Driving across america

by scrapdolly

Dec week 1

by sharon1973

Wigwam motel

by scrapdolly

So Pretty

by Mary Buttons

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping > The Library

Notices

Graphtec UK banner

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

UKS History - Confused & Curious...

Just saw a post by Simon that said he was in the US and that got me to thinking...I have no idea how this wonderful board is set up?!?!

Who runs it? Is that Scraptastic? Or is it run by just lovely people who volunteer? And who is paying for the Bandwidth? Who are Smax, Stu, and Simon? Who are volunteers and who are actually getting paid to be on here and help us? Or is anyone getting paid? What about the moderators? Where do MaryAnne and Jane fit in?

I am just wondering how this all works...

Lily, you are organized...do you have a flowchart that shows the structure here???

Thinking and avoiding housework in Suffolk,
    Smiles! Christi

Dedicated Scrapper Lily_My_Lovely's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (50)
    LOL Christi.... no organizational chart as yet!

Bevs97 told me the story of the board at Bonanza.... its a lovely story too. And I'm sure she'll fill you in very shortly.

My precious little Girl - 2004 lisa-anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    Please do share the story Bev - I'd love to know how it all began etc too!

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    I had planned a UKScrappers History to post during the CyberCrop, but other things got on the way. Here is what I had collected, which may illuminate you on how it all began:

Bev:

When Stu offered us the forum, I asked the Yahoo Group if they wanted it, and the consensus was that we should remain independent of theDibb, so we started this little forum for about 70 members! I can't remember what I initially purchased in terms of bandwidth etc, but it only lasted us about 3 weeks and then we had to upgrade it.

i've just had to upgrade it again yesterday, whatever level I think should cover us for a long time, seems to last about a month or two and then we have to expand again!

We started on a bandwidth deal that was going to cost us $70 a year, we are now paying $60 a month... I can't remember the original limits, but we did some calculations based on posts on the Yahoo board and thought it would be plenty!

What I can't remember, and would really like to know, is exactly when we started the first UKScrappers board on the Invision software. I think it was early October, as we went to Majorca during half-term and it was already up and running (cause I was logging on from the lobby everytime we walked past the pc...)

It looks like we opened to the public on the 10 October 2002, there are a few odd people registered before that (fred and Wilma) who are test people, but Sam Fiona, Jane all registered on the 10th, loads more on the 12th, so one of them must be our official opening date, probably the 12th, I would guess Sam, Fiona and Jane were testing things out on the 10th.

I am pretty sure the first paid ads went up for 1st Jan, although we had some free links to Scraptastic, Artbase and Scrapmagic (and maybe scrapbookhouse) prior to that. Originally meant just as a service to the members rather than for revenue.

New Members

October 01st, 2002 1
    October 09th, 2002 2
    October 10th, 2002 2

October 12th, 2002 25
    October 13th, 2002 15
    October 14th, 2002 18
    October 15th, 2002 5
    October 17th, 2002 5

October 18th, 2002 1
    October 19th, 2002 2
    October 20th, 2002 1
    October 21st, 2002 3
    October 22nd, 2002 2
    October 23rd, 2002 1
    October 26th, 2002 2
    October 27th, 2002 1
    October 28th, 2002 2
    October 29th, 2002 26
    October 30th, 2002 12

In the bold week, that's 68 members. I think Oct 29th is probably when Mark sent an email to his customers and we got another influx

Sam:

How it all started for me.

I picked up a Scrapbook when on holiday at Disney in March 2000 & when I go home I did a search on yahoo for Scrapbooking groups in the UK & discovered a very quiet UKScrappers yahoo group.
    Gradually that group increased in members & I managed to get to a Scraptastic crop when I was heavily pregnant in 2001 where I met Jane & Cheryl & of course Mark & Shim. The yahoo group was very annoying though because of the high volume of mail that started to come through as it got busier & the amount of advertisements that came through in the group e-mail. The list was also primarily a CM board & there was a lot of friction between the CM scrappers & the rest of us.
    So when Bev suggested that we set up a new board & asked if anyone would like to help I offered to become as mod.
    As far as I can remember the majority of the yahooers decided to join us here & I think we started off with a membership number of about 150-200 can't remember the exact figure.
    And my just look how we have grown. Fast approaching 2000 members now & a lifeline to many scrappers who can't get to crops etc or are just starting out.

SMAX:

Way before it all started, I was reviewing Bevs scrapbooking page on the Dibb, checking out the link to a yahoo scrappers site. I tried to join but was turned down by some strange pedantic woman who thought i must be a pervert because i was male

After many PM's to Bev she finally got me accepted so i could see what it was all about.

Thought the whole site was very poor. I spoke to Stu about it, and thought we could offer the scrappers a forum on the dibb. But it was decided that Bev would setup her own board with our help, to keep it seperate. Thus UKScrappers was born.

I remember the very hostile reaction on the Yahoo group about it, but i think the volume of support for this site speaks for itself.

Although i have only been admin since the change to our server, i have been working on the setup and problem solving from day 1.

Thats my version

Regards
    Simon

Stu:

As simon says we offered the yahoo group a forum on theDIBB. They were afraid of being swallowed up into a Disney site, so I set up a test site for people to view. That went down well and Bev decided to purchase her own web space and Domain and we setup some free forum software (Invision Board).
    Once the forums grew there were requests for some way of storing layouts, so a free gallery software was introduced.

Membership grew even with the various wrangles with the Yahoo scrappers group. As membership grew, sponsors came on board and with the money raised by sponsors, better forum and gallery software was purchased and installed.

As the site still continued to grow some communication problems were encountered with the hosting company. Hosting was changed to www.x3hosting.com and this is where scrappers is currently at. Still growing!!

Also in the History dont forget the Design a Logo competition and who designed it.

Mary Anne:

Was it a competition?! I didn't remember that! I do remember that Bev didn't like any of the ones anyone suggested at first (including her own, I think!) but said "You know -- something like ScrapJazz's -- I like that" and that was where it began. I did the design, Stu made it pretty and we were away....

I also recall that the old mod of UKS on Yahoo had disappeared and Jane had effectively moderated the board for a year, and it was only when Jane emailed her and said "I'm Off -- back to you as Mod" that she even bothered to check out the group to find us all gone. And I know she made it a CM group again after we left. And then I think it died. It went from 700 posts a month to 30 or something.

Yes, I was away at the time -- where? Sweden maybe, on Holiday, and joined as soon as I got back. Then I began working to create the Library ass a resource for us all and became a Moderator not to long after. I became an administrator to help Bev get the boards moved from the old inVision board to the new, improved vB board in March (?) 2002.

can anyone else think of anything of interest? we need a history stored someplace and I'd like to be complete and accurate if possible!

Fiona:

Isn't it staggering how the train of events have been forgotten/merged in our brains already!! All I know was that I tested as Wilma, after joining the Yahoo boards at Bev's suggestion several months before, I much preffered 2 Peas and ScrapJazz at that point as I can't stand Yahoo.

It was November, when the shop on the corner was available to rent 100yds from home and school, that we went for a walk for the dog walk and knew I had to make a decision as to go for the shop/website. I was worried that people would think I'd engineered my modship to suit my plans, when there were no plans when the boards went live in October!!

i also remember MaryAnne made a prediction of 1 000 members and was waaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out!! months and months out, and she was going to eat her hat?!

Mary Anne:

And tasy it was....

Having a Scrappy Little Xmas scrappybunny's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (30)
    what a great post MaryAnne, its fab to read everyones different stories, most def one for the library i think
    http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3...ee0a33dxp7.gif I'm a meerkat!

EVIL MEAN BUNNIES are BACK!!!!!!!
    CyberCrops Rock!
    having a Scrappy Little clearout!
    UKS Kids Swaps: next due : July
    Kids forum: making June a scrapping scorcher!
    New Kids: access updated

*** please note: updates usually carried out ONCE a week only ***

View Gallery

Wow! No wonder I was confused! It sounds like there was a LOT involved in getting it going and keeping it going!!! Well, all I can say is that I am soooo glad it is here! And a HUGE THANK YOU to ALL who make it possible!
    Smiles,
    Christi
    PS...Thank you, MaryAnne for posting and compiling all of that!

Loving Life on UKScrappers BevS97's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    ps: Stu, Smax and one other run the host server and we pay for that, but other than that, noone gets paid, and Stu and Smax help us above and beyond the call of duty, our previous server company just collected the money!

Bev

Loving Life on UKScrappers BevS97's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    Who runs it?

me, maryanne, the mods and stu and smax. no one was recruited, everyone us a volunteer

Is that Scraptastic?

scraptastic is a sponsor who have told lots of people where we are

Or is it run by just lovely people who volunteer?
    yes

And who is paying for the Bandwidth?
    the sponsors

Who are Smax, Stu, and Simon?
    smax & stu, see previous post, simon runs scrapmagics website

Who are volunteers and who are actually getting paid to be on here and help us? Or is anyone getting paid?
    see previous post

What about the moderators?
    all lovely volunteers

Where do MaryAnne and Jane fit in?
    MaryAnne helps me with the admin stuff and deals with all the sponsors cause I hate that kindf of thing
    Jane us a mod, and of course, our queen! she was also a mod on our old yahoo group

any more questions?

bev

SMAX
    Another bit of confusion is that my User Name is SMAX but my name is Simon.

And no I dont get paid for helping out here I just do it for

SMAX
    turned down by some strange pedantic woman
    Oh and yes I did really call Jane Dean that

But if she didn't do that then UKS might have never been born as we know it. We are best of friends now though (grovel, grovel your highness )

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    Just to clarify, the sponsors pay for the bandwidth indirectly. We ask them to pay a sponsorship fee, and that money goes into a fund to pay for things like the Bandwidth charges (ever escalating!) and the PhotoPost software, and the upgrade to vB that let us integrate the gallery (rather than the old free inVision software that only allowed them as separate entities).

We also bought the UKscrappers pins with the funds and offered them at the bargin price of £1 to members.

Our goal is for the board to remain free to members -- but not to have to pay anything out of pocket for Bev, me, and the Mods! At the rate we seem to be growing, we hope that we will never need more than what sponsorship money we can raise. So if we seem to bang on about bandwidth, avatar size, excessive signature lines, or huge layout file sizes, now you know WHY!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (35)
    Don't worry Simon - I wont send you to the tower just yet! I think fixing Doris's crown has pardoned you!

Unfortunately you tried to join after we had a couple of weeks where a lot of undesirable men had tried to join our old group, can anyone remember those names which were all gobbledegook? I had a couple of men who joined and their yahoo profiles showed membership of some very dodgy groups. How was I to know you were quite normal (most of the time)?

I remember those awful ads we had to endure at Yahoo, can you remember the Thomas Kinkade green train and the Jesus statue?

SMAX
    Originally posted by Jane
    How was I to know you were quite normal (most of the time)?
    Thats nice of you Jane. I am normal most of the time, but absolutely fantastic the rest of it

"Not a morning person" doesn't even BEGIN to cover it... Jenrigg's Avatar
    View Gallery

This is a brilliant thread! I am SO pleased that you are here and all so lovely and helpful and interesting and fun and I'm drooling now LOL
    Keep up the good work

SMAX
    Originally posted by Jen&Claire
    and I'm drooling now LOL
    Keep up the good work
    WOW I am better than I thought

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast