your help, your artworks great x

Looks like the site where I got mine too - I got 2 packs of small stumps, 2 packs of medium and 1 large. I actually emailed them and asked which would be best

Dipping in and out! Kamilicrafts's Avatar
    View Gallery

As has been said above before you buy these try Johnson's cotton buds! I have loads of stumps but find these much better and have read that the stumps take more off than they leave on!! They have to be Johnson's - good quality ones not supermarket own because they are tightly woven and blend better. There is a great tutorial using them somewhere, I will try and find it! I have just had a quick go and found it much easier.

Zest It pencil blend is also good rather than Sansodor apparently so I am going to try some of this too!
    Grandmothers are just antique little girls