Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

magazine for someone starting out

hi

I have just started out cardmaking and i have really good book for techniques but i would like to get a magazine to hopefully get some ideas on how to use what i have learnt. There are so many though. which one is a good one for a beginner.

Thanks

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (27)
    To be honest with you I wouldn t waste my money on mags , there is plenty of inspiration on the boards and the whole internet, I would use the money to invest in basics wich you would still have to buy on top of the mags. Go to your local library and get cardmaking books (thres loads out there learn the tecniques decide what suplies you need depending on what appeals to your personal taste and take it from there. There are challenges on this forum get involved, follow the scketches and you will soon get totally and uterlly addicted
    MONICA GALE

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (65)
    i agree with monica. theres plenty of inspiration on the web. also go round local craft shop as they tend to have loads of cards on display.
    lesley there are quite a few shows in your area whare you can see people demoing and posibly have a go. the nec is in march and there are shows in doncaster and harrogate. where abouts are you in south yorkshire. my dad lives in doncaster and i'm sure i have some mags. pm me if you would like them
    thanks, donna

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    I agree there are lots of ideas on the internet, but you also don't always want to log on all the time, or want the pictures in front of you, I have Simply cards and papercraft and love it, it has loads of different ideas for cards and scrapbooking in it, also techniques.

You may even be able to pick up a few old copies to see what they are like, and also old copies still have good ideas in them! I may have a couple if you would like them, pm me your details and I will see what I can find for you, if you would like any, may also give idea what the magazine is like.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    'Cardmaking and Papercraft' is good for beginners as is 'Making Cards' and 'Quick Cards made Easy'. Making Cards always have papers free inside which is nice. Docrafts also do a magazine which can be bought in lots of craft shops and only £1.00 (also do a scrapbooking magazine too).

Often craft shops have reduced magazines which slightly out of date. I'm lucky to have a market stall near me which sells all sorts of magazines including UK and US craft mags for only £1. Charity shops often have them too, well worth having a look as they can be expensive especially if you are tempted by a few!

Lots of magazines have free gifts, maybe papers, stamps etc. If you go to the webpages of the magazines (google them), you can get an idea of what they do and usually download previous papers/templates/projects for free. Subscription offers are worth a look too, many have 3 for £1 offers at the moment.

You'll find you try one let move onto other ones as your skills grow. if you get into crafts in general 'Crafts beautiful' has projects for papercrafting/knitting/sewing/cakes..everything you can think of.

Doing things my own way angeljakki's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Agree with others save your money. Check out creat and craft on sky 661. Some of it is really basic and some of the cards they make are naff but if you look for any off the stampman sales they demonstrate techniques that will be useful. There are a couple of others but cannot think of them at the mo. Maybe others can add the okish ones.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    everyone on here is so helpful and so lovely. Thanks everyone.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    I do agree that there is so much inspiration on the internet but sometimes it is good to have something 'in front of you' on paper IYSWIM. Why not try a few of the above suggestions of mags and see how you get on. But yes, the web/blogs/this site are brill inspiration too
    My blogaroonie: Patsy's Little Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I agree that blogs are great but if you are just beginning the magazines can be invaluable for helping you with the basics My personal favourite is simply cards and papercraft. These days I think my card making has "evolved" so I now use blogs more concentrating on those ones that share a style I like