Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Still hopelessly addicted to stash after all these years ProudWickedFan's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    Actually Finkycake is completely right, I've worked incredibly hard to become a portrait photographer and when I read that the requirements to be a photographer for venture are customer service and sales with no previous photographic experience neccessary. It makes me kind of mad, especially when I hear the prices they charge for an 8x10, it's got to be atleast 500% higher than me! Oh and they pay their staff photographers just over £12,000 a year, hardly a lot for a profession reliant on training and talent
    My Blog
    xxMandyxx

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    Another first post putting Venture down? How very odd.

And regardless of the opinions of many, NOT every local photographer has a huge studio that can handle the types of shot Venture are so good at, or groups of 17 or so, as we presented them with. We've had several shoots and bought pictures/albums every time. No hard sell: the photos sold themselves.

As far as them only employing people with no photographic experience: I know that's not necessarily true.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Another first post putting Venture down? How very odd.
    I thought that too - two new posters resurrecting a dormant thread to have a go at Venture? More than a coincidence, perhaps. I wonder if there is a photography forum somewhere which is pointing members in this direction.
    Eileen

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

sad

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen C View Post
    I thought that too - two new posters resurrecting a dormant thread to have a go at Venture? More than a coincidence, perhaps. I wonder if there is a photography forum somewhere which is pointing members in this direction.
    I'm afraid it <i>is</i> a coincidence. I just joined this forum because I'm a photographer and like the odd bit of scrapbooking and want to get into it more seriously as it will be helpful for my business and it's fun!

This thread caught my eye as I was trawling through the forum because I've been doing a bit of research on Venture. I thought I was doing people a favour letting them know my knowledge!
    I certainly don't want to start an argument with those of you who have had positive experiences with Venture. I just want to put in my bit from a small photography business's point of view (as I'm entitled to) and the facts that I know.

Oh and something I forgot to put in my original "rant" Venture photographers are generally only paid just over minimum wage so as I've already said, you're not paying for talent.

I WILL complete more than one layout this month............ nikkimitch's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    welcome to ukscrappers finkycake - love the name - we recently had this thread come to light again with a new poster - she ranted about venture but never joined anywhere else and it was perceived as a bit odd. I havent used venture but have seen some of their work - for me it is all getting a bit samey and already 'done' - I am venturing () into photography on a very minor friends and family scale so far and have a modest home studio but have now decided I prefer on location shoots to the white background look.

I know lots of people who have used venture and been thrilled with the results, I also know many who have been horrified at the prices and the hard sell, I dont know anyone who works for them so to have some idea of this persepective is useful.

as I said at the beginning welcome to uks - keep posting it is a really friendly and useful place to be for photogrpahy and scrapbooking
    Nikki
    My Blog

Funny HA HA, Not Funny Peculiar! madhattermillie's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (27)
    i have never used venture, but i like them! the pics are fresh and funky, In fact i used to work in a nationwide studio that aspired to have pics like ventures!!

As for 'putting on the hard sell' What else is to be expected! they are there to sell, and the prices are very much available if you ask beforehand!

And i dont know about other areas, but here, the local venture manager only hires people he thinks can deal with the job - usually those who have had training and experience elsewhere! All ventures are franchises, so no two are the same, they have a business model to work to but they all have their own little quirks and differences.

now after defending them i have to say i do find the prices hugely inflated, and i probably wouldnt use them myself - but thats not to say they dont do a good job!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Welcome, finkycake! I wasn't trying to get at you in any way, it's just that we had recently had an 'out of the blue' post here from someone who has never posted anywhere else, so it did seem a bit odd. I think Venture did something positive, in raising people's expectations from the 'sitting on a sofa in front of a fluffy backdrop' sort of pictures, and I think from a business point of view they have managed to capitalise on that very well - well that's what they are there for. I loved my Venture pics, but would now look at finding an independent photographer. That would be if I could persuade teenage DS to have his photo taken at all. And if you could actually see his face under his long hair ...
    Eileen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    I had ours done at a local photographers but they were the same price as Venture. Our daughter paid the £25 deposit and I put money given to me by family for our silver wedding. We had two large ones framed but we all love them and was well worth the money.

They are precious moments in time that can never ever be repeated and whilst I balked at paying at first have no regrets at all.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen C View Post
    Welcome, finkycake! I wasn't trying to get at you in any way, it's just that we had recently had an 'out of the blue' post here from someone who has never posted anywhere else, so it did seem a bit odd. I think Venture did something positive, in raising people's expectations from the 'sitting on a sofa in front of a fluffy backdrop' sort of pictures, and I think from a business point of view they have managed to capitalise on that very well - well that's what they are there for. I loved my Venture pics, but would now look at finding an independent photographer. That would be if I could persuade teenage DS to have his photo taken at all. And if you could actually see his face under his long hair ...
    No probs Eileen, I missed that other person's comment about Venture - but I realise I may have come across a bit strong! I suppose it all depends on the person, for me they are just too pricey and I'm not keen on big companies that whack out similar stuff but they do suit certain people's needs, especially in areas where there are no photographers/very pricey ones!

Glad I'm not the only one having trouble photographing a teenager with long hair! A friend of mine has recently asked me to do a family portrait including his 15 year-old son! Any advice?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    Last year i bought the £25 family voucher from venture...##then i got home and read the small print, they would only accept voucher mon to fri and the whole family had to be there, OH included........i rang them and cancelled, and went in to get money back. they expected him to take the day of work for a 30 min photo session, but didnt say that he had to be there until i tried to ring and book it.

Took then 30 mins of trying to talk me into getting the pictures done before i asked to see the manager. and got my money back!
    left UKS

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I just wanted to say that I'm a photographer at Venture, and had to beat 40 other applicants for the position of trainee photographer 2 years ago. My degree was in graphic design, which was heavily photographically based - and i had done 2 years of photography at college previous to that. So, my photographic education, coupled with my portfolio which I showed at my interview (including images from various freelance jobs i had undertaken) all resulted in my being offered the trainee position. From there I assisted the senior photographer in the studio for one year before I shot any sessions on my own. I would like to stress that a venture photographer cannot shoot a session solo until they have passed Stage One of the Venture Diploma, having proven a very high level of technical and creative ability. From then, the training is ongoing, and we go through a Venture diploma of another year where we learn to really push creative boundaries and produce innovative images - check out the website and you'll see that many shots are more like graphic design than traditional photography. I liken it to a hairdressers like Toni&Guy - you go there because you know the training is excellent, you are safe in the knowledge that you stylist knows their stuff, and can interpret your vision creatively yet always in a way that suits you personally - and you know the price reflects this expertise. Our photography team is incredibly talented, hard working and friendly - we care about our customers and want them to have a great time. I want people to have great memories from their session, and their image to be a memento of that. We don't need to hard sell and never would as it would spoil our customers' experience, and its just not necessary. We are certainly not encouraged to hard sell. I'm a photographer, not a salesperson and I'm there at viewings to help people choose their favourite images and help them choose from our array of styles of presentation - if a customer doesn't want to go beyond the image included in the offer, then that's completely their choice and fine by me. Many people have left saying how relieved they were that they weren't hit with a hard sell, and how much they have enjoyed both the session and the viewing.

I'm sorry this is such a long post, but I felt the need to let you know my side of the story. Serendipity for me that i was directed to this forum (I had googled pixifoto!), as I had planned to start collaging and sketching again as a new year's resolution and not yet got round to it.... I think someone's trying to give me a nudge! I look forward to being inspired by your site - the work i've seen looks amazing.
    best wishes
    shineymonkey x