Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Craft Robo Addict
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I have the KNKStudioGE too and am delighted with it. It has so many advantages for me, and is very user friendly too.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I have KNK full version, DM and was one of the first on the Forum to find and try Inkscape in February 2006.
    I have no problems with any of these programs but that's a me thing - I read, experiment and have a thing about pressing buttons to see what they do .
    No program is easy it just depends on how determined you are to make it work - you need patience, time and a bit of logical thinking. Sometimes things go pear shaped - sometimes because they've gone pear shaped you find something new!
    the number of times we get people yelling for help - I can't do this or it won't work, I don't know how to etc is because they've either 1) not followed the instructions to the letter or 2) are trying to run before they can walk.
    For every program you mention there'll be those for and those against - those for whom it worked first time and those who still can't get it to do the simplest things- Inkscape is an excellent program and if you follow the basic tutorials it will teach you most of what you need to know; these ideas can then be taken into other programs as the theory is the same. From when we started two years ago the various techniques we developed have been refined and results have gone from minimal to mind blowing.
    So don't judge too much by the problems you see here - if you consider how many copies of DM Graphtec have sold they really are minimal.
    HTH
    Susibi

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    yes susibi i quite agree really there's lots who cant grasp inkscape and couldnt till you did you tutorial, and i for one was one of those people it took me ages, but thank god i can now,
    learning anew program for some is never easy but as you say time and patients and it will pay off

tina x

View Gallery

I never really got to grips with inkscape, but have got used to DM very quickly. Now i have found the tutorial on crafty club, i am flying. I had a few problems initially, but everyone on here have been so great and they are sorted now. Last night i managed to produce a star with wording welded around the edge, very pleased with the result and didn't take long.

sammy

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks everyone, I guess what is really puting me of with DM is the fact that you have hassle if you have to reinstall. I'll way it all up. Thanks again,

Shirley

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Quote Originally Posted by **Shirley** View Post
    I know there is another software called funtime and don't know if that is a better one or not.
    It's not supplied or supported by Graphtec so you would need to go elsewere for help and support if you buy this. But if you check back you'll find some people have bought it and are happy using it.

Quote Originally Posted by **Shirley** View Post
    I use inkscape at present. I would like to get into designing templates seriously.
    There's nothing to stop you doing "serious" designing in inkscape (Erika has used it for many of her popup templates), and in the basic Robomaster software - look at Jenniebean's templates for example! It's not the software, it's what you choose to do with it that counts: you can design beautiful templates with very simple, basic software if you set your mind to it.

But having said that, it's always best find something that you're happiest and most comfortable using. So sit down and compare the different software packages against what features you feel you need for the type of templates you want to create. Some may be better than others for certain functions, and so what is ideal for one person won't necessarily be so for another... And you may find you'll want or prefer to use different software for different types of templates.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

I'm just looking at the DM Manual and it says it can open .eps and PDF files.

Has anyone created a file in Inkscape, saved it as either an eps or pdf, and then opened it in DM without losing any of the design.

It's ok - just found my answer on page 59 of the DM manual
    had read that far down at the time I asked my question
    Last edited by NikiB; 07-01-2008 at 10:45 PM.
    Ramblings of a Robo Rebel

Forever Memories For You for all you Robo needs

[/FONT]3, That's the magic number. Yes it is, It's the magic number .

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks Rosemary. You have gave me a lot to think about.

Shirley

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by NikiB View Post
    I'm just looking at the DM Manual and it says it can open .eps and PDF files.

Has anyone created a file in Inkscape, saved it as either an eps or pdf, and then opened it in DM without losing any of the design.

It's ok - just found my answer on page 59 of the DM manual
    had read that far down at the time I asked my question
    I've done it quite a few times... use the eps choice and make sure you select the bounding box option. Also make sure your design is completely inside the document boundaries in Inkscape. When you import into DM, use the pdf import filter when asked. I think that's all you need to know. I cover this in the User Manual... Section 6.7 under converting from .SVG to .GRA.

View Gallery

I've been really pleased with DM. I'm a new user but have managed to make a few things using Sandy's manual and playing. It installed fine for me first time - no hassle at all. I'm really glad I bought it.

View Gallery

Just to add, mine installed first time no problems, Was worried that there might be a delay with the license files, as i did it at Christmas, but it came straight back.

sammy

Scrappy Carder
    View Gallery

I have found design master quite simple. I follow the manual to do basic stuff and click on buttons just to see what they do. But I have a very simple sort of brain. I did try to use Inkscape and it worked if I ticked off each step as I went but I couldn't really understand what I was doing. Could someone please explain what a "path" actually is? And "path-exclusion" ? I think that would help a lot.
    Thanks for your patience!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Imagine drawing a simple shape with a pencil - as you draw you are tracing a path. If you draw a circle you have a closed path . That's the basic idea.
    If you weld two shapes together all you are doing is creating one path out of two closed shapes ( if you draw a square then draw a circle over one side of the square then trace round the outline the final result is a welded shape ie an outline). The path exclusion technique is telling the software that those two shapes you have put one inside the other to form a frame should be treated as a single path.
    To get shapes to weld they both have to be in the same state ie both paths other wise it's like trying to mix oil and water.
    HTH
    Susibi

Scrappy Carder
    View Gallery

Thanks so much Susibi, that really does help. I will have another look at the tutorials with that in mind.

hugs.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    There should be an inkscape tutorial (under help in the software!) that also shows you illustrations of the results of different types of welds. Look at the advanced one - under the "boolean" section i think it is... They helped to clarify things for me!

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."