Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hi Phil, Thanks for a lovely birthday present!! If I pre-order will it arrive on the 8th complete with a big red ribbon and a birthday card

Looking forward to having a play with it soon.
    Susan.

Becoming a UKScrapper
    View Gallery

Sorry Phil and girls and boys but I don't understand this. Phil says that if I load the Design Master software onto my laptop (for instance) I will get a "security key" downloaded from Graphtec to that machine and will be able to run the programme. If I later download the the Design Master software to my pc, presumably the pc will receive a different "security key" with the software from Graphtec. I can understand that the downloading of the second "security key" could invalidate the first "security key" but if I don't go on line with my laptop, how can it possibly know that the first security key is invalidated? UNLESS......whichever machine I am using has to be on line to have its own security key validated on line by the Graphtec site???? In other words, once the Design Master solftware on a particular machine has it's "security key" can I continue to use the software on that machine without being on line? Confused, am I being thick or what???????
    Celia

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Celia Reed View Post
    Sorry Phil and girls and boys but I don't understand this. Phil says that if I load the Design Master software onto my laptop (for instance) I will get a "security key" downloaded from Graphtec to that machine and will be able to run the programme. If I later download the the Design Master software to my pc, presumably the pc will receive a different "security key" with the software from Graphtec. I can understand that the downloading of the second "security key" could invalidate the first "security key" but if I don't go on line with my laptop, how can it possibly know that the first security key is invalidated? UNLESS......whichever machine I am using has to be on line to have its own security key validated on line by the Graphtec site???? In other words, once the Design Master solftware on a particular machine has it's "security key" can I continue to use the software on that machine without being on line? Confused, am I being thick or what???????
    Celia

I understand you well enough Celia so don't worry. My main computer is connected to the Internet so I will presumably validate my software on that. However like you, I would more than likely copy my software onto a usb flash drive and put it on my laptop, however, my laptop is not connected to the Internet, so now the question is, how do I validate the software on that?

The reason my laptop is not connected to the Internet is that I want it to remain a 'clean' machine, in other words no bugs are gonna get on it in any way, shape or form, so now we have a problem. How do I validate my software on that?

My laptop is used 50% of the time for teaching so has to remain 'clean'. All updates are done at college with the technicians and then given back to me.

This security key is exactly the same as having a dongle, no dongle, no program = no good, can't use it. It's KNK all over again). I understand about the security key, but I aint about to pay twice for the same software, just so I can use it on MY 2 computers!!! I'm not going to be using the software on the 2 computers at the same time so I don't see a problem.

I'm not about to copy the program and give it to someone else either, I do have ethics plus the fact that I do have a good name and reputation which is more important to me than anything and something I would rather keep. As a college tutor I have to be police checked every 5 yrs and that bit of paper is very important to me, more important than copying any software.

I have MSOffice on my computer here, and I didn't pay for it, but because I work at the college and I prep at home I am allowed a copy from the college. That is the only software on my computer that is not my own, the rest is either bought or downloaded freely off the Internet. There is a lot of good open source software out there, but it can take a bit of finding, but well worth the trouble of doing so.

So Phil, what do Celia and I, and probably others here, do now?

Graphtec GB
    View Gallery

Do any of you have an ipod?, it is a bit like that. Your ipod can only be sync'd with one computer at a time. If you want to switch it to another it needs to be de registered from one machine before it is registered with the other.

It is exactly the same with Windows, I dont see anybody here shouting at Microsoft or Apple. When you purchase any piece of software you buy the right to use it on only one machine at a time. Of course you can switch machines but you need de register the old machine first.

I know most of you here are honest, but don't forget we are not only selling it to members of UK Scrappers. Its a big bad world out there and unfortunately there has to be some form of copy protection.

They license key was our cheapest option for protection. The only other option was to use a dongle, but this would have added considerably to the cost which I was trying to avoid. Also, as Lucy has already mentioned, dongles can be a pain if they are not always plugged into the same port or if they clash with other USB devices. The security key is much more reliable.

However I know there are always exceptions to every rule and some of you need to switch quickly between different machines or some don't have an internet connection. For these customers we have a limited number of dongles available.

Dont forget, you only need to be connected to the internet at time of registration, about 2 minutes. It doesn't need a constant connection

phil

Becoming a UKScrapper
    View Gallery

both my pc and laptop are connected to internet l can purchase other software and still install on 2 machines except probably microsoft so why is this going to be more complicated lf you already have robo software installed on 2 pcs surely the design ware for it should allow it to install alongside or am l missing something here

Graphtec GB
    View Gallery

Yes, you are missing something Betsy because I have already said we can provide you with a dongled version instead.

Just to be picky though, if you read the license agreement for your other software i think you will find it is only licensed to be run on any one machine.

All open source software which is normally free anyway can be run on any number of machines though

Phil

Graphtec GB
    View Gallery

Also, don't forget, people must check before buying that they are happy with our licensing agreement. We are not forcing anybody to buy this software.

It is just another option. RoboMaster which we supply free of charge is able to be run on as many computers as you like.

To get the price down to £37.95 there has to be some compromise

Phil

Becoming a UKScrapper
    View Gallery

sorry seems ur getting a bit annoyed here philk so will wait and see wont be jumping into the fire that quick l think and what price will it be for dongled version?

Graphtec GB
    View Gallery

No betsy, not annoyed at all, I am just trying to make sure everybody knows all of the details. Dongled version will be the same price.

Phil

I'm sure i could use that for something..... frogzone's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I understand the 'key' thing and I actually think its a good idea.... id we created our files and then somone started copying them and selling them we would not be too happy ! and lets face we all know that it can and does happen. So by suppeorting the use of the key we are ensuring companies still find it worthwhile to continue producing software and that it doesn't suddenly appear at a knock down price on e-bay ( no offence to e-bay users) but we all know it happens. The key will provide secure access to users and you will be able to load onto a secomnd machine .. providing you 'freeze' the first.
    To be honest i think it s a brilliant idea,because I for one get really P***** off when I pay for somthing and then other copy it give it away.
    Sorry end of Rant

I just have one question will this be available for macs?
    Lis

Becoming a UKScrapper
    View Gallery

thank you philk l see that the best option for me will be dongled one so l can put on both pcs l know im a pain oh would agree with you there

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Phil and the Team at Graphtec GB

Many thanks for all your efforts in providing what looks to be a superb addition to the CraftRobo at an affordable (and clearly subsidised price). It is so refreshing to see a firm respond in such a positive way to the many requests to enhance the software and useability of the machine.

You are absolutely right to add a level of protection. There are many out there (not the Forum members I hasten to add!) who will copy and have it on EBay overnight. I believe it is called theft.

If the real thing is as good as the preview suggests then I think that it is excellent value for money and, as you rightly say, if you do not want the software or agree to the license conditions then do not buy. It is as simple as that.

I will order as soon as possible and again thanks to you and the Team for listening and then acting and responding in such a positive way.

Sue

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hey Phil,
    Question for you. What will it cost to buy and ship to USA? (in dollars?) I'm dense when it comes to converting! thanks Bonnie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

hear hear! I agree with Sue - thanks to Philk and team and the reasonable price. I will be in the queue to buy as soon as it is available.

I only use a desktop machine and am happy therefore about the security code as I think it's a good idea especially if it keeps the cost down.

I think the price is very reasonable and can't wait to be able to order mine. I don't think I will ever be able to warrant the expense of a KNK as I only make cards for my own pleasure but this new software means I can have much more fun with my robo.

Thanks Phil for coming up trumps.

Janet