Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

oh well Fiskars circle cutter

I've bought a Fiskars circle cutter but can't use it. I can't read the instructions. I've tried inserting the blade with no success and can't set the measurements.

Any help would be appreciated.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)
    I've had mine a while, and believe they've released a new version so not sure how much help I can be.

As best I recall (not to hand ATM), to set the size I have to unscrew the large blue piece on the top and then slide the plastic arm that goes through the middle of the tool. This is where I stuggle, as it takes a fair squint to set to a specific measurement...... Then screw the blue piece back down without dislodging the arm.

Mine also has a 'plug' in the middle of bottom. If I remove that I have a point (like a compass) I can put into whatever I'm cutting in order to keep it still while cutting.

I actually find I have most success (and I don't dislike it now I've figured this out) by NOT using the point (which leaves holes in whatever I'm cutting), but by working on the floor and kneeling over it. This means I have more weight on the centre of the tool, which seems to be enough to keep it in place.

b4idy I will craft
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Tips for the Circle Cutter

Cutting Tips
    For added stability when cutting, it may help to create a bridge between the knob and the materials to be cut. To create the bridge, place your finger(s) on the control knob and your thumb on the materials or place your thumb on the control knob and your finger(s) on the materials.

DO NOT rotate cutter by grasping the cutting arm or place palm of hand on top of control knob, this will make the cutter off-balance and cause skips in your cut.

Before beginning a project, practice cutting on scrap paper. Use various paper weights to get a feel for how firmly you need to press. The Circle Cutter is very easy to use, but a little practice will give you the cleanest cuts.

Stand up while cutting. This centers you over the cutter and makes cutting easier.

When cutting circles smaller than the base, it may help to tape down the materials you are cutting.

If you are not getting a complete cut, apply more pressure to the cutter body as you rotate it.

Color the measurement arrow with permanent marker to make it more visible.

Use a Circle Cutter Guide to select the best size before cutting your paper or photo.

When trimming a circle within a circle, cut the largest circle first. Then position the circle cutter to make another circle inside.

Use the needle point for exact realignment when making multiple cuts from the same circle. Caution: Keep gripper foot on when needle point is not in use.

Don’t limit yourself to just a whole circle, try using a half or quarter for different effects.