Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (18)
    Quote Originally Posted by BevS97
    you aren't paying £75 for a 5x7 print, you are paying for the talent of the photographer who took the photograph. The alternative would be to pay a huge sitting fee for the photographers time and then a lower per print price.

If you know Tara Whitney (american scrapbooker), she charges $800 just to take the photographs, then I think you get a disk and get your own prints. You are paying for TALENT not prints.

Thats really not true . I have a very good award winning photographer near me who I use for special photos . I have some really great ones of my kids and for a fraction of the price venture charge . so my point is it really may be worth getting recomendations before embarking on sitting with venture

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    If you know Tara Whitney (american scrapbooker), she charges $800 just to take the photographs, then I think you get a disk and get your own prints. You are paying for TALENT not prints.
    That's exactly it - you get a disk and your own prints...of every photo she's taken. You don't pay her, then pay again for the prints!
    I think it's worth shopping around - there are plenty of independent photographers with bucketloads of talent that won't charge you the crazy prices somewhere like Venture does.

Loving Life on UKScrappers BevS97's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    I don't disagree with shopping around, but to expect a professional photographer to charge the same for a print as Boots (which is what the opening post says) is unrealistic. You either pay for the photographers time (ala Tara Whitney), or the photographer 'risks' his/her time on the hope that you will buy the photographs later.

I would agree that Venture are expensive even compared to other professionals - it's the 'name' & advertising you are paying for as well.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (35)
    Another vote for CJ here - heck - she even made me look presentable! She's got a new system so you can view all your shots in a slideshow at home to give you loads of time to choose what you want to buy - there's a bit about it on her blogHERE

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)
    I have professional portraits of the first 5 birthdays for all three of my children. These were taken by a local (to us when they were taken) photographer who had won many Kodak awards, and has since won many, many more. The last set we have were taken in July 1996, and we paid around £300 for a framed 8x10 and a 'leather' bound album of 10 4x5s.... so that gives some idea of how much we've spent with him between 1984 and 1996 -- even without adding in the cost of a family portrait (part of a prize, but bought extras) and our Wedding album!!! Have to say I think they were (and still are) worth every single penny we paid, as my photography back then was pretty grotty with a standard cheap 35mm camera -- and there is no way you can turn the clock back to those times to try again

The biggest surprise we got was with our wedding pictures in 1992. When we made the booking I had assumed it would be him taking the pictures -- which it was. But when we went for the previews his 'junior' (who he originally took on as as part of the YTS scheme for those of you who remember it!) told us that you normally pay an extra £1000 (!) for the 'main man' to do wedding photos -- and travel expenses/time on top of that Suffice to say it means we effectively received what amounted to almost a 50% discount off the pictures for that big day

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    Just seen pics taken at Olan Mills of friends dd and they are fabulous and not to expensive either.Had my childrens pics taken there in the past and was pleased but they seem even better now.
    JUst booked a session with Kirsty Wiseman for my ds to have his pic taken.Check out her site www.kapturedbykirsty.com
    julie x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (89)

Artistic?

Hi,
    Had photos done...only got the the cheap voucher one..As for artistic I could think of a few other words....The photographer was a creep..the whole thing was embarassing..........mind you they did airbrush out the wrinkles!!!!!!!!

He's here! My little Tim! Tracy Pearman's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    Bev where can I find your photography tutorial please?
    I've signed the contract. Membership number 206

Girl with a mission to SHOP..... joolsmicra's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    have had venture for my surly teenagers, and love the photos.........they were most definatly a one off tho', and the photographer was lovely, no hard sell, just greed!(from me, I might add!). Having said that, have seen a very similar set of prints from Olan Mills recently, but when my friend went, she said that they were more geared up to small children or adults , and made her 11yr oldchildren cringe treating them like babies, and also made her 13 yr old look like an extra from Dallas!
    Next time will shop around, not becuase I was unhappy with what we got, just because I want a different 'style'.............(however may get the prom phots done there just for the fun factor!)

I'll lend you my shoulders all your life... SueC's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (46)
    I had a Venture session with me, my Mum and my DD and I went in knowing it was going to be expensive. Due to technical problems we had to go back both for the actual photo shoot and then again for the viewing so I got another free piccy but I still bought a further 3 and could have bought 10 more on top if I had the money. however, there was no hard sell and it was all very much if you don't want any others than you free ones that's fine with us. One of the photos of me and DD is my favourite ever and I hate having my photo taken and displayed but it is up on our wall.

"Oh, it's nice to get up in the mornin',But it's nicer to lie in bed." Smile's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by traceyjohnson
    ( spesh afetr BEV posted how to get a venture -like shot with a black sheet and persevereance)
    Where can I find that?

Smile

View Gallery

I agree with Bev. I LOVE venture style shots- lets face it they were the only ones in the uk doing that kind of relaxed shot for a long time that was accessible to everyone. I have been using Olan Mills, they did my portfolio years ago which I was pleased with and I bought another package a year ago. Venture have always been really good about slightly 'madder' sittings- they had no problem what so ever with my idea of having a shoot done of me and the parrot. ( they had just done a fantastic sitting with a snake!) sadly though I had just booked the olan mills year long package.
    I will say though Olan Mills are way better now than they used to be. Booked for me and parrot (first sitting is in my gallery) and I told THEM what I wanted. Second sitting was even better- we had a different photographer who was very relaxed about simba flying about- and captured the perfect shot- simba sat on my head looking down at me- and me looking up at him It is typical of our days together and I was over the moon- the guy really wanted to capture that which is what I loved- he caught the mood brilliantly- if I get time tomorrow I will add some pics for you to see Got another sitting in about two weeks, and I get a free upgrade as it is our last one- so I get a whopper of a pic!
    It really is worth doing, just be sure to tell them what kind of pics you want and they WILL oblige

Dedicated Scrapper princessmowgli's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (43)
    I too love Venture but could never afford their prices. Knowing someone who went to them & spent an absolute fortune, she could afford it I know I'd never be satisfied with my budget but would adore that opportunity.
    8 years ago I tried to get Olan Mills to do something similar to Venture but the photographer was hopeless so all my preparation was a watse of time, glad to hear they have improved though.

Having the disc to print your own is a fantastic idea offering much more flexibility to the customer I think. I have browsed both Cheryl & Kirstys' photography sites & think they are super & I'm betting much more reasonably priced.

Now who lives close to Gloucester !

Sonia

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (19)
    Another vote for Kirsty here - she has taken some beautiful shots of my girls, and of Ed and I - a feat in itself - one of the shots of the girls is in the gallery on her site - the colour one of the kids in white t-shirts, blue jeans, with their feet in focus - it's one of my favourite photos of all time
    Rudishoes, AKA Jo at It's A Creative World!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Yet another vote for Kirsty here! She took some beautiful photos of dd including the one in my avatar and some others that are on her site. Was so pleased for them and will definitely be going back for more.

Lianne xx