Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graphics Tablet

Kutter Krazy
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

Graphics Tablet

does anyone use a graphics tablet at all? i only use rm and inkscape for designing files and when asked what i wanted for chrissie was wondering if one of these would be any good.

any input is appreciated

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Are we talking about the stylus driven board for drawing... I have one (but not opened it yet). It looks good cos you can put piccies under the plastic to trace round.
    M

Kutter Krazy
    View Gallery

sounds good

i havent seen one in real life just in a catalogue...got me wondering

yours sounds good tho

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    watching this as I am interested in one as am sure it would be easier to edit photos with one
    Hugs Chris xx - target weight reached 06/12/2010
    MY BLOG Photobucket Album my photoblog

Happy Scrapper - Professional Thread Killer lesleyuk's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    I have one. Its good for intricate tracing in more that one layer. I did a paper piecing of my DD. It has three layers and that was much easier to trace with a graphics table.I just got a cheap one from Argos but it works great.

I used photoshop first made photo BW then posterised it which gives black, grey and white. then traced each layer I wanted in the cr software. I was delighted how well it turn out, I am planning on doing the boys too and framing them for my mum as a chrissy present.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lesleyuk; 06-12-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Please take my credit card away!!!!!! Tosca's Avatar
    View Gallery

I've been using a pen and tablet for a very long time. I wouldn't be without it. They are seriously brilliant and I would say Go for It.

They do take a little getting used to as it is completely different from using a mouse, but you could dispense with your mouse altogether if you wanted.

One thing I would advise is NOT to get a big one. The bigger your tablet, the further your arm has to travel and it's very uncomfortable. Wacom are the best and an A5 tablet with an A6 working surface is perfectly adequate. The small area will register to your full monitor size and you only need small hand movements to do your work.

I have a small Wacom and then went for a large Trust one from QVC. It is now back in its box and I've gone back to the Wacom.

Buy one and enjoy. You'll not regret it.
    LORRAINE

I'm not a complete idiot.......some pieces are missing!

Autistic Forecast for today: Scattered Brainstorms PurplyDragon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    i have the same wacom tosca has and love it... theyre great for doodling and tracing.. but i also use it to annotate/scribble on documents etc.
    Jealousy is when you count someone else's blessings instead of yours.

Cjs: Childhood Toys sent 14/07

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    I agree with Lorraine. I have used a graphics tablet for a long time and I wouldnt be without it. I cant even use a mouse now, its just too clumsy.

Wacom are the best in my opinion and there are some really good deals around at the moment
    Deb x
    My Blog
    Im a Prima Donna

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (28)
    Quote Originally Posted by lesleyuk
    I have one. Its good for intricate tracing in more that one layer. I did a paper piecing of my DD. It has three layers and that was much easier to trace with a graphics table.I just got a cheap one from Argos but it works great.

I used photoshop first made photo BW then posterised it which gives black, grey and white. then traced each layer I wanted in the cr software. I was delighted how well it turn out, I am planning on doing the boys too and framing them for my mum as a chrissy present.
    OOh, Lesley - if it's not too much of a cheek maybe I could arrange to come and see how you do stuff with a graphics tablet! Always on the look out for a pressie idea & although I think DH has got Xmas sorted this could be fab for my birthday in Feb.
    Hugs n stuff Kirsti xx Stash Diet: failing miserably!!

Happy Scrapper - Professional Thread Killer lesleyuk's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Sure Kirsti.
    I am at work all week but perhaps at the weekend sometime.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

rolling I am off out to buy one

Hi

I have rheumatoid arthritis and use a couple of different shaped mice (!) changing every few days to avoid discomfort in my hands.

After reading the above comments I will certainly now be buying a tablet.

So this is just to say I am extremely glad that this thread was posted. And all the advice means I can purchase one sooner rather than later.

Thanks ...... Sue

Please take my credit card away!!!!!! Tosca's Avatar
    View Gallery

Sue, this will be great for you. If you can use a pen then you can use one of these.

The pens come 'pressure sensitive' usually 512 pressures but up to over 1000 now on some tablets. This means that if you draw lightly, you get a nice fine line, you only have to press a little harder (and I mean little) and you get a thicker line. Also, you will not have to spread your hands across the mouse. I think it would be an excellent choice for you.

The pens are also nicely weighted, so are very comfortable to hold.
    LORRAINE

I'm not a complete idiot.......some pieces are missing!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Nic
    Hi

I have rheumatoid arthritis and use a couple of different shaped mice (!) changing every few days to avoid discomfort in my hands.

Thanks ...... Sue
    Sue I have ME and have problems with my hands and I find using a mouse quite painful with prolonged use but I have no problems at all using a tablet and pen
    Deb x
    My Blog
    Im a Prima Donna

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I'm another one who's been using a tablet for many years. I got my first Wacom originally for using with cross stitch software, but went on to use it for everything. I had trouble with some of the so called ergonimically shaped mice as I'm left handed - I found them extremely uncomfortable to use. The pen is much more comfortable for me, and it helps if you are prone to RSI too. Both mine have had the larger A5 work areas, but I had the smaller (A6) Graphire at work and was quite happy with that size too. We started buying them for other staff who wanted or needed to use a tablet as well, and most people loved them, but they can take a while to get used to...

When I got my first tablet, a lot of them were very temperamental, Wacom was the most reliable (and expensive!!) brand, but I think they've all vastlly improved since then!

Rosemary

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

i bought a wacom graphics tablet in the summer because i also have problems with my hands minor ones from time to time.

but i have to say i dont use it i just could not get used to it at all i did try so much so that i completely removed my mouse so i had to use it i tried for about a month but in the end brought back the mouse.

so it just sits here all lonely doing nothing except gathering dust.

so i suppose its personal choice