Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Autistic Forecast for today: Scattered Brainstorms PurplyDragon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)

can certain fonts make robbie sick??

duh.. i posted a robbie question in community for some reason... but im just wondering if my problem could be the font im trying to print?? its lettering delights friends and he seems to have real problems with the swirly outline?? he just gets himself stuck and then gives up.... i hope hes not already really really sick, just managed to cut a fairly straight forward cloud shape but he took forever to do it even when set to speed 7....

the thought "im gonna pack him up and send him home" has actually briefly crossed my mind.. its not the software/creative side its the hardware side im terrified of...

any reassurances/kind words/hints are more than welcome at the minute

nikki
    Jealousy is when you count someone else's blessings instead of yours.

Cjs: Childhood Toys sent 14/07

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (43)
    nikki- no idea how to help but all i can say is keep at it. Switch him off for a couple of minutes and the pc and then back on again and then try to cut something easy
    Heather
    No more swaps, in fact if I ask to join a swap please say NO
    "Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    i dont know what that font looks like but it could be using to much memory.

whay dont you try the same word in something like vag, milan bold, amaze or what ever you have thats maybe not as fancy or intricate depending on what the problem is.

if you cut it in another font and all is ok then its most likely that font it doesnt like

Craftrobo amateur
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hi

I sometimes have this happen, particularly with scripty type fonts, I posted about this and someone suggested that soem of them may have too many nodes. This may be true, I sometimes experience this when using splines in Autocad, they can have hundreds of nodes.
    My robo sometimes just sits there going back and forthove a space of a couple of mm.

Some fonts are OK, I agree with stressed, try a simpler font and see what happens

Bill

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

If Cr is noisy and cuts in the same place could be a font with a lot of nodes. As he cuts from node to node if the space between nodes is very small he will stutter on the same spot for a bit then run out of memory and pass out!!. Try another font or try preparing your word in Inkscape first and doing a Path>Simplify to remove some of the nodes before you export as .dxf. This does change the shape of the font a little but it may be one way to use it another idea would be to prepare your word in PSP save as jpeg and do autotrace.Autotrace does cut even intricate outlines much faster.
    HTH
    Susibi

Autistic Forecast for today: Scattered Brainstorms PurplyDragon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    hi girls...

ok.. all is well in roboland again... susibi thanks for those pointers.. yes, this particular font had huge amounts of nodes even though i had put it through inkscape, i will go with the psp option for that one i think.. im just glad that robbie got those nasties out of his system he started to feel better...
    He chomped on a simple font and then agreed with some tags.. phew ive left mother's xmas present to last minute and was starting to panic major style...

thanks for all those bits of advice, will file for future reference
    Jealousy is when you count someone else's blessings instead of yours.

Cjs: Childhood Toys sent 14/07

Please take my credit card away!!!!!! Tosca's Avatar
    View Gallery

Don't worry, it happens sometimes. I was cutting a lacy frame the other day and Robo stopped in the middle. I just waited and he started again. Depends what mood he's in, but I'm used to it now.

Sorry for being blase, lol. It must be the thai and wine I've had tonight, lol. Seriously though, it does happen, just sit back until the memory catches up and away he'll go again.
    LORRAINE

I'm not a complete idiot.......some pieces are missing!