Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    This is a quote from an american site.. but does explain why some people struggle..

"more often than not the real culprit is the language itself. In languages such as Spanish, Italian, German, and Finnish, words tend to be spelled as they are pronounced. But in English–not the most logical of tongues–spelling sometimes bears only a fleeting relation to pronunciation. Indeed, numerous English words blatantly defy the rules of phonetics (the science of speech sounds and their written symbols). All of the following words, for example, contain the sh sound but in each case the sound is spelled differently: chaperon, conscious, issue, mansion, mission, nation, nausea, ocean, shoe, sugar, suspicion."

Mad Cat Person!!! EmilyLovedHim's Avatar
    aka Bagpuss so in the shop window of course!
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    Cause as my late grandfather (who was Welsh!) liked to point out English is actually not a language completely in its own right but lots of bits pulled from other languages !
    Helen
    MY BLOG
    >^..^<Gottachat CJ >^..^<.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by craft fairy View Post
    Poor spelling on a page indicates a slap dash approach to your layouts and spoils the finished page.
    Oooh, that's a nice sweeping generalisation. A poor spelling on one of my pages just indicates that I don't want to bin the whole thing once I've finished it, all for the sake of a spelling mistake.
    Karen ~ Team Scrapitude

Apr

My bloggy blog

Plant smiles, grow laughter, harvest love... dancingqueen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    ooh, i too looooovvvvee the slap-dash approach, wonky lines all the way for me

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    ooh, i too looooovvvvee the slap-dash approach, wonky lines all the way for me
    Lol, I'm really slap-dash - I don't always place my photos in perfectly straight lines either. And, sometimes I tear my pp instead of cutting it.
    Karen ~ Team Scrapitude

Apr

My bloggy blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (19)
    I had to smile at this, as I have always been a bit anal when it comes to incorrect spelling and used to find that it distracted me from the actual content of the LO.

However, I can officially announce that I have changed !

I was reading my grandfathers 'trench diary' from his time in the WWII and India. It was fascinating stuff and I found that the poor spelling and his grammar construction, actually helped to 'bring his personality' alive as I was reading it.

So I decided then and there that we should record history, just as it is, not 'gentrificate' it for the sake of nobility. It's been quite liberating !

Hugs
    M x

Though maybe a dedicated section on the site for common spelling queries might be helpful ?
    I think signatures are over rated From the Ashes Art Journal CJ Creativity Rocks

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (60)
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedangel View Post

Though maybe a dedicated section on the site for common spelling queries might be helpful ?
    That's a good idea!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I admit that in any 'professional' writing I expect to find correct spelling and grammar. And scrapbooking doesn't fall into that category. I like to have correct spelling and grammar on MY pages, but that's my choice. I would never criticize or comment if someone else didn't on theirs. It's THEIR choice. A lot of times it reflects regional variations in language and accents and that, I believe, should be preserved!!

I have had an experience similar to 'M' a few posts back. A few years ago, my grandad decided to write his 'memoirs' from the war (he is 87 and was in the RAF). He would handwrite a few pages at a time and take them to my mum once a week and she would type them up for him. She typed it EXACTLY as he had written it. With same spelling and grammar, whether it was 'correct' or not. When you read it you can almost hear him speaking as it is written just as he speaks. If my mum had changed it to make it 'proper' then it would have lost the essence of my grandad.

I believe that scrapbooking is just the same. It is a personal thing and should reflect the person creating it. I want my children and grandchildren to read the journalling in my scrapbooking and be able to 'hear' me through them.

Hope that makes sense Just my two pennies worth

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by helenmurp View Post
    Cause as my late grandfather (who was Welsh!) liked to point out English is actually not a language completely in its own right but lots of bits pulled from other languages !
    This tickles me most of all as there are not Welsh words for many English words and it never fails to amuse me when I hear someone speaking Welsh and they have to use an English word mid-sentence! BTW I'm Welsh and proud of it!

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by renniwano View Post
    This is a quote from an american site.. but does explain why some people struggle..

"..... All of the following words, for example, contain the sh sound but in each case the sound is spelled differently: chaperon, conscious, issue, mansion, mission, nation, nausea, ocean, shoe, sugar, suspicion."
    And to prove the point, how would you pronounce "GHOTI" ?

"FISH"!

"GH" as in cough, "I" as in women and "TI" as in nation. (works better when said than typed)
    Apparently George Bernard Shaw came up with it, to probve that English spelling needs reforming.
    Rhian

Mad Cat Person!!! EmilyLovedHim's Avatar
    aka Bagpuss so in the shop window of course!
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Smileyk View Post
    This tickles me most of all as there are not Welsh words for many English words and it never fails to amuse me when I hear someone speaking Welsh and they have to use an English word mid-sentence! BTW I'm Welsh and proud of it!
    I recall seeing Pobol y Cwm once (not that I could understand it!) and they are chattering away in Welsh and suddenly it was blah blah blah "double glazing" then they carried on Welsh again !
    Helen
    MY BLOG
    >^..^<Gottachat CJ >^..^<.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smileyk View Post

Might be something to do with the fact that they didn't have phones and such things in the sixth century SmileyK With a lot of the " modern" words/names they sound the same when you speak but the welsh translation is spelt differently. Phone is an example., it's spelt Fon in welsh with a little roof on the O to make it sound like a long O but I don't know how to put it there on the computer !!!
    I do agree with you though, they do use far more English in the conversation in South Wales, together with their dialect than they do up in North Wales.
    Gwyneth

Blog

Cambridge in New Zealand (town of the trees)was Liverpool
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    same watching Maori tv, they are speaking Te Reo then an odd english word here and there. Did say reminds me of childhood memories spend in North Wales.
    SSF Team CJ 2008 target 52 los completed = 3 Mini books completed = 2

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    The same with French, for we English speakers franglais is speaking the best french you can inserting English words with a French accent when you are stuck.

For the French franglais is the seeping into the French language of English and American words and phrases, and large parts of the French are slightly annoyed about it.

iPod, bitchin' (i.e. cool), hoe (for whore), spangly and busted I have all heard in the middle of french sentences.