Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by SheilaG View Post
    I opened it in Microsoft Picture editor
    I have MS Picture editor but am not able to open any GSD files with it - are there different versions of the software does anyone know

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Robo templates are vector files, a series of lines and curves that make up your shape. Ordinary images (e.g.photos) are bitmaps and are made up of coloured dots (pixels). Some software can only handle one type and not the other - so a paint type program will not necessarily know how to handle or display a vector image. It's sadly not just a matter of using any graphics software to open and save the different types of files.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Illustrator help

I am using Adobe Illustrator also (I am a graphic designer who has used Illustrator before -- I have to admit that the reason why I bought the robo was because I found out it had an Illustrator plug-in -- the possibilities are truly amazing and almost limitless!) and, I too, have found very little in the documentation on how to use Illustrator with the Robo.

I have been gleaning tips from the web, but this particular thread has been very helpful for me -- thanks to all who have contributed so far!

To begin to store the nuggets of information in a more permanent location, I have started a wiki. The section about Illustrator is here: craftrobocutter.wetpaint.com/page/Using+Illustrator (just copy/paste this url into your browser address bar -- there is no "www"). I REALLY hope that you all will want to visit to look at the information so far and, more importantly, to contribute! The wiki does not take the place of this forum, for us to chat with each other, but it does provide a place for us to store the information that we have gleaned in a more structured, permanent place.

If you need help with Illustrator, in particular, I can probably assist you -- I'm a lot more familiar with this program than I am with the robo. A wonderful place to get help in learning how to use this incredibly powerful tool is the Adobe website -- there are some great video tutorials, select Illustrator from this list: adobe.com/de/designcenter/video_workshop/ (to get around the url restriction, I am not putting in the "www" part of the url...)

Good luck!

Card maker/scrapper and sort of Photographer! elwoodsusanm's Avatar
    View Gallery

rolling

Do you not need to outline for cutting when using Illustrator?
    God must love stupid people-He made so many of them

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mollylee View Post
    I am using Adobe Illustrator also (I am a graphic designer who has used Illustrator before -- I have to admit that the reason why I bought the robo was because I found out it had an Illustrator plug-in -- the possibilities are truly amazing and almost limitless!) and, I too, have found very little in the documentation on how to use Illustrator with the Robo.

I have been gleaning tips from the web, but this particular thread has been very helpful for me -- thanks to all who have contributed so far!

To begin to store the nuggets of information in a more permanent location, I have started a wiki. The section about Illustrator is here: craftrobocutter.wetpaint.com/page/Using+Illustrator (just copy/paste this url into your browser address bar -- there is no "www"). I REALLY hope that you all will want to visit to look at the information so far and, more importantly, to contribute! The wiki does not take the place of this forum, for us to chat with each other, but it does provide a place for us to store the information that we have gleaned in a more structured, permanent place.

If you need help with Illustrator, in particular, I can probably assist you -- I'm a lot more familiar with this program than I am with the robo. A wonderful place to get help in learning how to use this incredibly powerful tool is the Adobe website -- there are some great video tutorials, select Illustrator from this list: adobe.com/de/designcenter/video_workshop/ (to get around the url restriction, I am not putting in the "www" part of the url...)

Good luck!
    Mollylee thanx for the link, I found what I needed immediately, I'm also a graphic designer working with illustrator so I need I might be using your help!
    - Ana de Roux

the world is so full of a number of things... Jennywren47's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Thank you so much Molly! There is so little info for Illustrator users. I have had a look at the link and will register on Wetpaint when I have a few mins. I too was a graphic designer in a former life. Can I ask, do any of you use a Mac?

Jenny

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Tim did some some Illustrator tutorials a while back, if they're not (all) in our tutorials section they'll be on his website. They were written for the Pro but AFAIK they'll work with both models.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I'm so glad

Quote Originally Posted by Jennywren47 View Post
    Thank you so much Molly! There is so little info for Illustrator users. I have had a look at the link and will register on Wetpaint when I have a few mins. I too was a graphic designer in a former life. Can I ask, do any of you use a Mac?

Jenny
    GREAT! I'm so glad that it is proving useful already! Please feel free to email me directly if you have any questions -- I don't promise to have the answers, but I bet that it will be a lot less frustrating having two people try to figure things out than having just the one tearing her hair out (like me on many a late and horribly frustrating night!)!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Pc

Quote Originally Posted by Jennywren47 View Post

Jenny

Jenny, I'm on a PC, but I think that the interface is the same for Illustrator (isn't it?) -- the only difference is that you can't use the proprietary software to design with, but if you have Illustrator, you likely will never need to -- it's a lot more powerful....

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Illustrator Outlines

Quote Originally Posted by elwoodsusanm View Post
    Do you not need to outline for cutting when using Illustrator?
    Actually, you still have to specify lines that you want to cut, but generally, I'm designing the piece in Illustrator anyway, so it is very simple to simply select the right line I've used in the design of my project and make a copy of it so that the robo will cut on that line.

Illustrator also has a very wonderful Livetrace feature that you can use to trace photos or whatnot.... it's an absolutely amazing piece of software, but it does require some dedication to learn initially....

Please do pm me if you have any questions (anyone, I mean).... I LOVE that there is a community out there of people to help each other!