Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

KNK Software verses Funtime Software

Thanks for everyones help on previous post. I am now looking at forums to try and work out which software to go for. Would be interested in your views.
    Alot of money or I would go for the two!!

Thanks

Shirley

View Gallery

Well, I'm obviously very biased since I sell KNK Studio. You may have already read the following advantages of KNK Studio GE over Funtime, but I'll copy/paste it here anyhow in case other prospective buyers are interested in knowing:

(1) GE is designed specifically for the 8" Graphtec cutters so that images
    cut in the same locations on the mat as what you are used to seeing in your CR/WB/Silh software. They even made a change in this edition (compared to regular KNK Studio and also DM) whereby when you switch to a Landscape document in your main window, the cutting will also be landscape... just like you get with RoboMaster and it will cut in the same place, as well.

(2) GE uses the CR/WB/Silh controller, so when you get ready to cut, the
    same window you are used to seeing pops up and you can set your speed, pressure, search for reg marks, etc.

(3) GE will open .pdf files and this is especially powerful because there are quite a few vector pdf files available for free on the internet. The images in these vector pdf's are ready-to-cut!

(4) GE has three welding tools and the third tool makes it far easier to weld images or words to the inside of a frame. Also, the 3D shadowing in GE creates a complete shadow mat so you can layer your original over the 3D shadow. Funtime leaves you with bits and pieces. You can see samples of the various bells and whistles in GE by going to www.cutterworld.com and clicking on the free video to watch.

(5) GE comes with 3900 ready-to-cut images. I believe you get 200 with SS IF you buy it from The Scrappin' Path. I think there are 50 if you buy it on EBay or directly from Sign Max.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandymcc View Post
    (1) GE is designed specifically for the 8" Graphtec cutters so that images
    cut in the same locations on the mat as what you are used to seeing in your CR/WB/Silh software. They even made a change in this edition (compared to regular KNK Studio and also DM) whereby when you switch to a Landscape document in your main window, the cutting will also be landscape... just like you get with RoboMaster and it will cut in the same place, as well.
    That sold it for me - can't wait for mine to arrive now .... yuhoo Sandy, are you listening lol

View Gallery

I can't wait for you to get it, either.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks Sandy. It is working - I am getting drawn to the KNK.

Thanks,

Shirley

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

PDF in funtime

[QUOTE=sandymcc;4369820]

(3) GE will open .pdf files and this is especially powerful because there are quite a few vector pdf files available for free on the internet. The images in these vector pdf's are ready-to-cut!

QUOTE]

I read that PDF were supported by funtime...
    "15. Many common and uncommon formats supported: DXF, EPS, AI, WPC, JPG, BMP, PDF, WMF, EMF, MAC, TIF, GIF, PNG, WMF, WPG, SVG, RTF, PSP, PCX, PRN, PLT, VIP and many others "

What does it do than with PDF if it can not see the cutlines?

View Gallery

Funtime doesn't "read" vector pdf's as vector files whereas when GE opens a .pdf file that's been created from vector images, it DOES see them as vector paths and you don't have to re-trace anything.

Card maker/scrapper and sort of Photographer! elwoodsusanm's Avatar
    View Gallery

Am I to understand that if I design in KNK Studio GE that it does away with all the tracing and fiddling about required in Robomaster in order to cut?
    God must love stupid people-He made so many of them

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by elwoodsusanm View Post
    Am I to understand that if I design in KNK Studio GE that it does away with all the tracing and fiddling about required in Robomaster in order to cut?
    You need to trace or use files with vectorlines, but the cutting is not as complicated as in designmaster.
    Designmaster just has more options as it comes how you can cut. That needs to be learned. GE just uses the optical eye as does robomaster.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by sandymcc View Post
    Funtime doesn't "read" vector pdf's as vector files whereas when GE opens a .pdf file that's been created from vector images, it DOES see them as vector paths and you don't have to re-trace anything.
    OK, that means that GE can handle vectorPDF how we want it (nice, quick and easy) and Funtime can not. In funtime one needs to trace the imported PDF even when it is a vector PDF?
    I vote for GE!

View Gallery

rolling

Have you got GE? When you say it uses the optical eye, do you mean just like print and cut? Sorry to sound dim but I haven't seen any of this software in action or otherwise I don't want to purchase the wrong one.

View Gallery

rolling

Can anyone enlighten me on this please?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by elwoodsusanm View Post
    Have you got GE? When you say it uses the optical eye, do you mean just like print and cut? Sorry to sound dim but I haven't seen any of this software in action or otherwise I don't want to purchase the wrong one.
    No I do not own this software yet, because I got designmaster just before it came out. It was designed especially for plotters like craftrobo, silhouete and wishblade, the plotters with an optical eye. It uses the optical eye if it goes to print.
    Its like print and cut in robomaster, or just cut in robomaster. Some functions in Designmaster are like helping a blind person accross the street. You have to take the person by the hand and tell the person you are going to cross the street, where the footpath ends, 1 step down, and 1 step up on the other side to get on the footpath again, and walk a certain speed. In robo is just telling the person its green and safe to go if it walks a certain speed.

The rest of the software is like designmaster, and a bit more possibillities.
    More to learn than robomaster.

I think it depends on how much you want to invest in learning a new program.
    For me it would be simple if I had the choice of the two programs at the same time. It would have been GE, because it has more export possibillities.
    I am also learning illustrator, which is a enormous program.
    But as it is, I have now designmaster and going to have as much fun with it as I possibly can.

Funtime is another program, but does not have what my mind likes to be able to do. Some automated functions, but less possibillities also!

View Gallery

rolling

Thank you GE seems the 'way to go' up to now!

View Gallery

Email me privately if you like. I can answer any of other questions you have.