Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

Sympathy card for hindu family

Good afternoon

My family's GP sadly died this week and I want to send his family a sympathy card, they are Hindu.

Does anyone know if there are any specific do's and don'ts

Also any suggestions for design would be appreciated.

TIA
    Corinne

So many photos, so little time USA2UK's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    This is from Wikipedia:
    Hinduism

Death is not seen as the final "end", but is seen as a turning point in the seemingly endless journey of the indestructible "atman" or the soul through innumerable bodies of animals and people. Hence Hinduism, prohibits excessive mourning or lamentation upon death, as this can hinder the easy passage of the departed soul towards its journey ahead.

Hindu mourning begins immediately after the cremation of the body and ends on the morning of the thirteenth day. Traditionally the body is cremated within 24 hours after death, however the cremations are not held after sunset and before sunrise. Immediately after the death an oil lamp is lit near the deceased and this lamp is kept burning for three days. Hinduism associates death with ritual impurity for the immediate blood family of the deceased, hence during these mourning days, the immediate blood family must not perform any religious ceremonies (except funerals), must not visit temples or other sacred places, must not serve the sages (holy men), must not give alms, must not read or recite from the sacred scriptures nor can they attend social functions like marriages, parties etc. Hence the family of the deceased is not expected to serve any visiting guests food or drink, and it is customary that the visiting guests do not eat or drink in the house where the death has occurred. The family in mourning are required to bathe twice a day, eat a single simple vegetarian meal and try to cope up with their loss. On the day on which the death has occurred, the family do not cook, hence usually close family and friends will provide food for the mourning family. White clothing (the colour of purity) is also the colour of mourning and many will wear white during the mourning period.

On the morning of the thirteenth day, a Shraddh ceremony is performed. The main ceremony involves a fire sacrifice, in which offerings are given to the ancestors and to gods, to ensure the deceased has a peaceful afterlife. Typically after the ceremony, the family cleans and washes all the idols in the family shrine and flowers, fruits, water and purified food is offered to the gods. Now the family is ready to break the period of mourning and return back to daily life.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Thanks for taking the time to reply

I'm sure i could use that for something..... frogzone's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    From what I understood from an old hindi friend, it would be more appropriate to send a condolence card, obviously without any religious symbols. Flowers are traditionaly only used for condolence, but i'm not sure if this is so stringent nowadays, nor am i sure if there is a particular flower that should be used.