Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Communication is the key pinkbaglady's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)

covering chipboard letters

Please can you help me re covering chipboard letters with paper? How do I get a nice perfect edge? I think I saw someone use sandpaper once but I'm not sure. Any advice much appreciated.
    Denise

Live Laugh Love Craftspirations's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (19)
    Sandpaper is great not to coarse though, or the basic grey File set.
    Gail

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    I tend to paint my chipboard first so the edges have a nice toned in effect, them I stick the letters to the back of the paper and cut them as close as I can but it does not matter if it is rough, I then get sandpaper or my basic grey fileset and sand off the excess, it you dont like the sanded look when it is done which I do most of the time but depending on the lo it may not go, I just lightly ink around the edges, or dry brush the same colour paint around them. I hope that helps.

The most important thing is to have fun doing it, do let us see the finished lo and if anything I said doesn't make sense as I tend to type first and think later lol feel free to pm me

Jay xx

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)
    In my latest uploaded scrap in my gallery i have covered the chippie heart and the die cut arrow in paper. I covered them and then cut around the shape with a craft knife and to allow the white paper to show around the edges I used a nail file. I think the result was great.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    I cover the chipboard letter with the glue, stick the PP paper to it and then trim as close to the lettter as I can and then sand the excess using a nail file.

Have used that technique here for a large chipboard letter and here for a Bo Bunny Word book, although with the word book I then inked all the edges afterwards.

My Blog and My Flickr Gallery. Life through the Lens. My Life. My Photos. My Story.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I can recommend the file sets, they're not that expensive and they are really useful for getting into the little corners you can't usually reach, like the holes in the middle of words.
    Eileen

(Red Jenny in disguise!) Crafty Beast's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Emma that Bo Bunny book looks fab - how'd u ink the edges? Sorry if this is a bit off track xx

If you love life, life will love you back podgy lodgy's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    I paint them first with a primer then two layers of acrylic paint, then stick paper on ad decorate as required. I then sandpaper the edges. There are a copy of letter in my gallery if you care to look, the J is my favourite,

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    Yep I also use the BG File set to sand the edges after covering - you can see a LO done using this HERE. If I'm covering with paper I won't prime the chipboard first as its not necessary but if I'm inking or painting I will to give a good base. On the LO above I used a pen to colour the edges after sanding rather than an inkpad and it gave a really good neat edge to it..... Have fun though because using chipboard on your LO's is great!!

Karen xx
    Scrappincaz xx

My Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (18)
    another vote for the file set.... so useful. I have the BG set which is fab, but my mum bought a set of 8 mini files from a pound shop and they are just as good... just not pink

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I just covered mine and trimmed carefully. Wish I'd thought to paint them first and sand them after - thanks folks I'll get it right next time!

I tried inking the edges, but that was only partially successful as the letters were small and I couldn't get the ink pads in IYSWIM! The finished result is here:
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House